The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boat Show Trailers, Road Runner
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lead Chucker

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a road runner trailer with bunks and guides on the side.
Trailer seems well built. Just made a 350 mile trip with a CD-22 on it. I just got the boat so haven't had a lot of experience launching and retrieving but so far its been easy to use.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a Road Runner trailer for my 22' CD.
It was made for launching/retrieving set net skiffs in the surf.
It has bunks and side bunks. The axle is a single but 6000# rated.
Works excellent on the beach and does well on the road. The trailer is well built and was 2/3 the price of the "other" brands.
I would buy another if needed.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall my model is 4500 tandem, it's not stressed with our 22 anywhere we've gone, couple of interesting Colorado River bank launches above Yuma showed the low bunk position was helpful
cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C Val
Quote:
I slid the winch arm up near the top of the post and then added the oak wedge and then put the strap under the roller instead of over it. That was the magic number for my boat.

I just got a Road Runner trailer 4500# and I am having the same problem that you had with the bow roller hitting the eye.

I agree tilting the arm up slightly would solve the problem.

Another possible solution is to replace the bow roller with a double roller system so one roller would go above the eye and one would go below.

Here is an example of what I am thinking https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/p-7899-bow-stop-assy-twin-3-bow-roller-and-end-bells.aspx

The roller is very well priced $24 US but it is almost $70 US to ship it to Canada or it is $150 CAD to buy it here. I am hesitant to spend the money to get one unless I know it will work well.

Has anyone tried one of these double rollers? Do you think it would work to solve the problem and keep the boat tight on the trailer?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandra glad you found a new trailer! Is yours the bunk or roller version? Is the bow roller arm already positioned up as far as possible on the post? When I first got my 2016 Roadrunner (roller) the bow roller / winch extension arm was placed as high as possible on the post, and the bow eye came right under the bow roller. The dealer did some additional adjustments and now the bow roller arm is positioned about half way up the post and yet the bow eye is still just under it. Maybe the roller trailers sit lower for some reason, although I always thought the opposite was true. Here's a link to a pic of the current configuration...
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album2639&id=Truck_For_Sale_3&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

cgypsy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I first got my 2016 Roadrunner (roller) the bow roller / winch extension arm was placed as high as possible on the post, and the bow eye came right under the bow roller.

Mike - I got a 2016 RoadRunner Trailer with bunks. I bought it used, but it hadn't been used much.

The winch was about half way up the post and I adjusted it both up and down and it really didn't seem to sit where I wanted it to. I could get the eye to go just above the roller but then it felt like it was pulling the boat up instead of down onto the trailer and it seemed to bounce around.

I ended up moving it so that the eye is just barely above the roller and the strap is wrapped underneath. The boat was way more stable but the boat should be resting against the roller. Right now the hook is resting against the roller.

My next project is some kind of guide or side bunk. I am also going to put slicks on the front part of my bunks and I am a big fan of anti-skid tape on the fenders so I need to get lots of that.

I know my old trailer was a little undersized and a single axel (neither of these is good) but it was also a lot lower and it was a lot easier to get in and out of the boat. Now I have to make way more effort and I have twice as much anti-skid tape to buy.

I hope to see you in Powell River.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Bob mentioned, the Transom should be supported by the bunks. AS you move the bow post and roller up and down, know that that will affect the for and aft positioning of the boat on the trailer. That will change where the transom is located in relation to the end of the bunks. Be careful that the transom is not being suspended past (aft) of the bunk ends.

Another thought on the trailers. The wheel covers (fenders) can make a good step to get up into the boat, but be careful if they are not steel. My Pacific trailer has good sturdy fenders I use all the time for boarding from the trailer. (I saw a bad accident one time where a fellow climbed onto his fender (a plastic or fiberglass one) and it gave way, causing him to fall through and break his leg in the marina parking lot.

I just finished a project where I lowered my bunks about 2.5 inches. It was a pretty big project, but I think a very good investment into easier launch and retrieve. Some other advantages: lower Center of Gravity when towing (cornering) and stopping, less windage when towing, easier access to the boat from the trailer, and now it just looks faster. A single con: I think it makes the boat look smaller.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

pix of the old single axle Pacific

cgypsy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the Transom should be supported by the bunks. AS you move the bow post and roller up and down, know that that will affect the for and aft positioning of the boat on the trailer.

It is all a very tricky business. When I first put the boat on the trailer the bunks extended 3 inches behind the boat and my transducer was sitting on the bunk.

I started repositioning everything and now my boat overhangs about 6 inches behind the bunks. The position of the boat front to back will affect the tongue weight - another big issue that doesn't get discussed too much.

I can change the position the forward/back of the support pole as well as the height of the bow roller/winch so between those two adjustments I can keep the boat in the same position on the trailer.

My tongue weight is about 12% of the trailer weight when my gas tanks are empty so I wouldn't want it much further forward because the tongue weight would be just too heavy.

I would love to lower the bunks but that is not happening in the near future. It is so much harder to climb into the boat now.

Quote:
The wheel covers (fenders) can make a good step to get up into the boat, but be careful if they are not steel

And still be careful even if they are steel. I plan to cover mine with anti-skid tape.
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandra, you are right in that moving the boat on the trailer will have an effect on the tongue weight. If you are over the rear of the bunk boards by 6" you sure don't want to move the boat aft, and at 12% tongue weight, you are on the heavy side there.

Possibilities: 1. Move the bunks back some once you get the boat bow and winch post settled. or 2. Move the axles forward. (You might be able to move just one but I doubt it. 3. Leave where it is, and load the tanks and cockpit of the boat when towing to rebalance it slightly.

I would probably do #3, as it makes the easiest sense.

And YES to the non skid tape. Liberally applied is good.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My winch was too low and the bow eye wasn't in the right place. It was right level with the front roller. Instead of raising the winch, I lowered the front of the bunks one position. If you look at the difference between how Sleepy C sits compared to the picture of SeaDuced, the bow of SeaDuced sits higher. Lowering the front of SeaDuced bunks 1.5" would probably lower the eye 3 inches. The bow would sit lower into the Y of the frame where there usually isn't a cross member to interfere.

My boot strip doesn't sit level now, in fact it probably tips forward even more than Sleepy C. But I don't care that it doesn't look perfectly "level" once on the trailer. I want the bow low for better eye position, easier loading, and lowered weight when trailering. Lowering the winch might be easiest when the boat is on the trailer, but adjusting the front of the bunks might be a better long term solution.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting all these adjustments just right I found quite tricky.
You right that lowering the bunks at the front will lower the bow eye.
The other side of that equation is on my trailer to lower the front bunks you have to slide them down (closer to the center) of the "U" shaped cross-member

Mine were slid so much so that I thought I was beginning to loose lateral stability. That is why I put them back and adjusted the winch instead

My life would have been easier if the winch post had of been 6" longer.

1988 22' Angler
cgypsy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Instead of raising the winch, I lowered the front of the bunks one position.

Interesting idea. I'm not sure if I can do that, but I will look at it more closely. It may also make it easier to get on the trailer.
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say shame on Roadrunner for using such a low winch post for a trailer that carries a 22 foot boat. This should have been corrected by now.

If your (C-Gypsy) winch post is the same as C-Val's the it should be replaced in my opinion. See my winch post on my trailer photo.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Fishin C wrote:
I say shame on Roadrunner for using such a low winch post for a trailer that carries a 22 foot boat. This should have been corrected by now.

If your (C-Gypsy) winch post is the same as C-Val's the it should be replaced in my opinion. See my winch post on my trailer photo.

Stephan, I went looking for you trailer photo. Help Confused Can you narrow it down, album page #, position, or bring it to the thread. (Lt click on the photo, Right click for the menu, Lt click on the "copy image address", go to your current new post, paste the copied address, then highlight it and click on the Image button above the "post reply" box.

Maybe that will help.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"...absolutely no protection from the boat sliding forward under sudden stop."

My simple solution:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=AU-KAI&id=Bow_tie_down_001&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Nickel-coated turnbuckle has been replaced by a stainless one and clear tubing replaced the carpet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: