The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Thoughts on RAM 1500 Eco Diesel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And look at the packages Ford is putting out in diesel market in 2019 trucks...

Interesting stable of power plants to dial into what ever your towing/hauling needs. Id like to simply drop the 3.0 in where my 6.0 sits in my 2005 Excursion....but now way will the numbers wash...as far as taking care of my boating retirement/travel funds.... IT IS SIMPLY BECAUSE I WANT IT now that Im towing lighter and smaller. I still drive a lot of miles each year..and still about 50% towing....that's why I buy trailerable boats.

And, zero propblems with my 6.0 in 186,000+ miles....and Id say close to 50% of those miles towing aroumd 11,000 ..... all over America with several cross country trips...both south to north and east to west....
Biggest issues..... tires. Road construction and FOD on the highways from other vehicles...and I do not plan to tow with a single axle trailer...as loosing one of four or six tires on the ground is much better and many more SAFER OFF ROAD OPTIONS, for having my tires repaired...off the interstates.. And...yes, I buy heavy bad ass heavy load rating trailer (and tow vehicle tires)...

Ive never towed a CD22 cross country with it.... but, next week Roger Johnson, SENSIE and I will tow it cross country with a Yukon with the V8 I think 350? Ill find out later today.... and will report mileage around first of the month.
Followed by me towing it somewhere with my Excursion 6.0 diesel...down to the Gulf Coast area and back to TN. Ill report then. Then, in April of 2019 Ill tow the CD22 back to WA from TN. May or may not take the same route.

Advatages of me keeping my 3/4 Ton Excursion is it has been paid for since 2005, no real issues at all, and if you can hitch it up...you can pull it...but, I am a firm believer in a heavy duty strong weight distribution hitch for trips over 25-50 miles....or....if going over a mountain pass or twisty bouncy roads. I WANT TO get a 3.0...and better mileage with my lighter smaller towing/hauling needs....but, even with my shoes still on....no way can I find any math to support....just what I want. What I have is so sweeet. The mileage savings between the new 3.0 power stroke and 6.0 power stroke....just will not justify the trade... today. But, next week...or next month....WHAT I WANT.....sometimes wins. Aint a free America great! Go Boating!

See yall on the highways and waters soon I hope.

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking at the RAM 1500 Ecodiesel, but the fuel price even with the 25mpg+ is a bit of a put off.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

KevinDU

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sea Otter
Photos: Sea Otter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate people in Diesel pick-ups. They keep them running in parking lots and everyone within 200 feet has to breathe in the obnoxious fumes. Why can't they switch off the damn engine?
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDU wrote:
I hate people in Diesel pick-ups. They keep them running in parking lots and everyone within 200 feet has to breathe in the obnoxious fumes. Why can't they switch off the damn engine?

Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? I get what you’re saying, but I suspect most of us with diesel trucks don’t leave them running in parking lots.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a diesel pickup, my favorite part about it, right after towing a CD-25 across the country to go boat cruising in some spectacular places, was getting the boat tied off to a dock so I could take the truck to a parking lot and let it run needlessly. Cuz that's what people in diesel pickups do.

Rolling Eyes
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Still looking at the RAM 1500 Ecodiesel, but the fuel price even with the 25mpg+ is a bit of a put off.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

You are absolutely right. In our area in SW Florida, regular gas is $2.40 per gallon and diesel is $3.10. That difference blows apart any efficiency savings.

A 1/2 to 3/4 ton Ford, Chevy or ?? with a 6 liter V8 gasoline engine has plenty of hp/torque to pull any C-Dory. Maybe it won't last as long as a diesel but you can replace that engine with a long block for less than the cost difference of the diesel.

I am not sure why diesel at the retail level is so high. The price difference at the refinery gate varies from 10 cents to 20 cents per gallon whereas the fuel station price difference is at least double.

David
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDU wrote:

Man you are missing out. Only one pickup. Next time, for more sheer enjoyment try a truck stop, about 2AM, with about 100 big rigs all with clean idle stickers on the side and all their reefers running, just purring through the night Wink Oh, that truck in the parking lot, he left it running so he could hear that cool rumble, and find his truck when he came out of the store.

As to gas / diesel prices, the Pacific Northwest hasn't seen prices that low in a few years. Try $3.30 for gas and $3.90+ for diesel, then there is DEF too.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: