HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

anchoring etiquette

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMcD

State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Photos: DMcD
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: anchoring etiquette Reply with quote

We have a 16' Cruiser that we use primarily as a mothership for our kayaks on Lake Guntersville (Tennessee River) in North Alabama. We like to find an interesting creek or piece of shoreline, anchor, and paddle for a couple of hours.

My question stems from an ongoing disagreement about the best place to anchor. My wife wants to go as close to shore as possible so as to be completely out of anyone's way. I, however, prefer to anchor where there is still about 9 feet of water. Having paddled all along these shores I've seen all kinds of sunken tree trunks and algae covered boulders that I'd rather not run into with the C-Dory.

So is it considered to rude to leave a boat anchored offshore like this?
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with your wife. I anchor in 4-5' of water in a cove or wide creek out of the way.

David
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not at all considered rude or a breach of etiquette. The only main rule is to not anchor somewhere that your boat will swing into another, as wind and current shift. Of course give people privacy, be desecrate about closeness. Some places I have seen boats so close you could actually step from one to another (and not be rafted together).

One rule is that the first boat has priority. If for some reason--as in West Coast where swells come into the harbor, the first boat has a bow and stern anchor, all other boats should follow suit, if they are near the first boat.

In many lakes where there is no "tidal" change--Lakes will go up and down, depending on water discharge, as per power demand from a generating station or flooding-- we anchor with stern to the beach, put a bow anchor out 50 or feet and then two stern anchors, deadman or stakes to the stern, bottom in only a few inches of water. Best to do this in an area of clear visibility. I use the "down scan" and run by a place where I am gong to anchor to the beach, to look for debris etc.

Lakes where the trees were cut, and the stumps left are a particular worry. Also "Deadfalls" where wind has blown down many trees. Another near shore (and occasionally off the shore) are cables, from construction or logging operations in the past.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On lakes and rivers, we also prefer to get as far off the cruisers path as ...safely...possible, IAW Bob's excellent points.

You could also anchor pointing towards the wakes and wrap a floating yellow poly line around a tree onshore using your kayak back to your boat. To depart, detach one of the two ends on your boat and pull ‘er in while idling away, no need to go ashore again.

Another issue of ‘etiquette’ is for any passing boat to slow to minimum or no wake to avoid rocking or capsizing an anchored boat near shore. It’s a shame so many boat owners don’t know that.

Have fun!
John

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
...Another issue of ‘etiquette’ is for any passing boat to slow to minimum or no wake to avoid rocking or capsizing an anchored boat near shore. It’s a shame so many boat owners don’t know that.

They probably know but just don't give a **it about others. However, if the situation were reversed and they got waked, they'd be complaining the loudest.

I got waked once in a channel on the ICW by a yacht over 100' long. I had to get out of their way. No way were they going to slow down for a little boat like mine, never mind the No Wake Zone.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! anchoring is sure different in different areas. The difference between 9 and 5 feet around here would only move the boat a few feet (5 - 10) in position.

If you are anchoring in a traffic area, channel or common way, you should be hanging an "at anchor" day display (12" at least Black sphere or 2 intersecting black circles) and at night an all around white light. If those are displayed you should be OK in the 9 foot depth, but I would certainly try and be out of the way of any commercial (tug and tow type) vessels.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to shapes and lights: There are some deviations from the hard copy and even the internet published "Navigation Rules and Regulations" (which I keep aboard, for nothing other than to double check lights on various working craft.)

There is another set of codes, including as part of the Code of Federal Regulations Title 33 part 110 dealing with anchoring

Quote:
INTERNATIONAL—
Lights and Shapes
RULE 30—CONTINUED
(e) A vessel of less than 7 meters in length, when at anchor, not in or near
a narrow channel, fairway or anchorage, or where other vessels normally
navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shape prescribed in
paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Rule. (f) A vessel of less than 12 meters in
length, when aground, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shapes
prescribed in subparagraphs (d)(i) and (ii) of this Rule.

—INLAND—
Lights and Shapes
RULE 30—CONTINUED
(e) A vessel of less than 7 meters in length, when at anchor, not in or near
a narrow channel, fairway, anchorage, or where other vessels normally
navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shape prescribed in
paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Rule.
(f) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length when aground shall not be
required to exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in subparagraphs (d)(i)
and (ii) of this Rule.
(g) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length, when at anchor in a special
anchorage area designated by the Secretary [of Transportation], shall not be required to exhibit the anchor lights and shapes required by this Rule.

Seven Meters is 22.965 feet...so many our out boats less than that are exempted. in certain anchorages.
I always carried two black interlocking discs of 24" diameter (0.6 meters) and often flew it in the fore triangle of my larger sailboats when at anchor. This is required when cruising international waters. Also a sailboat under power, with any sail up, should be flying a downward pointing cone in the fore triangle.

There are a number designated anchorages which are delineated in the most recent copy of the on line Coast Pilot for each district. Theoretically those of us with 24 foot on up boats should be flying the anchor shape, of a 24" round ball....The reality is that very very few do. I don't have one on my C Dory 25.

However I always have the anchor light on--and often a deck light. Sometimes even a deck light at each end of the boat. Consider you come into an anchorage, and the all around anchor light is 65 feet in the air on top of a mast..Many small boats will miss it--especially a pilot house boat like the C Dory. Deck lights are mandatory on some larger vessels and optional in smaller ones, as long as they are not confused for navigation lights. (like red and green rope lights!!)

The best reason to have a shape and anchor light is: That if you are run down, even at anchor, in many jurisdictions you will be found at fault because you did not display the proper shape or light.

Harvey, some places around here you might go miles between finding 5' and 9' of water even in the open Gulf of Mexico.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who has "right of way"? So, what if I'm anchored in a channel and cannot move
(out of power, too sick, can't see, aground, etc), am I Nuc (Not under command),
Ram (Restricted in ability to maneuver) or Cbd (Constituted by draft)?

PECKING ORDER and PRIORITY OF VESSELS: this is supposed to help

Rule 18 of the Navigation Rules gives the right of way priority between vessels,
when not in conflict with special rules for channels, traffic lanes, or when
overtaking.

Rule 3 defines the types of vessels. It’s essential to memorize the order. The
highest priority goes to an overtaken vessel (all overtaking vessels stay out of
the way). In descending order, the others are: Not Under Command, Restricted in
Ability to Maneuver, Constrained by Draft, fishing vessel, sailing vessel, power
driven vessel, seaplane (lowest priority).

Aye.
Grandpa used to say, "Always know who is the Big Dog".

DMcD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of great information here - thanks.

I would never anchor near the marked river channel as there is barge/tug traffic, but the rest of the lake often seems like a free-for-all with water-skiers and bass boats zooming every which way. Getting right up on the shoreline, however, invariably leaves me in a propeller-fowling submerged forrest of milfoil and hydrilla. If I stop just before the milfoil is visible below the surface I'm usually between 6 and 9 foot depth.

As far as looping a stern-line to a tree, the typical shoreline created by a TVA dam is a nightmare of undergrowth and poison ivy.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as looping a stern-line to a tree, the typical shoreline created by a TVA dam is a nightmare of undergrowth and poison ivy.

Anchoring conditions vary by region. It is not at all unusual in the PNW where Harvey boats to have steep drop offs, and pine or similar trees along the banks--also rocks--where we used either heavy polypropylene rope or chains. (Did the same in parts of the Med). Where we live, there is a sand shore, with a gradual slope in most areas.

If you cannot take a line ashore--then a stern anchor can easily be paddled out with a dinghy or kayak, to keep your bow headed into the wakes which come along.

We did about 800 miles of the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers last Sept--and certainly much of the area was as you describe. We have also spent a lot of time on Pickwick Lake--most likely down stream from where you boat--and one of our best friends lives on the lake. He will not keep his boat at the dock many days, because of the wakes. (Has a marine railroad for the 26' classic mahogany runabout).

I would only anchor in a sheltered cover along Pickwick's banks. An example is Dry Creek, which is about 20 feet deep in the middle, and a steep "high bank". We hope to explore some of the backwaters of the upper Tennessee and Cumberland this next Sept.
DMcD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are the benefits of adding a stern anchor to keep the bow into the wakes? Is is mostly to limit the annoyance of the rolling response to the passing waves while still aboard?
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMcD wrote:
what are the benefits of adding a stern anchor to keep the bow into the wakes? Is is mostly to limit the annoyance of the rolling response to the passing waves while still aboard?

Yes, boats handle head seas far better than abeam seas. There is more waterline length, and less frontal area, to cause rocking vs rolling....

A wake on the beam can literally roll you out of the bunk--from ahead, it may be noisy and awaken you--but you won't roll out...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: