The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/12 - 08/14 - Powell River BC, Canadian CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct Harvey. Thatch pub on Hornby Island. They have a nice dock right outside the pub where you can tie up for a few hours if you are going into the pub, no overnighters.
For overnight stays, go to the marina at Ford Cove. From there, it is a very nice 30 min walk along the trail to the pub. For anyone else stopping by as they head north to the Powell River gathering, Tribune Bay has the best sandy beach in the whole of the Gulf Islands, and for safe swimming, probably the best sandy beach in the whole of the PNW!

Martin.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martin, I will have to work up a trip to that part of Vanc Is in the future as I am going to be trailering to Telegraph Cove for this time.

On your recommendation I will make it a destination.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tribune Bay has the best sandy beach in the whole of the Gulf Islands, and for safe swimming, probably the best sandy beach in the whole of the PNW

I really like Tribune Bay, it is one of my favorites as long as it's not a weekend in August when EVERYONE is there.

If I think the beach is too crowded, I often anchor a little to the west of the main bay in a place called Little Tribune. It is a local beach with less tourists and more relaxed rules so I can take my dog off the leash and let him play in the water.

A word of warning for those that care, but the local beach is clothing optional. I cover up from head to toe no matter where I am to avoid the sun, but many sun worshipers may enjoy the freedom.

Tribune Bay is a great anchorage except on a SE wind, then you should head to Ford's Cove or Deep Bay or anywhere else.

In fact, I may go this weekend for my maiden voyage of the year. It should be nice and quiet and totally wonderful.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
hardee

Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"In fact, I may go this weekend for my maiden voyage of the year. It should be nice and quiet and totally wonderful.

Enjoy your trip. All the best.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would be there in a heartbeat, we love Canadian gatherings! But this one is just too close to Bellingham for us, since we are hosting and have stuff to attend to! But all you cruisers, you can go right from Powell River to Bellingham!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We would be there in a heartbeat, we love Canadian gatherings! But this one is just too close to Bellingham for us, since we are hosting and have stuff to attend to! But all you cruisers, you can go right from Powell River to Bellingham!

Pat,
You certainly have it right with this statement. (With substituting US for Canadian LOL) We'd be at Bellingham if we didn't need to organize Powell River. I do hope one or two folks manage to bookend these gatherings. Thats in part, why I suggested a "Strait Shot" for at least one way.

Anyway I encourage folks to sign up for either or both of PRCBGT or Bellingham is Back. It really helps us organizers with logistics and planning to have some numbers of attendees well in advance.
Cheers
Ron
Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Strait Shot West Reply with quote

Well here I go again. Another not so detailed, not so accurate routing guide to the PRCBGT. This time its a west side route starting in Friday Harbor. Why Friday Harbor? Cause its a fun place, and a whole bunch of you C-Brats will have found your way there for this upcoming weekend. The biggest, bestest, badest C-Brat gathering on the west coast. Wish I could have made it.
Anyway a couple of points about a Strait Shot West.
1) You will have to navigate tidal passes. Most of us have done that and with our C-Dory's we really don't have to hit slack water exactly (or at all) to transit safely. Slack would always be the safest but I'll leave it up to you to decide when to shoot through.
2) North of Nanaimo there is a military area called "Whisky Golf". It is a torpedo test range. You will have to check to see if it is active and if it is you have to go around. It is only active maybe once or twice a month or so but don't cross if active. Otherwise, the best outcome will be a dressing down over the VHF and maybe a visit by a large low flying helicopter accompanied by a fast rib with unsmiling armed fellows in it. Worst case, you may not get a chance to call Mayday!
Its easy to find out if its active, just monitor the continuous marine weather broadcast on either weather 1 or 3.
For more info check these sites:

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/Pacific/MCTS/Notice-of-Hazardous-Area

http://waggonerguide.com/whiskey-golf-the-reality/

Now that we have that out of the way lets get cruising!
Use that chart plotter to get out of FH and in to San Juan channel heading pretty well north. You are transiting some pretty spectacular cruising grounds so don't get too side tracked. Keep your eyes pealed though. Just north of Stuart Is you should see the dotted black line of the border. Just kidding. Its actually a red dotted line.LOL At about 18 N Miles and just over 1 hour after you left you should be approaching your first & only needed stop on the Strait Shot West. Bedwell Harbour on South Pender Island is where you will clear customs by phone at the dock at Poets Cove Resort. (Did you notice the spelling change. Harbor to Harbour. now you know you are in Canada EH?)

Now you have that done that customs thing you just have to choose the route for our next leg. You could go east, or go west or even go north through the Pender Canal. Decisions, decisions. I think we'll go the west side of the Penders. So head south back the way you came for a mile or so than head west a bit until you clear the point and start your northerly course. Follow N. Pender around until your trusty charts tell you its safe to change your heading for Trincomali Channel on the west side of Galiano Isl. Oh yeah, once you get north of N. Pender look out for ferries. No, not the ones with wings, the ones that carry cars, trucks and people. They are big, and moving as fast as a cruising C-Dory. This is the main route for BC Ferries between Vancouver and Victoria.
OK now that you've dodged those ferries and are safely in Trincomali Channel just keep on cruising up along Galiano and then Valdez Is. When your chart plotter says you are reaching the north end of Valdez (somewhere around the 50 NM mark) you will want to be thinking about your transit of Gabriola passage. Well, maybe you should have thought of this a bit earlier. LOL Actually Gabriola passage is one of the tamer ones. I think it peaks at about 7 or 8 knots at a big tide. It will be less than that most of the time. Shouldn't be any trouble. Just pay attention to the channel markers and your plotter. There are a couple of routes through here so you can choose which works for you. I usually use the most direct route out into Georgia Strait.

Hey you made it through. Well done! Now that you are out in the Strait you just need to get far enough east to clear Gabriola Isl and than set a slightly west of north course for the southern tip of Texada Island. Only 30 or so N Miles of open strait on this Strait Shot. Not bad. Less than 2 hours of "big water". Weather good? Go for it. Just don't forget about Whiskey Golf. You've checked to be sure its not active right? When you turn north out of Gabriola passage Whiskey Golf is only about 10 miles to the north so be sure to plan a route around it if its active.
Once you've reached Texada the Strait Shot West and East become the same. Just head for Texada's East point, than Grief Point, (don't forget to wave) than the PRCBGT in the South Harbour. Hey you made it. Again about 105 N miles from the start. Cool. Lets get the PRCBGT started.

In the coming weeks I'll suggest a couple of my favourite stops on each of the Strait Shots to make for a more relaxing itinerary. Until then enjoy your planning and don't forget to sign up.

Cheers
Ron
drbridge

C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this info Ron. This will be very helpful for us, as We plan to take this route. Two questions about Whiskey Gulf. When active, is it usually just one day. Can we assume that if it is active we could lay over for a day and then expect it to not be active the next to avoid going further north? What is the earliest warning that it will be active on any given day?
OK, one more question. Can anyone recommend best places to get fuel along the way?

Thanks

Doug & Susan

bridma

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbridge wrote:
Thanks for this info Ron. This will be very helpful for us, as We plan to take this route. Two questions about Whiskey Gulf. When active, is it usually just one day. Can we assume that if it is active we could lay over for a day and then expect it to not be active the next to avoid going further north? What is the earliest warning that it will be active on any given day?
OK, one more question. Can anyone recommend best places to get fuel along the way?

Thanks

Doug & Susan

Hi Doug & Susan,

Ron's route is very straight forward, does leave you a tad more exposed to the Georgia Straight if the weather does not co-operate. I always prefer going up through Dodd Narrows, then if you don't like the look of GS you can duck into Nanaimo or Newcastle Island and wait. Just my preference.
For fuel, my fav stops are Poet's Cove, Montague Harbour, Telegraph Harbour, in the Gulf Islands. Nanaimo is ok but gets busy.
Whiskey Gulf is not very active but they give plenty of notice on the weather channel when active. I have known it to be active on consecutive days, but not often.
I cross the GS a ton of times. You have to be unlucky to get real crappy weather in the summer. So don't sweat it. As in all long distance cruising, allow yourself a couple of extra days for any unforeseen circumstances.

Martin.
Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug & Susan,
Martin is right on with his comments. Whiskey Golf can be active for consecutive days but it isn't active often. It is just another item to be aware of. Even if its active its easy enough to go around the WG area to the east or to the west. As Martin also said, the route I proposed is just one choice. It happens to be the route I chose the last time I was south last september. On the way home again I did choose to go through Dodd narrows and spend a night at New Castle Island just as Martin suggested. Once you get up into the Gulf Islands you'll see you have many choices as to routes to take. Pick one to enjoy on the way up and a different one for the way back.
Can't add anything to the fuel suggestions. They seem right on.
Here's an online source for marinas and such in BC. You might find it helpful
http://www.boatersbluepages.com/Marinas/areas/GulfIslands/areamap
Have fun planning.
Thanks for the help Martin.
Cheers
Ron
bridma

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thanks Ron. I look forward to meeting you at the gathering.

Martin.
drbridge

C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Ron and Martin and Island Explorer for this info. We are really looking forward to this trip. It should be quite an adventure. Also looking forward to meeting you at Powell River. Probably will come up with more questions later.

Doug & Susan
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm trying to come up with a game plan for getting up to PR. My requirements are a good ramp with dock to launch with safe, secure parking. I would prefer not to have to cross the big water (Georgia Strait) twice but will if I have to, especially if the alternative of going up the east side via ferry is too much of a hassle. Here are my alternatives with pros and cons, please feel free to chime in.

1) Tswassen to Nanaimo - Cross directly from Nanaimo to Welcome Passage and beyond. Pros: Easy ferry ride, very little trailer time. Return trip very close to Bellingham for CBGT. Cons: Crossing big water (Georgia Strait) twice, longer time on water through possibly bad water in Malaspina Strait

2) Tswassen to Nanaimo - drive up to Comox, cross directly over. Pros: More direct crossing. Easy ferry ride, return trip very close to Bellingham for CBGT Cons: Again crossing big water twice albeit shorter. More time on trailer. Finding good truck/trailer parking

3) Ferry from Vancouver to Gibsons. Pros: Closer to PR, no crossing of strait. Cons: driving through Vancouver TWICE and finding good launch and truck/trailer parking in either Sechelt, Secret Cove, Pender Harbour or Madeira Park

4) Two ferries to Powell River. Pros: In PR, no crossing of strait Cons: Two ferries, twice as much $. Plus see 3 above.

So what do you think?

Peter
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, consider a Blaine launch and running all the way up to PR along the mainland. Depends on the Strait of Georgia of course, but more often than not, it is able to be done. Consider, I have to run in or cross the Strait of Georgia every time I launch Daydream! It should be respected, but not feared. Check wind and wave height and if moderate, it will not be a problem!
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Peter, consider a Blaine launch and running all the way up to PR along the mainland. Depends on the Strait of Georgia of course, but more often than not, it is able to be done. Consider, I have to run in or cross the Strait of Georgia every time I launch Daydream! It should be respected, but not feared. Check wind and wave height and if moderate, it will not be a problem!

Thanks for the quick response Pat. If you recall, we ran all the way from PLI to Bellingham 2 years ago in one long day so been there, done that. Although Blaine would've been better than going all the way to Bellingham, I'm looking for a little less time on the water. No I don't fear the Strait, I just have some time constraints. You know that dirty word starting with a W and ending with a K. Something to consider though.

Keep em coming.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: