The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/12 - 08/14 - Powell River BC, Canadian CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
I wish I had a way to shrink the size of the Georgia Strait for the PRCBGT but no joy. For some it will be part of the adventure of getting here. I hear you when you mention time constraints and work. The only way to avoid the larger crossing is to trailer. As far a getting through Vancouver, use the truck crossing just a little east of the main Peace Arch border crossing. This will avoid much of the stop and go city driving of getting through Vancouver. It will be mainly two lanes each way with few traffic lights and take you directly to Hiway 1 to Horseshoe Bay ferry. You could choose to launch at Sunset Marina just a few kilometres north of HB and boat up from there.http://www.sunsetmarinaltd.com/en/ That way you'd avoid the ferries and the majority of the big water.
I have not had any real challenges (knock on wood) with Malaspina Strait but I have also been able to pick my times. It is calm right now and has been for much of the month of May. I hope it will also be in August.

If you do decide to take the ferries to Powell River my offer of free launching and free parking should help to offset some of the cost.
Looking forward to seeing you.
Cheers
Ron
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmanic wrote:
[
Thanks for the quick response Pat. If you recall, we ran all the way from PLI to Bellingham 2 years ago in one long day so been there, done that. Although Blaine would've been better than going all the way to Bellingham, I'm looking for a little less time on the water. No I don't fear the Strait, I just have some time constraints. You know that dirty word starting with a W and ending with a K. Something to consider though.

Keep em coming.

I do remember that day! We should have - and could have - stayed in Smuggler's Cove one more day. We did not need to leave and get our fillings knocked out! Certainly the "W" word does complicate things a bit!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron, that's good information. That's exactly the kind of local knowledge I was looking for. I didn't know about the alternate route around Vancouver. That may change everything. I guess what I'm trying to accomplish is to try to stay on the east side rather than crossing over then crossing back. I guess because it just seems more logical to me. As much as we love the Gulf islands, we don't really have a lot of time to spend on that side. We did cross over from Nanaimo 2 years ago and it was an easy crossing and I'm not adverse to doing it again. But this option gets us north of Vancouver and keeps us on the east side. Hmmm...
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

If you chose your option #2, You may have company in the GS crossing. I may be launching from Comox area for that CBGT. As Island Gyspy (I think) noted it isn't a long crossing, and I guess I look at it compared to Juan de Fuca, a 25 mile trip to the San Juans.

And a note regarding the "WG area" activity. Another place to confirm activity there is to call Victoria Vessel Traffic on VHF chan 11 and confirm with them. I don't know, but it would be worth a check, they might know the schedule for the next day. During my last trip up into the islands, WG was active 3 days in a row.

Sure hope there is some interest in a Princes Louisa trip after the official CBGT.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't signed up for the PRCBGT yet maybe this video will help you decide to venture north this year.Go Coastal
Cheers
Ron
Wood Zeppelin

C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Newbie Questions Reply with quote

What does it take for a US citizen to cruise up into Canadian waters?

And, what does it take to fish for Salmon?

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what does it take to fish for Salmon

Information about fishing in BC can be found here: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/licence-permis/faq-eng.html#6

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a boat! Razz Hah. Just funnin with you. Not many requirements. You just have to clear customs, a passport is best to have, but I do not believe it is mandatory. Boat directly to one of the marine customs locations, clear customs and once that is done you are free to travel wherever your boat will take you within Canada. Probably best to check the Canada Border Services Agency websitehttp://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html as a reference.
As far as fishing goes, you just have to buy a non resident fishing license, plus any tags needed for species you are targeting I.E. salmon, then you are good to go.

Be aware you must also clear US customs when you return to the states. There are probably some US brats who can speak to whats involved from a US citizen's point of view.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Questions Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:
What does it take for a US citizen to cruise up into Canadian waters?

And, what does it take to fish for Salmon?

To get into Canada (and more importantly) to get back into the US, you need to have either a Pass Port or and Enhanced Drivers license. You need to have your boat registration and it's a good idea to look through the Customs requirements as far as food items, alcohol and tobacco items and you need to be sure you do not have any firearms, or a DUI on your record. I have crossed both on the trailer and on the water. Both easy and usually quick.

If you are trailering, it is a good idea to ask to have your Pass Port stamped, because the land crossing will not automatically issue a Customs Crossing number. (That number is provided by the Canadian Customs and goes into your log book and posted in a window so it is visible.) On a land crossing, not getting that number leaves you vulnerable if you were to have a "contact" with the Canadian Coast Guard, as to whether you came into the country legally. Having your Pass Port stamped eliminates that problem.

Have a great trip.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

Ron's info on driving "around" Vancouver by staying east, is good advice. When I launched at Sunset, that is the way we went up and it was pretty easy. Sunset was a good secure place to park. The launch ramp is a "back around a corner, backing 90 degrees to the right" launch ramp. But that was a few years ago, and it may have changed. It is doable, and there is a dock to starboard alongside the concrete ramp.

It was a pretty hellasious ride up Georgia on my trip then, but I was new, and trusted the folks I was with, (my bad, they were running a big B-boat, deep Vee, and they learned as they went for years, so I figured, if they were still alive and boating they must have been doing some things right.) It was doable, and we did from Sunset all the way to Princes Louisa on one day, 2 tanks of gas. Coming home, all the way from Chatterbox Falls to Sequim on the same long day. The waves were only half the size as on the trip up to the falls.

Sure hope we see you up there. Of the three basic choices, I think the Sunset Marina launch is probably the best , coming from your side of the water. I'd run up with you, but I will be on Vancouver Island already.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, for those headed to the PRCBGT, don’t forget to put the
“official C-BRATS Group Call MMSI Number” into your DSC VHF radios. Program it into your VHF, (probably will go into something called like “MMSI Group Call listing or Library”.

Here is the number:

official C-BRATS Group Call MMSI Number
036697831 = C-BRATS Group MMSI # on DSC

Put it in and we can do some group call practice and DSC call practice while there. Here is a link to a thread with more info on the Group Call MMSI Number use.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=24235&highlight=

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, Do we need to make individual reservations at the marina there, prior to arrival? If yes, and I missed it, please refer me to a contact piece, phone or email or whatever works.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Igrant

City/Region: Garden Bay
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Sprite
Photos: Sea Sprite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are just back from our aborted trip to the Broughtons. We spent four days in the Cordero Channel area waiting for the winds to die down in Johnstone Straight. Strong wind warnings every day and the lowest we saw it was 19knots at Fanny Island on the nose with an ebb tide. The 14 day forecast was for rain or showers almost every day and cool temperatures so we decided to head home and try another time.

Some information:

It was one hour and fifteen minutes from leaving the dock in Pender Harbour to Powell River. We were cruising at just over 20knt.

Another one hour and fifteen minutes to Gorge Harbour on Cortez Island.

The same amount of time to Melanie Cove in Desolation Sound.

We spent a night at Homfray Channel Lodge just north of Forbes Bay about 9 NM above Melanie Cove. A large group of fisherman, a group from Powell river who hold an annual fishing derby there were just leaving. They were pretty happy with the fishing.

Lund had gas at $1.20 litre compared to $1.39 in Refuge Cove. Gorge Harbour was $1.19.

Nancy's Bakery in Lund is great place to stop and pick up baked goods.

Powell River is a great place to head to Desolation Sound from.

Jazzmanic

Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info Ian. I'm sorry to hear the Broughtons trip didn't work out for you and Jackie. Wind is our enemy.

I've pretty much decided to take Ron's advice and drive on the outskirts of Vancouver to Hwy 1 and launch at Sunset Marina. I didn't realize that alternate route was available, it seems much more doable than driving through the narrow, crowded streets of Vancouver. I called Sunset and although the daily launch/trailer parking fee is kind of steep, it's much cheaper than taking the ferries up the Sunshine coast. I remember boating down from Princess Louisa 2 years ago and it didn't seem to take that long to go from Pender Harbour to Burrard Inlet, I think a couple of hours in fairly calm seas.

After the Powell River CBGT, we're open. Savary Island and its white sand beaches sounds pretty cool and of course, there's PLI and Desolation Sound. We're keeping it open until we get closer. We're looking forward to this trip!
cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After the Powell River CBGT, we're open. Savary Island and its white sand beaches sounds pretty cool

If you around Savary Island it might be worth a short side trip to Middlenatch Island. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitlenatch_Island_Nature_Provincial_Park It is more of a side trip than a destination, but it is kind of neat anyway. Even if you just cruise slowly around the island you will see seals and birds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: