The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cdory light sizes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutch123

City/Region: Prince George
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Reel Action
Photos: Reel Action
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Cdory light sizes Reply with quote

Hello folk, just looking at led lights for my 22 cruiser but the boat is in storage right now so I'm not sure of the proper bulbs needed, can someone give me the bulb sizes needed for the nav and anchor lights please? Thanks a ton.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my anchor/running LED bulb at Marinebeam online. The shipping cost more than the bulb. I did not bother with Nav light bulbs as they are only on when I'm running and the engine charging the batteries looks after that.
There is a ton of information if you type in Anchor Light Bulb in the Google Custom Search box, top left hand corner.
Martin.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reel Action,

I too have recently considered replacing my incandescent bulbs in my 22 with LED's. My boat is an '01, so it most likely has the same lights (one mounted above the door, aft in the cabin and one on the aft port bulkhead in the forward cabin), as your boat.

Made a trip out to the dock today in the snow to find out about the bulbs...
The bulbs in OSPREY's lights are Perko 0070DP0CLR, 1 11/16" x 3/8" (this would be 42.9 mm in length), 0.74 amps, 10 watts, 12 VDC. Each light fixture has two bulbs.

Lastly, I have not done any homework on replacements in LED, so I'll be searching also.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch, I think it is a good idea to switch to LED lights like you are thinking. Do it once and you are done changing bulbs there if you make sure you have good seals. I switched mine to LED several seasons ago, and that is the last time I had those covers off.

I know it would be easy if someone just gives you a number an you go order it on line. When I did that I had to go back and re-order because the first bulbs didn't fit. It might have been my fault because I asked for a brighter bulb, which was physically larger than the original, so it was not an exact remove and replace.

There may be some differences in the hardware that C-Dory used, although from your boat year, I don't remember if that is an issue. It is best if you pull your bulb and go from there.

At the time I did mine there was quit a bit of activity on the site re LED lights so a search for "led AND navigation AND replacement" should be pretty fruitful.

It would take some digging for me to come up with what I used and I'm not by the boat right now, but could come up with that when I'm home next week.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Harvey,
We put in an LED anchor light, and stayed with the same nav lights.

There have been several different bulbs in the anchor lights thru the years. If you find someone with a 2001, you probably will have the same, but not 100%.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dutch123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks for the help guys, looks like I may have to trudge through the snow as well to check exactly what I have just to make sure.
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered LED replacement bulds for the slide fixtures in the cabin and vberth from marinebeam.com. The warm white are on sale for $9.50 ea. Need two per fixture. Part FS-42-06-WW. This is the 42mm festoon style.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a moment on break here, but there is a thread that gives the Marine Beam part numbers, I believe. I ordered their bulbs for the all-around and the sidelights. Yes, the engine is on and charging by definition when the sidelights are on, but another benefit of LED bulbs is that they are less prone to vibration issues (filament breaking, etc.). So for the durability I got them for the sidelights too (I also got their LED bulbs for my interior light fixtures, btw - on my year boat those are also festoon bulbs).

I made sure to keep the original wire and fuse sizes because I kept the original incandescent bulbs as spares (I mention this as a friend said "oh, you can go with really small wire/fuse now since LED's don't draw much." Technically true, but since the Marine Beam bulbs don't replace the fixture, and a "regular" bulb can still be put in the fixture (and that's what I have for spares), I wanted to keep the full ampacity/fusing for the incandescent bulbs.)
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there is a compelling need, I can't imagine why anyone would change any perfectly good lights other than the amps drawing battery killing anchor lights. I changed mine with an LED and eliminated a battery completely. It's kind of nice actually....
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
Unless there is a compelling need, I can't imagine why anyone would change any perfectly good lights other than the amps drawing battery killing anchor lights.

I just mentioned this above, but I changed the sidelights too (in addition to the all-around), because incandescent filaments are somewhat prone to vibration damage, and since I trailer and of course bang around some on the water, I figured why not have the more durable LED bulbs? (I didn't have spare bulbs at all, so would have been buying another set of something in any case.) I got the idea from another C-Brat - maybe it was Rogerbum? Anyway, I thought it sounded like a good one so did it.

Not to say anyone should change the sidelights to LED if they don't want to, but that's one reason someone might.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennharriet wrote:
I just ordered LED replacement bulds for the slide fixtures in the cabin and vberth from marinebeam.com. The warm white are on sale for $9.50 ea. Need two per fixture. Part FS-42-06-WW. This is the 42mm festoon style.

I replaced the incandescent bulbs in all my Perko cabin lights with this type of LED array. They were about $1.50 each and come in warm white.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Warm-White-48-SMD-Panel-LED-Festoon-T10-BA9S-Interior-Map-Dome-Light-Bulbs-/251488487498?hash=item3a8de1c84a:g:CzQAAOxyc2pTZcVC&vxp=mtr

I cut a piece of scrap PVC "lumber" to use as a standoff. Glued the standoff to the interior of the fixture and glued the array to the standoff. I just crimped the wires together without using the festoon adapter.

Worked out really well. The LED array gives more and wider illumination than the single original bulb.

I replaced the nav lights with double ended LED arrays in cool white. You need bulbs that are ~39-42 mm. The tabs holding the light will bend so the bulb size is not critical. For the nav lights you need to get arrays that are multi directional (not flat). These have multiple arrays at different angles. You can also get these bulbs in colors so you can put a red or green LED in the appropriate fixture (although the nav light fixtures are usually meant for white lights).

For the anchor light you need an LED replacement for a #90 bulb. Some LED replacement bulbs can be too tall for the fixture. This is the one I got:

https://store.marinebeam.com/replacement-for-ge89-and-ge90-attwood-perko-bayonets/

It is much brighter than the bulb it replaced.

I once found a company that makes an LED replacement for the anchor light that includes an automatic sensor to switch the light off and on. It was kind of pricey so I just got a 12volt day/night sensor and wired that in instead. I have a switch that puts the anchor light in automatic or manual mode.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon after purchasing my C-22 used, I replaced the anchor light fixture with an entirely new LED fixture, that folded down. (Wanted something higher than my roof installed radar dome and that could fold down out of the way of the cover when it was put on. That fixture was, or something very close to:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TLFIIR2?psc=1

As for my cabin lights, I replaced the bulbs with LEDs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KI6M1G2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_49&smid=A2HQM2G8I8CMKS

And finally, for the Nav lights:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWA6OEI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3IZHOEADOGAP0

(I may have gotten the nav and cabin lights mixed up, but I'm pretty sure the nav lights are the festune style.) I have been very happy with the operation of the LED's. You do have to be sure to put them in correctly as they are "polarized", that is, + is + and can't be reversed. (If you do reverse them, they just don't work until you turn them around.) Regarding the comment about why's it matter as the nav lights will only be on while the engine is running anyway.... there might be a time one is running at night on a kicker that is not putting out electricity, and if you are like me with a lot of electronics, and one main accessory wire going to the fuse hub, the more I can reduce my power consumption, the better! Smile Colby
dutch123

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good info here for sure. Anytime the load on the electrical system can be reduced that is a good thing. From my experience I have realized a dramatic increase in bulb life when using led's as well. 👍
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutch123 wrote:
Some good info here for sure. Anytime the load on the electrical system can be reduced that is a good thing. From my experience I have realized a dramatic increase in bulb life when using led's as well. 👍

I agree, and as to why change a perfectly working light, I got tired of replacing my side navigation lights almost every year. Not because I was using them too much, but, at least IMHO due to vibration issue. The LED's have been in place for several years now without replacement, and work every time. They also use less electricity so are lightening the work load on the electrical system.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best price I could find for the LED replacements for the Aqua Signal nav lights on our 1999 Cdory 22. I ordered the warm white from ledlightbulbs.net. The total for 2 bulbs with shipping was comparable to 1 bulb from marine beam.

2.6W Festoon 44mm the dimple boats Navigation led bulbs, 10~40V
$6.50

Festoon led bulbs with the dimple, Navigation Festoon LED Replacement Bulb, 44mm, Cool White/Warm White, 8-40VDC (2.6W), Omni-Directional, Dimpled Barrel End Contacts. This high output LED cluster festoon style bulb easily exceeds the brightness level of the 10W incandescent bulb it replaces. It has panels on five different planes, each containing 6 SMD LEDs for a total of 30 LEDs delivering crisp white light beyond 3 nautical miles. The dimpled barrel end contacts are made to fit the popular Aqua Signal Series 25 navigation lights. It replaces the 12V festoon bulb #ASL-902007 or the 24V #ASL-902017. The warm white version is best suited for red, green, or bi-color combo fixtures as it will render the red or green color more accurately. Although these may also be used for mast-head & stern lights, our cool white version is an even better choice for these applications.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: