Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: CG Approved Alternative to Flares Reply with quote

To go along with our recent thread on flares and their storage, I just saw this.

http://www.woodenboatstore.com/product/boat-gear-sos-distress-light-and-flag?r=wbstnews.wed.01.20.16/

As long as batteries are good it never needs to be replaced. I don't think of it as one or the other but, rather, in addition too. Might allow one to " extend " the useful life of flares??? Common sense or one's judgement would then be needed to determine how long useful is and when to replace flares. That and a supply of batteries!

Because I was where I was
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did discuss this in the fairly recent past. The major objection is that you have to be a bit above the water to get any range. There are any number of cheap lights which will give you good location by flashing S O S.

Another issue, is that a lot of folks do not understand the Morse code for distress:

... --- ...

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=23337&highlight=sos

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In spite of all their problems, they do represent a Coast Guard approved alternate to flares. They're a good buy.

We have had them or Journey On for years. As a result, we have no flares to dispose. And we I hope, also fulfill the requirements.

Boris
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: flares Reply with quote

looks like a good alternative, with flares as backup . The power Squadron was saying that flares last a long time so just keep them as backup and carry extra batteries . I also think it all depends how far your cruising is going to be . Making day trips I think these light would work fine .
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flares for my Orion pistol are all expired. When looking for new ones, all I could find was an extended length (which sticks out the barrel about an inch). The new ones are labelled as 7 second aerial flares (as opposed to the 5 second shorter flares) and are intended for my pistol. That's great, but the longer ones won't fit in my flare gun kit. Are the older style even available?

Whenever I look at the viability of safety equipment, I picture in my mind the conditions under which they would be used (and I scare myself, which is good). The floating SOS blinking light I see as the perfect solution were my boat sinking on a calm night 300 yards offshore from a retirement home for skippers and pilots. It would be calm enough for them to see and understand the ...---... message. But in my mind, I want something something that can be seen through 5 foot breaking waves from an exposed rock 2 miles offshore. Something that even a child would say "I just saw some fireworks out there." I don't really care which one the USCG says meets their requirements.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Are you saying that you cannot use the 12 gauge cannot be used because they protrude beyond the barrel of the flare pistol? Or are they a different caliber than the 12 ga standard? The longer flares will work fine out of any of the 12 gauge flare guns.

Agree, that I personally would much rather have a flare, than the SOS light--but most of my flashlights either have the S O S signal, or are push button activated.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got my ham license, though should have. I did learn the code, , , once, a long time ago.

dit dit dit dah dah dah dit dit

or

. . . _ _ _ . . .

or how I learned to teach it to my kids:

3 times, in a hurry then slow down and be careful and then get the message out, 3 times.

I think a flare, pistol launched is still the best, although in the daytime a smoke will be seen and noticed much sooner,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a combination of the light and flares would work better than either one alone.

Turn on the light, then fire a flare or two. If they see the flare, they can home in on the light. Flares only burn for a few seconds, whereas the light is on for many hours.

Another good use for the light is to complement a DSC emergency call on a DSC VHF radio. (The red push button.)

Standard Horizon now has a handheld VHF with GPS, DSC and the red mayday push button. Get your call out there, and have the light for them to home in on.

If I am shipwrecked, I would want all three; flares, Vhf DSC radio, and the light.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

The new 12 gauge flares that I've seen look like these.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Orion-12-Gauge-HP-Red-Aerial/16326928

They have an extension that will hang out the end of my pistol. The advertising copy says that they fit all Orion flare guns, but they won't fit in the molded slots in my Orion bulkhead mounted flare gun/ammo case. I haven't seen the shorter ones when I google Orion aerial flares.

I could buy the new Orion case that fits the new shells (for $140).

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Orion-12-Gauge-Aerial-Flare-Gun-Handheld-Flare-Smoke-Signal-Kit&i=74456

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Orion-Skyblazer-II-Aerial-Signal-Flare-Kit&i=90500

I like these because you do not need a gun to shoot them. I have one in all my life jackets. I also carry one while duck hunting as there are very few boat around but I am in a mile or two of homes.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have looked at this new floating SOS light. It's really over priced, but still cheaper than replacing flares every several years. (Seems like most places have flares that are already a few years old! Sad While the floating lantern may be fine as some have said, on flat calm water, a red flare launched many feet into the air is going to grab a lot more attention! And when you think about it, when you need it is probably not going to be on flat calm water. That being said, I too have the smaller little lights that can be attached to one's PFD. My hope is the flare will get the help on the way and on scene, the little light is going to help them find me! Colby
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flares have their issues, for sure. Fhe failure rate for the pencil style ones is so high I quit using them. I only trust the ones laun hed from the pistol. They have decent hang time, and are a lot brighter that the pencil ones.

However, I am really leery of strobes. There have been a couple bar pilots down here, over the years who spent a long time bouncing around in the water, who could see the USCG helo, but the helo couldmnot see their steobe. Why? because it is a damn blinking light, and with waves obscuring the path of sight every other flash or so, that does not leqv3 much for SAR to spot. The strobes may be certified as an emergency signal, but in rough water, the kind which would put you in the drink, they suck. The local USCG airmen and winch operators hate them.

Smoke is very effective, especially during times when daylight makes flares harder to see.

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
I agree a that true strobe light is nearly impossible to locate in rough conditions. It blinks, and by the time you move your eye to track it, it's off.

The light in question is not a strobe. It is a blinking LED that blinks in S O S mode.

I would like to see one operating at night out on the water.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstoriaDave wrote:
Flares have their issues, for sure. Fhe failure rate for the pencil style ones is so high I quit using them. I only trust the ones laun hed from the pistol. They have decent hang time, and are a lot brighter that the pencil ones.

However, I am really leery of strobes. There have been a couple bar pilots down here, over the years who spent a long time bouncing around in the water, who could see the USCG helo, but the helo couldmnot see their steobe. Why? because it is a damn blinking light, and with waves obscuring the path of sight every other flash or so, that does not leqv3 much for SAR to spot. The strobes may be certified as an emergency signal, but in rough water, the kind which would put you in the drink, they suck. The local USCG airmen and winch operators hate them.

Smoke is very effective, especially during times when daylight makes flares harder to see.

Dave, I'm curious if those pilots were in the water in the daylight or after dark. I'm thinking a strobe firing in the dark would light up around it, including the water, or underwater even, and should not be that hard to see.

As noted on the strobe, it is USCG approved "as a night visual distress signaling" device only. For daytime, the orange flag with the black circle and square is there to meet the requirements to replace the pyrotechnic devices.

I'm thinking this might be a good device to ad to the ditch bag, but it is pretty large.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a commercial fishing permit on Reefmadness. Our flare requirements are more stringent than a recreation boat. I now have 3 complete sets of out dated flares. If you carry outdated flares on board they must be stored in a separate bag than the good flares and clearly marked "FOR PRACTICE ONLY". I got a warning from the CG for having them separate but, not marked properly.

Gene

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: