View previous topic :: View next topic  
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Boat saved in St. Martin, Antilles Reply with quote

I have such a good time during the gatherings, sharing stories and adventure tales. I hope this is the appropriate place to share my story, and that more people take advantage of this area of the forum. The following is from one of my trips to the Caribbean:

The previous day we had run under the bridge and anchored in the inland lagoon on St. Martin, in the Caribbean. I was sitting in my cockpit, having morning coffee, when I realized I was staring down into the cockpit of a sunken yacht.

I learned that this lagoon was considered the best "hurricane hole" in the Caribbean and that many boats spent the season anchored safely right here. Problem was that the year before, a storm had danced down the islands and stalled for a day, right over the anchorage. Only a few boats of many dozens, were left floating. Many were driven by the surge and wind up onto the mud flats, or worse onto the bolder riprap that bordered the lagoon. There were hulks everywhere.

During the weeks that we were there, I observed several salvage efforts, both professional and by the locals. With two equal sized sailboats driven ashore on the flats, results were the same but methodology went in different directions.

I watched as a large barge with dragline ditched its way slowly through the mud flat, up to a stranded keelboat, ran slings under the boat, and slowly lifted it into the ditch, and floated it out to the lagoon. It cost the owner or insurance company two week's charges, but the boat was safe.

Then, a few days later, I watched two locals slowly back a dump truck down the bank in the same area. I saw a small boat being rowed across the lagoon, towing a heavy rope behind it. With one end fastened to their sailboat and the other to the bumper of the truck, the boat was slowly inched out into the lagoon. Costs were one day and a couple gallons of gas. Same results.

On many of the islands, self sufficiency wasn't an option. I was amazed at how resourceful these folks could be.

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Boat saved in St. Martin, Antilles Reply with quote

anchorout wrote:
I have such a good time during the gatherings, sharing stories and adventure tales. I hope this is the appropriate place to share my story, and that more people take advantage of this area of the forum.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoy the stories and pictures that can be found on this site.

Your story of the truck pulling the boat reminded me of the year I called Port Rowan home. Lake Erie is funny - boats from our side go over to Erie PA which is due south to visit and sometimes the fish follow - they say when the fishing is good on one side it is bad on the other and vise/versa. Then if there is a strong north or south wind the water level can be raised 2 feet or more on one side and lowered the same on the other. The day I was pulling my boat for the season I watched as a guy who had his boat in a slip directly across from the launch ramp attach a long line from his bow eye to the winch on his trailer. He pulled and winched his boat clear across the fairway and onto his trailer. I thought perhaps he had mechanical trouble. When I went to bring my boat from its slip to the ramp I realized my skeg was buried in the mud. The water level in the marina that day was a good 2 feet lower than normal. I had to trim the outdrive up and motor from my slip to the ramp with the kicker.

Regards, Rob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: