Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: How To Find Fishing Spots Reply with quote

Just a short vid on finding unique spots.

https://youtu.be/b5ljdWyLR5I

Hope all of you are well and doing great!

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice video. For those of us on the west coast where the water is not so clear and/or where the fishing locations are deeper some of the ideas relating to aerial images are often not applicable but I still liked it. One thing I have found is that some structures are obvious on all maps because the rise across one or more of the standard contour lines on NOAA maps. These contour lines are typically at 30', 60' and 120'. Nice rock piles or reefs that rise up but don't cross a contour line will not be so apparent. E.g. a hum that rises from 119' to 62' deep might not show up at all on a map where as a similar hump that rises from 119' to 55' will. Thus humps that cross contours are more heavily fished than those that don't as the others are often "invisible" on people's maps and plotter. When you find the other kind of humps on your own sounder, they are often better places to fish.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, Matt:

Keeping in mind what Roger mentioned about "unchartered humps" that don't show up on common maps, are there sources of more detailed bottom contours and topographic maps that one could go to to research these less known areas more efficiently than just waiting to find them with depth sounders when transiting to other places?

E.G., does the Navy, the Oceanographic Survey, or other sources have more detailed charts?

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most of you know, I don't fish, so what I'm doing here is really sticking my neck out, and it is meant to be helpful, so if you already know all this, sorry.

Last summer when I was anchoring frequently, I learned something about my Garmin GPSMAP 640. It has two chart systems, one called "Navigation" and one for "Fishing". the Fishing side has a much more detailed bottom picture, and contour lines that are much closer together, and if I remember right, adjustable down to 10 or 20 feet, I think. I used that for anchoring and anchor watch all the time.

I guess, if I was looking, I could see the humps that didn't show on the nav side of the system.

But then, you are probably already using the "Fishing" side, so I'll butt out now.Embarassed

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe: as shown I have the 540, and did get the blue-charts maps. Mine also has the fish/nav feature. Now more to Harvey's point: I think it varies widely as to the accuracy of charting. In my area, there are still warnings (at least up to a few years ago) "not charted since 1866" or some such verbiage and I suspect that goes for not just my area (we are extremely shallow). On the Pacific W Coast (San Diego, San Francisco, Portland) I would suspect due to the intense sub activity from WWII onwards, the bottom contours would have been charted much more accurately than here. Bottom line: I'm kind of in the dark myself, maybe someone else can help us on whether they've radio-or sound - sat-mapped everything in recent years.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I saw that Flagold posted the topic I had to read it....I am not a good fisherman, in fact I don't bother to buy a license anymore as I was never catching anything....waste of time and money for me...discouraged

He has such a creative mind that I just HAD to look.... kinda like one of those bad accidents that you just have to look... weird.

I have built the jet engine, the hobo stove and spent hours looking for gold as he shows in his video's...... this guy should be banned on our website...he gets me in all sorts of trouble...

Joel
SEA3PO
capt. meares

City/Region: Tillamook
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Vianey
Photos: Vianey
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always shocking to me how many c brats dont fish. Having a c dory and not fishing is like growing up in aspen and not skiing.
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capt. meares wrote:
Always shocking to me how many c brats dont fish. Having a c dory and not fishing is like growing up in aspen and not skiing.

Hey Capt Meares, You can fish from an open air tin-can boat. Can't sleep in a warm, dry cabin, fix morning coffee, and have a warm bath in that "tin-can" or cruise in a t-shirt on a 45 degree afternoon. Mr. Green

I love the looks Shocked Rolling Eyes at the gas station $ when I get asked how the fishing was and I say "Oh, I don't fish, just ride and take pictures." Wink I always get back Question Disgust and I just give them the CoolSmile cool look and finish filling the tank.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

capt. meares

City/Region: Tillamook
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Vianey
Photos: Vianey
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha...I wear my t shirt and sip coffee in 40 degree weather for the hour and a half ride all the way out to the Halibut grounds. Not much more in life I would rather do. I agree, Tin can boats have their place, but not so good for staying warm and taking pictures.
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy reading Fladgold variety of videos. Last trip out I would see a lot of fish ,maybe a hump and drop off. Then trying to fgure out drifting, anchor rode and where exactly sonar is reading? Not that easy to get back on spot,usually after a few times just anchored in area,but not exactly where I wanted to.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#@12&key=skwgHxy%7BmV

I use this online program to scout spots. You may have to click the sonar symbol in the bottom left corner. but this map gives you the more detailed map.

many of the new sonar units will record more detailed contour and add it to your map in real time. Dont know a area. Just make a few passes over it and make your own detailed map.

hardee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Patrick wrote:
Enjoy reading Fladgold variety of videos. Last trip out I would see a lot of fish ,maybe a hump and drop off. Then trying to fgure out drifting, anchor rode and where exactly sonar is reading? Not that easy to get back on spot,usually after a few times just anchored in area,but not exactly where I wanted to.

larry, don't know if thei will help, but I figured it out for anchoring. I pick the general area, then criss-cross it, watching the bottom on the sounder and depth, then when I find where I want, I hit the MOB button (Man Over Board) marker on the plotter, then use that to come around an up current or wind to, then as I drift back to that spot I'm letting the anchor down, hopefully to the correct depth as I cross that MOB waypoint, then run rode out as I drift back until I have my scope length choice out, then set the hook there.

Hope that helps.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Larry Patrick wrote:

Larry, don't know if this will help, but I figured it out for anchoring. I pick the general area, then criss-cross it, watching the bottom on the sounder and depth, then when I find where I want, I hit the MOB button (Man Over Board) marker on the plotter, then use that to come around and up current or wind to, then as I drift back to that spot I'm letting the anchor down, hopefully to the correct depth as I cross that MOB waypoint, then run rode out as I drift back until I have my scope length choice out, then set the hook there.

Hope that helps.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my fishing buddies always tells me to mark the area of good fishing.
He says the best way is to just draw an "X" on the water Laughing

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has great ideas for sure - except for maybe the, "just draw an x on the water" - it was funny. I know it is shameful, but I just follow the charters and take note where they are hanging out.....and then come back later and "borrow" their spot. After a while, you kind of figure out they don't really have any or many secret spots either because there is often someone (or 10 someones) there fishing it later. But I do have a few "secret" spots that are very productive for me and I found all of them completely by accident. One of my best is in a bay in the gulf of alaska in deep water where a pinnacle rises 40 feet from the surface. At least up here, when you find a spot like that, there is usually lots of fishing hanging around that structure. You'll catch salmon, rockfish, lings, and even halibut. But honestly though, I don't think about this too much really because if you can't consistently catch loads of fish out of Seward in the summer you are a complete idiot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: