The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/12 - 08/14 - Powell River BC, Canadian CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, make it a two-fer! Start in Powell River on August 12, 13 and 14, and then cruise on down through the Gulf Islands and San Juans to Bellingham for Bellingham is Back II, which is set for August 19, 20 and 21!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

serenitymay1995

City/Region: Cumberland
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gumption
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Powell River get together Reply with quote

Peter, the best place to launch for you is in Comox. I agree that the ramp at pacific playgrounds isn't the best and you can only get in and out with at least 6 feet of water. The parking is much better at Comox as well. The other option is to launch at discovery harbour in Campbell River, great ramp, lots of parking but it is a little longer run. You will be able to cross this area with more protection than in the open Straight of Georgia. We are going to try our damndest to make this one!
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Well, make it a two-fer! Start in Powell River on August 12, 13 and 14, and then cruise on down through the Gulf Islands and San Juans to Bellingham for Bellingham is Back II, which is set for August 19, 20 and 21!

Sounds like a plan Pat. We'll see if it comes together.

Thanks all for the good suggestions. I'm thinking possibly of taking the two ferries to Powell River which would be the same price as the one ferry to Nanaimo, plus that allows us to stay on the mainland side the whole way with no major crossings of the Strait. Then maybe we cruise around for the week before heading to Bellingham. Still need to discuss with the Admiral as we have yet to put together our summer calendar so stay tuned.

Peter
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I'm pretty sure there will be opportunity for a few C-Dorys to cruise up to Princes Louisa, Malibu and maybe Skookumchuck after the Powell River CBGT. Might be worth hanging around that are a for a bit.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jep111

City/Region: Carmichael
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mas Que NADA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea!

I have a home on Nelson Island; I'll try and time my summer trip so that I am there and can pop over!

John
RogerJuntunen

City/Region: Rupert, ID
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: In Cahoots - Idaho
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: POWELL RIVER Reply with quote

Hi Brats, and Powell River is sounding more interesting all the time but still a ways off on the calendar. Lets get some more chatter going!

When all three lights I see ahead, I turn to starboard, show my red. Green on green, red on red, all is safe so go ahead

Roger

cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to see a good turnout in Powell River and it really does have a lot to offer.

Many boaters know Lund better than they know Powell River, but they really are very close to one another. Lund is the gateway to Desolation Sound and very close to Savory Island which is like the Hawaii of BC.

The town of Powell River is also pretty cool because the marina is at one end of Marine Avenue and you walk a couple of kilometers along Marine Avenue to Willingdon Beach and enjoy all kinds of little stores and restaurants along the way. You don't even have to go up any hills unless you want to go to a shopping mall. Last time I was there, there was even a free courtesy bus that would take you from the Marina to the shopping mall.

For the last couple of years BC Ferries has put on a special rate for towing a boat from the mainland to Vancouver Island. Launching from Vancouver Island would give you so many opportunities for side trips before or after the event.

Yes, I am biased. I think we live in amazing place with lots of places to explore.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
cgypsy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there will be opportunity for a few C-Dorys to cruise up to Princes Louisa, Malibu and maybe Skookumchuck after the Powell River CBGT. Might be worth hanging around that are a for a bit.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I've never been and it seems like a good post CBGT cruise.

Has anybody been to Chatterbox Falls? Is it worth the journey?
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island Explorer wrote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure there will be opportunity for a few C-Dorys to cruise up to Princes Louisa, Malibu and maybe Skookumchuck after the Powell River CBGT. Might be worth hanging around that are a for a bit.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I've never been and it seems like a good post CBGT cruise.

Has anybody been to Chatterbox Falls? Is it worth the journey?

HI Island Explorer. Yes and a VERY BIG YES. I have been there, It is worth it, and I will go back. (Very likely do that after the CBGT at Powell River.)

I have some pictures from my first time there in my album. Sorry I don't know how to do the link on my tablet yet. Go to my album by clicking on the blue text "SleepyC" at the left under the profile info. That will take you to the album. On that first page, down a few rows and on the left side, there is a "Trips We Have Made" sub album. Click on that. Then there will be a second sub album labeled "Princess Louisa". There are pix there from Chatterbox Falls, PLI, and Malibu.

I'm not the only CBRAT who has been there. Many others have been also. It's a great trip EVEN though when we were there it was a record setting rain for three days. Made for a big falls and lots of waterfalls on the mountains.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Embarassed Embarrased
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember after the Pender Harbour gathering a couple of years ago about 8 Brats went up to PL. Lots of fun. For the newbies, there are bound to be a few boats going up after Powell River, just tag along.
I haven't worked out if full tanks of gas will get you from PR to PL and back, but Egmont is handy for gas, and a pub too.

Martin.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we had a great time going to PLI for the first time with the armada of Brats after the Pender Harbour gathering in 2014. Would love to go again. Thumbs Up

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we did it, we fueled at Eggmont both ways. Just thought it was prudent. I wish I had taken the time to go see Skookumchuck Rapids. Missed that going both ways, do to a "hurry up schedule". This next trip I won't miss. Will look at maybe staying around there somewhere for a day, just to see the Rapids go each way.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

More photos in my Princess Louisa album here.

P.S. I would love to do this trip with another/some other C-Dorys.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
cgypsy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
More photos in my Princess Louisa album here.

You have me convinced. It should be great and if the weather is nice it will be like going to a completely different place.

I think the clouds and rain made it look really cool.

I think I may do an extended circle tour: Comox - Powell River - Jervis Inlet - Princess Louisa Inlet - Skookumchuck - Sechelt Penninsula - Skookumchuck - Nelson Island - Madeira Park - Jedidiah - Lasquiti - Tribune Bay (Hornby Island) - Comox

There are so many awesome places along that route and many of them get overlooked because people just hurry right past them.

This same route would work well if it started at French Creek (Parksville) and went to Jedidiah first, Powell River in the middle, and ended at Lasquiti. There is a really good boat launch at French Creek and you can get long term parking at the campsite nearby. You can also park right at the launch, but it is more money and the campsite is very close.

Sleepy C and anyone else who wants to go to all or part of this route is welcome to join me. I would love the company.[/quote]
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi C-Gypsy, just about everywhere you mentioned is on my list for this trip, so we can buddy up. Also my son-in-law has a oyster farm and cabin in telescope passage (top end of Nelson Island), so we'll also stop by there and get a tour of the operation and a free oyster supper. You are welcome to join us.

Martin.
cgypsy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
just about everywhere you mentioned is on my list for this trip, so we can buddy up. Also my son-in-law has a oyster farm and cabin in telescope passage (top end of Nelson Island), so we'll also stop by there and get a tour of the operation and a free oyster supper. You are welcome to join us.

Martin - That is so cool, but those places are so awesome that it doesn't surprise me.

The tour of the oyster farm sounds pretty awesome too.

I people who come to the Powell River CBGT from other areas will also get a chance to explore these areas either before or afterward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: