The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Should I Buy a Trailer to Help Sell
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mclaughlinrk

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Prop Duster
Photos: Prop Duster
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Should I Buy a Trailer to Help Sell Reply with quote

I am selling my 2006 C-Dory 25 and wanted to get opinions of other members about the value of a trailer. Would it be worth buying one to help sell the boat? I can get a new one for $3800 and obviously would like to recover that cost in the sales price. Would it be a lot easier to sell the boat with a trailer or would a potential buyer rather purchase it on their own?

I plan to have the boat detailed and waxed and not having one also makes that a pain since it sits on my lift. As usual your opinions are valued.

Thanks,

Kyle
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely think that having a trailer would make it easier to facilitate a sale. All of the C Dory models are so easy to trailer and it seems that so many of the folks on here DO trailer them a lot. I would assume that most of the CD buyers would want/need a trailer.
Darkwater

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Darkwater
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that $3800 for a good quality galvanized trailer? If I recall correctly, a quality trailer for a CD 25 on the west coast runs about $6k and up (e.g. Pacific Trailer).

If the prospective buyer knows trailers, he or she may be turned away by having to buy a possibly short-lived and troublesome trailer with the boat...? Good luck with your sale!

C-Ray 230DA sold Aug 2013
Retired Dec 2013
2008 C-Dory 22 Cruiser (unnamed) Jun 2014
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would be tempted to show the boat, find the buyer, and give an allowance for the trailer of their choice.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
I think I would be tempted to show the boat, find the buyer, and give an allowance for the trailer of their choice.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

If I was buying, that would be my choice. Then I could get the trailer of my choosing and I would be much happier with that situation. Different strokes for different folks.... same goes for trailers. I found the boat I wanted, and eventually did the upgrade on the trailer to have a matched set.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know from experience that some banks will not loan money to buy a boat unless it has a trailer to (so they could take the boat if someone did not pay on the loan). So it may give you more available buyers, who would need financing to buy it, if you get a trailer.
Rain

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Glory
Photos: C-Glory
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about offering the boat without a trailer and offering to purchase the one of the buyer's choice for them once the deal is documented and you have earnest money in hand?

I would not purchase a cheap trailer in advance of knowing that is a buyer's choice.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often said: the best accessory for a C-Dory is the trailer. It is part of what makes these boats so versatile. Like Darkwater, I would be suspect of a $3,800 trailer for a 25. It may be the deal of the year, but the trailer is an investment in the boat - I would not cut corners. The factory has under-estimated the weight of these boat, loaded and ready to roll.

Good luck with the sale.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that it is going to be an unusual $3800 trailer for a C Dory 25. I bought my C Dory 25 in New Jersey. There was no trailer. I bought a trailer, which was marginal, and it was in the $4500 range about 8 years ago. You want a trailer with at least a 8500 lb capacity (including trailer weight.

A load the size of the C Dory25, needs electric over hydraulic in some Canadian Prov. I personally feel that the E / H brakes are an essential addition for many of the folks who tow over Western mountains.

I would not be surprised to spend over $6,000 for a good trailer for a C Dory 25.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Trailers on the internet for the East and Gulf Coast. There are not many which have the prices given. One which seemed a little on the light side, was $5,500. Many of the trailers give "capacity"--as the total weight load on the axle--or Gross Vehicular weight. The weight carrying capacity however, is that minus the weight of the trailer frame, axle, wheels tires etc. In one case, even with an aluminum frame, the GVW was 1200# over the carrying capacity.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get lucky like we did and find a suitable lightly used trailer for a good price, I would recommend it. They are a big selling aid and it may be worth buying one up front if it would help you show or service or prep the boat. But follow the advice of others and get a solid trailer with plenty of capacity, good brakes, and galvanized or aluminum.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I would not buy a trailerable boat without a trailer. That being said, if the price seemed otherwise fair on the boat, I would automatically offer about $6500 less to add a trailer. Personally, I think you'd be better off already having a decent trailer for it. (I'd say get a good trailer also, as if I felt I was going to have to get a new trailer, again, I'd offer about $6500 less.) JMHO! Colby
mclaughlinrk

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Prop Duster
Photos: Prop Duster
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Venture 8725 Reply with quote

The trailer is an aluminum Venture 8725 that I was quoted with 8725lb carrying capacity. I was quoted prices all the way up in the 6k range for that same rig from some dealers.
jbdba01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the museum of what it's worth...I looked at your boat and thought it would sell quickly until I saw "no trailer".

I have decided that aluminum trailers are for me, and when I've been looking at boats that stands out. Perhaps it's a personal preference, but I've had galv and alum and swore from then on aluminum.

Now...that said, the fact that I would have to get a new trailer for the boat is not a deal breaker. I would have to factor that into the deal. If I'm coming up with $6K I would probably think you would have to eat the lion's share of that. Technically it's all funny money at negotiating time.

Bottom line - When I saw the $3800 trailer I was thinking that would probably be a cheaper trailer; I would get my own trailer and negotiate it into the deal.

Good luck...
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle,

Certainly a trailer boat for sale will catch someone's eye, if it has a trailer. Comments made by other posters do make a lot of sense and a trailer for a prospective buyer, if it came with the boat would typically increase the overall value of the boat. The value added would not be much different though, if the trailer was aluminum or galvanized steel.

I'm guessing that your quote for a trailer was from Ed's Marine... True, they do offer prices for everything they sell that are hard to beat, but be careful dealing with them, as they have a very dismal following for customer service, once the sale is out the door.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: