Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Expired Flares Reply with quote

What do you store your expired flares in and where do you store them??
I have a good supply of expired flares stored in zip lock bags here and there in various places aboard. My current flares are in a round Orion container that is kept on the counter behind the Wallas.
I keep the expired flares around since I figure you can't have too many in an emergency. Orion says they are stable and keep well if kept dry and cool. I would like to organize my "stash" better in a good container and in an easily accessed location.
Looking forward to your ideas.

Because I was where I was
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't keep any for than 8 expired flares. They are kept in a separate bag, under the steep/under the helmsman's seat. The good flares are kept there, on top--clearly marked with expiration date on the zip lock bag. There are 3/4" wide yellow labels which show "flares" on the bulkhead, just above where the flares are stored. Also the 3 fire extinguishers locations are labeled, as well as First Aid etc.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Coast Guard says that you cannot store outdated flares with your current ones that are carried to meet compliance. My compliance flares are in the round water proof case, under the table.

I have recently started keeping some of my more recent expired ones in my ditch bag, in plastic zip lock bags. I just figured that if I'm going away, they might as well go with me.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,
Good question.
After many years of considering many scenarios, I choose to keep all USCG signalling requirements in an ACR Express ditch bag which floats 40# of 'stuff', waterproof with waterproof zipper. (Weigh your contents to be sure it will float with you at the end of an epic Bad Boating Day). It also has the Crash Plugs, fiberglass emergency repairs, 2 GPS/DSC VHF radios, the EPIRB, USAF signal mirror, ACR nite SOS lantern, AA battery backup tray for the radio, 2 Pelican waterproof LED 3C flashlights, etc.
I agree with Bob (surprise) that I don't keep over 8 expired flares onboard. I just can't see keeping flares aboard that expired in 1965. I have found the local fire department is always happy to dispose of them (otherwise, they are responding to trash trucks on fire).
As a retired USAF Special Ops flight surgeon, I believe in the power of annual hands-on training with ALL your survival and safety gear. Set off a flare in your driveway on July 4 or Jan 1 in the dark in the rain for practice without looking at the printed directions. Let the Admiral do one. Then do it blindfolded. Then do it blindfolded after jumping in the pool and holding your breath 40 seconds underwater in full winter boating gear including boots. (Reminds me of Helo-Dunker training...helicopters love to turn upside down as soon as they crash on water).
Now you know your flare, and you don't have to do this again for 12 months. Moving on to your radios...
Please post your pics of all this, and have fun!
All this just summarizes Harvey's pithy comment (I might as well have it with me). Gotta meet him some day.
Millions of Kidde fire extinguishers sold by West Marine were recalled, check the web site and your serial numbers...free replacements sent. We'll practice with the recalled ones and post pics.
Yes, I know a 22 may not have room for the ACR Express, but if you load EVERYTHING in it you'd want for a night floating in the wreckage, it might work for you...and what good is emergency gear that sinks in an emergency? (Cheery Thought of the Day).
Cheers!
John

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...handheld flares only.
John
Lighthouse Express

City/Region: Auburn, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lighthouse Express
Photos: Lighthouse Express
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Harvey said, the Coast Guard regulations do not allow to have outdated flares on your vessel. One can imagine how difficult it would be to extinguish a boat fire with several bundles of flares on board in addition to the fuel tank. Wow...

However, you can make them available to your local United States Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary for boater training practices.

To drop them off with your local fire department is another option. However, you may find that more and more fire departments will not accept your expired flairs for disposal anymore because of more stringent government hazmat regulations. This will be different from state to state though.

I have found, to dispose of them at your local landfill can be challenging since the flares are considered hazardous waste. Depending where you live, you might be able to drop them off for free, to pay a fee or have to go through a third company with a hazmat disposal registration who would also charge a (hefty) fee.

Perhaps another alternative to dispose of your flairs would be to put them into a bucket of water for several days to let them completely dissolve. This will destroy the functionality of the fuse and the concentration of the flammable powder allowing you to put them into the trash can where legal.

Whatever you do, make sure the disposal practice is safe and legal! Don't spend your money on fines, spend it on fuel for cruising instead...

Good luck,
Heinz

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heintz, What I meant, but probably wasn't very clear, is that you are not to have expired flares, mixed with current flares in your "emergency stuff" location. It is not illegal to have expired flares on board, but they must be stored separately, in a different container, and marked as expired. That is to make sure no one grabs out-dated flares in an emergency, OR presents them to an inspecting official when they request to see emergency supplies and equipment (such as during a Vessel safety inspection.)

Unless something has changed recently, I believe it is OK to carry some expired ones. You may have more current info on that than I do. I like Bob's idea of limiting the number. that helps with the space and storage issue, and could come into play were there ever to ba a fire on board.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than for smoke, Why do you all still carry the hand held flares, instead of the pistol variety. Or is it you carry both. I still have some outdated handhelds, but long ago switched to the 12 ga flare pistol & since switching the height & duration of the available flares for the pistol have increased dramatically. In my experience the pistol flares are safer, quicker & easier to deploy.

Jay

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company I previously worked with used expired flares for crew training. You can say, "Don't hold the flare straight up," but a burning flare with the slag dripping off really makes the point, when holding it! Cool

Like Jay, I like having 12 ga pistol/flares onboard, but those last for a very short time when fired, compared to the handheld flares. I like to have both, and in a waterproof case.
therevdr

City/Region: Lake St. Clair
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: DRIFTWOOD DREI
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, you can make them available to your local United States Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary for boater training practices.

USCGAUX and the US POWER SQUADRON do NOT tend to utilize expired flares . . . to set the safeguards and secure permission from USCG and other authorities is difficult!! As a USCGAuxiliarist, I know this practice (of using expired flares fro training) is discouraged in my area; I am assuming it also is in most regions.
Just my two-cents from experience!!
Bruce
therevdr
Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Expired Flares Reply with quote

Jay,
Since you have done extensive boating up north, I was wondering if Canadian Customs has any issue with the 12 gauge pistol flares. I am carrying hand helds as I heard (rumor) that Canadian Customs was not ok with the pistol flare and catagorized it as a handgun.

Thanks, Phil
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boat US has an excellent, but dated comparison at:

http://www.boatus.org/findings/45/

In the boat we carry:

4 Orion 12 mm meteor flares, pistol launched: abt 7 seconds, and up to 500 feet, 16,000 CP

4 hand held flares: about a minute, and the height off the water of your hand, about 700 CP.

In the ditch bag we carry 4 Orion Sky blazer, self launching aerial meteor flares; 7 seconds and about 450 feet height, 16,000 CP. We also have a dye packed and a smoke canister in the ditch bag.

The 4 meteor and 4 hand held expired flares in a zip lock bag, are in the same compartment as the good flares.

When long distance cruising we carried SOLAS 25 mm rocket parachute flares in both red (16,000 CP) and white parachute flares (32,000 CP). Much larger and more expensive. We had almost an infinite source of these, in a friend who repacked the life rafts and safety kits of large ships in Los Angeles Harbor. Even 10 year old flares always fired off when we tested them. These were kept in metal ammo boxes. The other container was a large plastic floating canister, with a sealed screw top.

I haver never worried about the fire potential of life saving gear. It is minimal, in comparison to other explosive and combustion able materials. If that is a concern, then put flares in a metal ammo box.

I did carry the ACR ditch bag in the Tom Cat. But in the smaller C Dories, the ditch bag, about 8" diameter, 12" long and weight of less than 8 lbs, carries more survival gear, safety gear than I would need.

If ever needed, I expect that rescue is far more likely with the EPRIB, or radio, than the pyrotechnics. Certainly the flares would be used for localization especially by nearby craft.
therevdr

City/Region: Lake St. Clair
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: DRIFTWOOD DREI
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Coast Guard says that you cannot store outdated flares with your current ones that are carried to meet compliance."

I am ready to stand corrected about this . . . but I find no regulation or USCG statement that states that expired and non-expired flares must be stored separately. In a practical sense, I agree that knowing what flares are expired (and which may provide less-than-expected performance) and what flares are in compliance might be a prudent course of action. Separate storage and clear labeling might be wise (and, then again, establishing two "safe" areas to store flares and having two separate locations where flares would have to be found in an emergency situation....might also complicate use and safety!).
Again....I stand ready to be corrected about expired-and-unexpired flare storage, but too many boaters make and mistake prudent measures for regulations.
Bruce
therevdr
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Expired Flares Reply with quote

Phil Barnes wrote:
Jay,
Since you have done extensive boating up north, I was wondering if Canadian Customs has any issue with the 12 gauge pistol flares. I am carrying hand helds as I heard (rumor) that Canadian Customs was not ok with the pistol flare and catagorized it as a handgun.

Thanks, Phil

I checked out the flare issue several years ago when searching about restricted firearms & found them to be OK to use for border crossing & aboard the boat. This could have changed recently, but I doubt it. I've never been questioned about pistol flares on any of our many Canadian border crossings or while on the water there. In our 13 seasons of boating aboard our CD22 we have never been boarded by any agency other then at our own request by the USCGAUX, while docked at a Friday Harbor C-Brat Gathering. This maybe somewhat, why I concentrate more on what I feel is most cost effective for our Safety than what is proscribed by law, though we did pass the inspection at Friday Harbor.

Jay
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont keep out of date flares on board ( no particular reasons except I work in a lab and XP items are not permitted and routinely discarded)

Info from Orion
Disposal

To dispose of expired marine pyrotechnic distress signals, Orion recommends the following method:

Donate expired flares to local Coast Guard Auxiliary or Power Squadron for use in their training classes.
Ignite hand-held signals flares on land in a safe area, much the same as highway flares would be ignited.
Contact a local law enforcement or the fire protection agency for their advice on proper visual distress signal disposal.
Retain flares for back-up use to expand signaling time in the event of an emergency.
NEVER jettison visual distress signals overboard.
NEVER activate marine flares in a non-emergency situation on or near regulated water.
NEVER dispose of flares in household trash.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: