The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CD25 cabin / cockpit bulkhead question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom on Icarus

City/Region: Campbell River, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tranquil~C
Photos: Tranquil~C
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: CD25 cabin / cockpit bulkhead question. Reply with quote

Recently I have noticed a little bit of fresh water getting into the cabin on the floor at the aft end. I am pretty sure it is coming out from the open channel in the step box at the door.
My question is this. Is there access for water to enter the cabin from the cockpit or is that bulkhead solid right to the hull? I have never removed the cockpit floor over the fuel tank to see for myself. Also, this is the first winter that I have left the boat in the marina so it may have a little more rainwater in the bilge than usual.
As a footnote the cockpit bilge pump is functioning and there is never a buildup of too much water visible through the hatches. Also, the water has only appeared when the boat is rocking around pretty good or when I have taken her out for a run so some water may be sloshing into an opening in the bulkhead below the cockpit floor.
Funny that I have never seen this before in the regular season even after heavy rains.
Any information and advice from the brats will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Cheers, Tom

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever we had some freshwater anywhere in the cabin of our 25 (an it always ends up where you are finding it, I was able to trace it to a fitting of the fresh water system. I think I had four minor leaks during our ownership. Three of which were in the sink/head hoses. Never noticed a good spot for water to migrate from cockpit to cabin.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2008, will be slightly different than our 2003, but yes, there is a hole from the cockpit to the sump, which is under that step as you go into the cabin.

Several areas where water can get in. First the hatches on the cockpit floor are certainly not tight. It is possible that the caulking around the bulkhead may leak--but that should be easily spotted. The seal around the cabin door leaves some to be desired.

There is at least one case of rot in the bulkhead of the 25 around the bottom. The aft bulkhead is balsa cored. It should be glassed in on both sides (under the cockpit deck, and the cabin under sink, step and locker aft.

Where the water goes when the boat is in the water can vary with trim. Often it does go forward. There is one way to find out how the pumps are working. There is a counter which cycles each time the bilge pump goes on--and that is put in series with the wiring. One for each pump will give some idea. Be sure that the pumps are always working properly .

Do you have a slant back cover over the cockpit? If not these, are very worth while. They don't get rid of 100% of the water, but in the 80 + % range.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
We had that problem on Meander. Turned out to be no caulking between the bottom of the bulk head and the hull. The cockpit access hatch had to be pulled and then caulking added all along the bulkhead bottom. No problem since the factory guys repaired it in 2006. If you pull the cockpit cover check out your fuel tank while you have the cover off.
Cheers
Ron
PS: don't forget to put the PRCBGT on your calendar! Laughing
Tom on Icarus

City/Region: Campbell River, Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Tranquil~C
Photos: Tranquil~C
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I will be pulling the cockpit hatch and have a good look in there when I haul out next and I'll be sure to check all of the water fittings as well.
I have thought that a slope back cover would be good to have as well but never got around to getting one made.
Cheers, Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: