The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Thoughts on RAM 1500 Eco Diesel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chucko

City/Region: Davidson
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Angel
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my Tundra right before I got my 22 cruiser, and then I wished I had kept it. It seemed just the right size power for the c dory tow. Gas is lower than ever, and really wouldn't need to buy a new truck.

1997 22 cruiser, sold may 2023
1998 17 Aquasport Osprey cc sold sold 2012
1977 16 Mako cc sold 1999
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same diesel engine used in the short-lived diesel version of the Jeep Liberty? If so, I'd be careful. I would want to see consumer and expert reviews of long-term use of at least 100K miles. That particular engine was not highly regarded. Could be the issues have been resolved, assuming it's even the same engine. I would love nothing better in pickups than seeing Toyota add a diesel option to their US-sold Tundra and Tacoma trucks. Chevy now has one in the Colorado, for those of us who don't want/need a full-size pickup. Not sure about its long-term reliability. Cheers! Mike
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really helpful information. Thank you all so much. I have learned considerable today and will keep learning, I hope, and will try to take it all in.

I’ve learned it is not a Fiat engine, but a VM Motori, which is an Italian company that has built commercial, marine, agricultural and industrial engines for 30 years. I learned that this engine has also been used in some of the “Jeep” series line. It is capable of towing in excess of 15 mpg and empty hiway speed mpgs of 28-30. It is apparently an “American” vehicle, parts from Italy, Germany, Canada Mexico and (I’m going to be there is something in there from China too. I am liking what I have heard so far, as there have not been any derogatory reports.

Joe, I agree, I don’t like the idea of being somebodies beta tester. I would normally not get into a brand new model line, in fact I would rarely ever even buy a new vehicle at all, preferring to let someone else drive it off the dealer’s lot.

Richard, Thank you for the info on the Engine type. That led me to a whole new line of information.

Alan, The Cunmmins diesel has been my favorite for a very long time, I just never could go that way. I share your affinity for the Tundra. I enjoy and trust mine explicitly, and it has been perfect for my needs.

Easyvictor.14 Robert, Thank you for the encouraging and informative post. It is nice to see some real numbers from a reliable source. BTW, I like your album, but I still think an air conditioner on a boat is really weird.

SGIDave, Thank you for the view from “logic” and bringing the reality of $$$ to seemingly shinny numbers. You have provided some very good food for thought. I had tried to do that “build” before too, and it really left me confused. I thought I knew what I wanted, but I could never get there. I finally contacted a dealer sales person and had them do the clicking. Much better luck there.

Roger, I didn’t know about the Cummins being in the Titan. I would not have even looked there, and I like the Cummins. Thanks for that tip.

Sunbeam, Thanks for picking up on the tongue weight. IIRC, my weight runs around 425, and trailer weight is 4900, (about 8%), and my rear axle bearings usually run just a few degrees warmer than the front.

Jim, Jennykatz, Dave smith is a long ways from Naples, but they do sell rigs to Florida. And believe it or not, when I clicked in to read the thread, yours was the last note, and in the ad box at the bottom of the page was an ad……yup, Dave Smith. The largest Dodge dealer in the country with over 1200 vehicles a month, so they can offer some super deals. And yes, I have talked to them, and no I don’t have stock in the company… but I wish I did.

Reelchef, Thank you for the encouraging real numbers too. I have a friend with a 2500 RAM and have pulled my boat with it. It really made me start thinking I might want to go diesel. I knew there had to be some good CBRATS out there who would know these trucks. Thanks for your help.

Chucko, You are right about the Tundra being a good match for the 22, and the Gas/Diesel price difference is one of the considerations to keep in mind.

Westward, Good question about that Liberty Diesel. I hope someone can shed some more light on that because you are right, IF it is the same engine, however from what I have been reading this VM Motori V6 is a very reliable power plant BUT we have not seen it in the US for long term reliability study yet.

Thanks to each for your input, and for anything further, Much appreciated. These are pretty rare rigs so it is really nice to find that we have some users here and have actual user knowledge. As my friend Marty says, “God I love this place”. You all are great.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The google says that Toyota will be rolling out a 5L Cummins diesel powered Tundra sometime next year.

Something for everyone!

jd
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: jeep liberty Reply with quote

I think the 05,06 jeep liberty used a 4 cylinder vm diesel but not the V-6 We looked at it briefly but bought a Pilot v-6 then sold it for a 07 Sequoia . Same as the 02-06 tundra with coil springs in back instead of leaf springs Its been a good SUV except for mpg I get 15-16 mpg around town 18-20 hwy towing 10-12 towing a CC-23 venture .We tow a small 2500lb RV trailer get 14 mpg
I just can't get my wallet to open up for a new truck 35k-40k We usually keep a /SUV or car for ten years and over 100k mileage

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While 28 mpg on the highway sounds great for a pickup, and it is, my wife's gas powered 99 suburban gets 20 most of the time, will tow a C-Dory 22 fine, and has lived for almost 200,000 miles. Honestly, it's still a really good truck and thankfully it just keeps going, going, and going. 40,000 bucks (or almost) sounds like a fortune to spend on a 1/2 ton pickup. However, like you, I am intrigued by that pickup as well - just not in any position to spend that kind of money on one. Give us a report when you have driven yours for a year or two; if you get one.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge diesel fan, but they are not without their drawbacks. I've put well over a million miles on mercedes and cummins powered vehicles. For the most part it's worth the compromise in reliability and longevity on the vehicles I've owned. If you would have asked me last year when my dodge lost prime due to a bad seal and failed lift pump I would have told you a different story. Over $1000 to fix that minor problem. They are more expensive to fix, and require some more specialized expertise.

I could afford to buy a newer, more technologically advanced diesel vehicle to replace my trusted old dodge. The reason I don't is that emissions requirements have changed these vehicles and only time will tell if they are going to be as long lived as the older mechanically injected, non-computerized engines. I know for a fact that urea injected exhaust systems and complex electronics and injection systems have caused some early deaths in some of these vehicles. The ones I've seen have been newer cummins powered ram with the 6.7 and the VW TDI. For me I'm not sure I could trust a new "clean diesel" to last forever, as should be expected for an engine upgrade around $10k over a gas powered truck. That's my $.02, and probably not even worth that Thumbs Up
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been really good, interesting and informative for me. I came Soooooo close, this time. Still like the idea, and still think it is a good one, just not good enough for me, for now. After almost a full week of very extensive and exhausting (for me) research, I decided to hold off..... for now. It makes sense to see how these 29mpg diesels do on the limited diet required to stay skinny. I guess we will see over a year or two, and there will be more on the market by then.

I should add, that in checking with several dealers in the PNW, Seattle, Portland and local, none of them could come close to the prices I could get out of Dave Smith's in Kellogg Idaho. They were good folks, no high pressure, helpful to the max and patient as Job. I would go back there , and will, for my next truck. In the mean time, my Tundra is fully capable of doing what I need.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,

This straying off topic a tad but I thought I would pass it on anyway.

Back in March I bought a 2011 Ram, 5.7 Hemi, for 20k. Beautiful truck, I love it. Don't even know I'm towing a boat.

Martin.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,

This has been a very interesting journey and I have considered going with al older, lower mile gas rig, due to the savings in purchase price, and in the savings in fuel cost. I'm finding a lot of ways to spend the $40K that a new truck was going to hit me for.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easyvictor.14 wrote:
Harvey,
I have a 2014 Ram EcoDiesel, I've put 37,000 absolutely flawless, trouble free miles on it in 2 years.
Truck has the 3.0 liter VM Motori turbo diesel that they've been using in Europe in boats and vehicles for better than 30 years in one form or another.
Robert

I have a Jeep Liberty diesel MV Motori turbo diesel 2.8 Ltr which I bought new in 2005. It is a well known work horse in Europe and in the UK they run that engine in London taxis service I am told. However, they only passed Cal. emissions standard in 2005-6 years. So Chrysler stopped importing this engine. There was a problem with the NA rendition of this engine too. NA imports of this engine had an EGR valve which would stick partly open and this would make the sudden power loss dangerous when pulling out into traffic. They fix it under warranty, but if I had to pay it was about $1200 and the Jeep net talk said it was a reoccurring problem. So what to do. Well like any good shade tree mechanic I looked for Jeep net talk advice. This was an easy fix too. Disconnect the MAF signal which opened the EGR presto the problem was solved as it then stayed closed. Then because the intercooler has many small tubes that are easily sooted up I also changed out the recir. of the crankcase ventilation, which was sucked back into the combustion air intake thru the intercooler. I replaced this with the old fashion road vent draft tube. This also gave me more HP and on full throttle tests - no more smoke showed at the tail pipe. This was not a challenge for this engine in Europe as they had not installed the EGR valve and that is why it has the great reputation for long trouble free service there. I now have 80,000 trouble free miles on this engine and love it. I tow my 16' Angler and get about 18-20mpg towing -running light on the hwy about 32-34mpg. The torque for this little engine is amazing 295f/lbs.
So in summary: Its not the engine that may give you problems its all the pollution controls they hang on them today that can cost you big bucks to keep them operating. the VW syndrome --eh LOL

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but what do your mods do to the emissions tests that a lot of people have to pass on an annual or bi-annual basis? Seems like VW was doing something like this (more or less) and they got caught.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol I doubt that blueback has to do the emissions tests that some US areas require. I don't know that for sure, so he can comment definitively. The VW fiasco was engineered in tot their system, down from the top, and it was meant to defraud the emissions testing systems ---> BAD on them.

Blueback, I like that you got it fixed and it is working. Like the 80K miles too.

I think where I'm at is that I want to see them work in the US mode for a while, and will be watching that for performance and longevity.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
ssobol I doubt that blueback has to do the emissions tests that some US areas require. I don't know that for sure, so he can comment definitively. The VW fiasco was engineered in tot their system, down from the top, and it was meant to defraud the emissions testing systems ---> BAD on them.

Blueback, I like that you got it fixed and it is working. Like the 80K miles too.

I think where I'm at is that I want to see them work in the US mode for a while, and will be watching that for performance and longevity.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

There was emission testing in the Metro Van. area at the time and they would have caught my MAF disconnect, as that left a check engine light up on the dash and a error code on the system. So once every 2 years, for the testing station checks, I connected the MAF signal and used my code reader to cancel all previous pollution code errors. Part of the station test was for them to plug in their code reader and that's why I had to clear the deck ahead of their checking it. This was an easy fix around the problem. I did not consider this a moral issue of cheating, as much as solving a problem Chrysler had dumped on their product consumer and walked away as soon as the warranty ended. Ah-yes we C-Brats have our ways to survive this technical world sent out to challenge us--LOL--even at 80
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, +1 on Dave Smith Motors. In October 2012 I bought my truck from them. I dealt only with their internet sales department, told them what I was looking for - a 2006 or older (last year before emission controls buggered them up) long bed (for a fifth wheel hitch) one ton diesel pickup, Silverado Duramax Allison preferred but open to other makes.

I made an appointment to go to Kellogg the weekend I had a conference in Spokane. A few days before I was going over, the guy I had been talking to called to tell me the truck I was looking for had just come to them as a trade-in, and that I needed to put a deposit down on it because it would not be there by the end of the day. A 2006 Silverado 3500 Duramax Allision long bed with only 16,000 miles on it. He emailed some photos, and I gulped hard and gave him the deposit via credit card, sight unseen.

On the appointed day, we went to Kellogg with a loan pre-approval from our credit union. The truck looked virturally new, and only had 15,980 miles on it, for a diesel not yet broken in. It had every upgrade available, Bose sound system, sunroof, custom wheels, tonneau cover - and all set up for a fifth wheel, with rails in the bed, brake controller, and mirrors that extend way out. We drove it, and came back in and closed on it. The closer said that the since day I put my deposit down, there were nine backup offers on it.

Dave Smith Motors was very good to deal with, the price was good, and I just don't think anybody else can touch them because of the volume they do.

My truck would be overkill for you but it is nearly a sure thing that they will have or get whatever truck (or car) you tell them you are looking for.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: