The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Thoughts on RAM 1500 Eco Diesel
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Thoughts on RAM 1500 Eco Diesel Reply with quote

Recently (2014) Dodge RAM came out with a new diesel powered pickup with a smaller (non Cummins) 3.0 V6 Eco Diesel engine with what seems to me to be a pretty adequate tow rig for a C-Dory. MPG is rated at 19 city and 27 highway. (Standard pickup rates are 15 – 24mpg.) Tow rating is ~ 7,500 pounds and pay load is 1400 pounds with a Class IV hitch.

THE SPECS for 1500 RAM, Quad Cab, 4X4
Engine
3.0L V6 ECODIESEL

Transmission, 8 Speed, Auto
A8 8HP70

Axle Ratio

GVWR

Payload

Base Weight
Total 5552 Front 3245 Rear 2307

GAWR
Front 3900 Rear 3900

GCWR 13,750

Max trailer Weight Rating 7,690
The recommended tongue weight for a conventional hitch is 10 percent of the gross trailer weight. The maximum tongue weight for Class IV receiver hitch is limited to 1100lb.

I am wondering if any of you CBRATS are running this truck and how you like it; what you like about it and or what not so making you happy? Or if anyone is considering it, what some of your considerations are and what the comparisons are.

It seems like the mileage, available when towing would make it a primary consideration. It is diesel powered so, there is a fuel cost issue, but it should get higher than my, or most gas powered pickups, and it should run for years.

Thoughts please, and thank you,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey-

Is this a brand new engine from Dodge/Chrysler Corporation or a Mercedes engine or adaptation?

I wouldn't want to own a brand newly designed engine relatively untested in consumer service, but if it's a Mercedes or some other tested design with a known pedigree and record of service, that would be different.

Is this the smaller Diesel that I think I see in the newer Dodge and Mercedes vans? (I haven't read about it, just seen the badges on the vehicles on the road.)

If so, there should be some serious discussions posted about it already.

My intuition is that new engine designs, particularly Diesels, may have some de-buging issues to solve in their early years.

Will be interesting to hear what Ken and Joel have to say about this with their backgrounds.

8-speed automatic: must have a usable/preferred rpm load range of 400-500 rpm?

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

Good question. It is a Fiat engine that has been in commercial duty in Europe for over 10 years and has come to Dodge through their "association" with Fiat. I also think it may be the engine, or closely related to, the engine in the Mercedes labeled Sprinter van, which is very popular in the small motor home market.

When I asked my auto mechanic about it he said "no way, don't do it" but then it is diesel and his shop does not do diesel work.

I am really liking the mpg aspect and the increased tow power and rating over my Tundra.

I'm really interested in their input too.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Last edited by hardee on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:21 am; edited 2 times in total
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a VM Motori diesel, same as in the 2014 Grand Cherokee.
Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

Thanks for that. I will do some reading along that line now.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

NewMoon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good source of info is the Turbo Diesel Register web site. Their forum has helped me many times over the years with my 1998.5 Cummins Ram.
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Diesel 2 cents Reply with quote

Having had a Dodge Cummins ( some consider it the best diesel ever made).
Now have a 2011 Tundra ( 10,000 # ) tow rating.
There is nothing economical about repair costs/ and parts for diesel motors, good mpg numbers would have to be in the stratophere to compensate for the higher ownership costs of diesels.
Stick to the Tundra, my 2 cents.
None of the above cents, takes into account my experience of the marine diesels I have had. That was a horror story. Now I have a E-tec outboard, and love it.
alan

Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
NewMoon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, other than replacing the exhaust system and boost hoses, my 1998.5 Ram ISB Cummins engine has cost me essentially nothing for repairs in 170K miles, almost half of which towing a 12,000lb boat trailer. Replaced clutch at ~150K miles. These are normal wear items. Still runs good as new - better, actually.

Routine maintenance has been no big deal as well - oil, coolant, filter changes. I'm having a hard time understanding why some folks seem to have high repair/maintenance costs for their pickup diesels.

Towing mileage is WAY better than it would be with gas. 10-11 mpg towing that big rig vs maybe 7-8. Towing performance, especially in the mountains, is WAY better too.
Easyvictor.14

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Easy Victor
Photos: Easy Victor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,
I have a 2014 Ram EcoDiesel, I've put 37,000 absolutely flawless, trouble free miles on it in 2 years.
Truck has the 3.0 liter VM Motori turbo diesel that they've been using in Europe in boats and vehicles for better than 30 years in one form or another.

I tow my 2008 23' Venture about 5000 miles a year so far. Tons of torque ( it is still a 1/2 ton, so don't go crazy), great mileage, quiet, smooth ride.

Mine is a Laramie (loaded) crew cab, 4wd, 6'4" bed. I AVERAGE, hand calculated, 24 mpg city/highway, per tank.

Towing the C Dory at 60-67 mph, I get 14 mpg consistently.

Love the truck, and I've owned virtually every brand at one time or another.

You can see a few pics in my album.

Robert

1981 T Craft 26 center console
1981 Silverton 34
1979 Chapparal 187
Many, many other small aluminum, wood and fiberglass toys!!!
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to calculate the ACTUAL (i.e., out the door cost) cost of the V6 Diesel option in the 1/2 ton pickup?

Last year I went online and tried using their "build it" system to spec out one of these Ram 1/2 Ton diesel pickups. My impression at the time was that with the diesel engine and other required upgrades, it was nearly $10K. Again, this was going by MSRP figures on Dodge's website and I certainly could be off base on my calculations.

The main positives of diesel power are superior towing and better fuel mileage. The mileage improvement is diluted, if not altogether lost, when you calculate the actual fuel costs. In the SE USA where I live, diesel costs 20-30% MORE than gasoline; so there is really NO SAVINGS on fuel until the diesel exceeds the gas engine/s MPG by that amount (diesel/gasoline price differential will vary according to WHERE you are buying your fuel).

Now don't get the wrong impression - I LOVE DIESELS! I've had the opportunity to tow my previous boat (cape cruiser 23 AKA Venture 23) with a V6 powered diesel SUV (German made) and it was FAR SUPERIOR at towing in comparison to 1/2 ton suburbans and V8 5.4L gas 1/2 ton Silverado.

So, if you want it GET IT. You will have to crunch the numbers on fuel savings - yes, the mpg figures look GREAT, however, the REAL fuel savings will be less. Which takes us back to HOW MUCH DOES IT COST? If you have to operate the RAM 100K miles to "pay back" (or "save") on fuel costs enough to equal your increased upfront cost...well, it's not really a factor in the purchase as far as I'm concerned.

The truck should have increased resale value over a comparable gas powered version.

If the VASTLY improved towing performance is worth it to you, then get one!

dave
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been a Dodge, or Fiat, fan. But that's just behind the Twins vs Single debate! Something new in the mix is the 2016 Nissan Titan with a 5.0 L Cummins V6. A lot stronger engine and higher towing capacity.

http://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/2016-titan/

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamer wrote:
I've never been a Dodge, or Fiat, fan. But that's just behind the Twins vs Single debate! Something new in the mix is the 2016 Nissan Titan with a 5.0 L Cummins V6. A lot stronger engine and higher towing capacity.

http://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/2016-titan/

Roger- The link above says it's a V-8, not a V-6. (Better yet!) Ha! Laughing

(Probably a typo.)

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

The recommended tongue weight for a conventional hitch is 10 percent of the gross trailer weight. The maximum tongue weight for Class IV receiver hitch is limited to 1100lb.

Doesn't sound like it would come into play towing a 22 anyway, but I think you have a tandem axle trailer, right? If so, then around 7% is generally considered to be the ideal tongue weight. I think the 10% "rule" is for single axle trailers.

My 22 and tandem trailer, all up (including tongue weight) is generally around 4600#. I carry 330# of tongue weight and it tows like a dream. This is very close to 7% tongue weight.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Ram 1500 diesel Reply with quote

I looked on line there is a DAVE Smith
Kellogg ID.dealer that sell Rams and GMC vehicles The 4by4 tradesman quad cab ram 1500 with 3.0 litre diesel is going for 37-38k
His phone is 800-635-8000 I have no affiliation with this dealer also one can look at Off Lease Only for cars and trucks on the east coast Jim

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
reelchef

City/Region: Port Chester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Reel Chef
Photos: Reel Chef
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2014 ram tradesman 4x4 ecodiesel. I get 28 - 30 MPG on the highway, not towing my 22 cruiser. When towing, I get between 14-20. It has the tow button which turns it from an 8 speed to a 6 speed trans, to keep it from up shifting when towing. I leave it in regular mode because the truck barely knows that the dory is behind it. Love the truck, have put 30k miles on it. It would also pull a 25 cruiser or a Ros with no problem. It has a great computer display that shows oil, trans temp, tire pressure, and more when towing. The only negative that I see with the truck is that the cargo rating sucks, only 1500lbs or so, although I have not loaded it yet, but it is legal to drive on any road/ parkway in the US, so I am ok with that. I now have one multi use vehicle that gets great gas mileage, and can do it all. Long term, I am still a little leery, Italian motor, German transmission, Canadian & Mexican body... The dealer told me that final assembly was here in the US. He laughed when I told him that all we did here was print out the window sticker! My last ram 2500 was mostly American, including the Cummins diesel. I bought the long term drvetrain warranty, just in case. I hope this review helps you all, I will upload a pic into my profile now so you can see my whole set up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: