USB Charging on Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: USB Charging on Board Reply with quote

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2015/december/installing-a-usb-socket.asp?utm_source=BMAG&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bmag_art3_1115

When I use the cigarette lighter 12 volt my Windows phone says 'slow charging, use an appropriate charger', or words to that effect. And my phone gives the same message when I hook it up to my backup recharging battery, either 1 or 2 amp USB socket.

Is the above article what I should do?
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a higher amperage USB charger. I've had good luck with these: USB Car Charger
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob,

Another choice. I have not used this one, but Belkin has always served me well.
http://www.target.com/p/belkin-2-1-amp-car-charger-red/-/A-14511470

The item you linked would be my preference, but demands some installation. I would install two, at their low amperage you could run them both off the same fuse Like the low profile compared to most chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter fixture. At any electronics store should be a couple choices of the latter.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found one of these at Costco:

Lithium Jump Starter and Portable Power Bank

Features: High Output Jump Starter
2 USB Ports for Fast Charging of Mobile Devices
8000mAh High Capacity Power Bank
3 Mode Flashlight

Item #750766

Your Price$59.99
Shipping & Handling: $5.99 *

It weighs 1.1 pound and is about 3” x 5’ x 1”. It is replacing the jump start pack that I have been carrying for 9 years that weighed 12 pounds and was the size of a basket ball.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to install a cigarette lighter socket rather than the dedicated USB socket. Then you can use any appliance, which plugs into the Cig lighter socket. This includes various amperage, USB phone chargers, lights of all types, including spot lights, fans, inflators for the dinghy, or even small cup type of water heaters. (Also the small inverters)

I use at least #10 wiring and fuse it for 30 amps. I have all of my fuses in the Blue Seas fuse panels, it makes it much neater than separate fuses in line. You also want a switch if you are going to put in a dedicated USB charger. Often the deliated are not enough amperage for the i pad or other tablets.

Blue seas panel, available in 6 or 12 fuse. I changed out the single six which came with the boat to two 12 fuse panels, and labeled each fuse and circuit.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bob's advice and installed several Cig plug receptacles and then plug my devices into the cig plugs. I have one cig plug that is hot to the battery even when the 1-2-Both-Off switch is in the Off position. That way I can use that plug to power my rear view camera when towing, and everything else is off. When anchored, I use that plug for my small Garmin GPS to monitor my anchored position wanderings.

Cell phone charger, hand held VHF chargers, inverter for lap top, and spot light chargers all plug into the cig lighter plug.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

RobLL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information and alternatives. I have a friend who is the sort of 'master of all trades' coming up, so will have him look at these replies. And that Costco back up looks like the sort of thing I would also want.

Bitterend guy did a presentation on electronics at the Seattle boat show, and his first three pieces of advice was batteries, batteries, batteries.
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This summer I had same problem with just I-Pad charging. I tried two different Cig/ USB port adapters, one of which was the Amazon one listed above. The I-Pad lost battery charge while hooked up running a Marine chart program while we were running. The Cig lighter sockets were add-on that I installed and tapped into other wires for power in the left corner or forward passenger side of the boat. I concluded that wires are too small for that long a run for the draw needed by our devices. This last trip we had the following needing charging from a USB port: 2 laptops, a Verizon "Hotspot" WiFi, 2 camera batteries, a Kendal "paperwhite" and the I-Pad. We had to schedule what got charged and when.

With that in mind, this winter's job list includes running a new dedicated line of a larger gauge wire from a dedicated helm switch/ fuze to the underside of the table and install multi outlets there.

Chuck

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot to add that the Costco jumpstart/charger also plugs into the cig lighter for 12VDC charging. How cool. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the jump start battery at my Costco store and saved the shipping charge. Smile

Bill Kelleher

RobLL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that Amazon has a number of the battery back-ups which will start automobile gas motors, they all seem to include charging electronics, a flashlight, and can be charged with the cigarette lighter.

It also seems that charging one would work better with the re-wired 12 volt battery per thataway.
Bob&Alicia

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: Bob&Alicia
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: What's the amp output on the USB? Reply with quote

We've been charging 2 iPhones, iPad, Mifi using the 12 volt at the helm and under table. We use a USB multi plug. The amp of the USB OUTPUT seems to be the key. 1 amp for iPhone overnight anchor watch. For ipad navionics the 2+ amp output. I bought two 12v plugs with 3 USB slots on Amazon. Amps are 1, 2, 2.2. iPad needs the over 2. No issues charging 3 devices at a time. Most USB 12v are only 1 amp output.
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all USB chargers provide the same amperage.

Here is my post from Mon May 11, 2015

For the he past few weeks we have noticed that our iPad3 was slowly loosing its charge over 6-8hours of cruising. By late afternoon the iPad would be down to <10% even though it had been plugged in to a 12V socket all day. The iPad simply required more energy than the 12V plug was providing.

As a test, we plugged our small (140W) RadioShack inverter into the 12V source, then plugged the somewhat larger iPad 110V charger into the inverter. Problem solved - but the arrangement was rather cumbersome. Using this arrangement the iPad maintained its charge all day.

When we met Steve Baum (CD22 "Osprey") few days ago, he had experienced the same iPad power-loss issue that we experienced. His solution was to use a PowerGen 12V plug that supplies more current. He set me up with one, and it seems to be working fine, and it's a simple USB adaptor that goes into the 12V socket. I've seen several of these, and most seem to supply 2.1A. The PowerGen supplies 4.2A (if you only have one device plugged in).

Here's the PowerGen link on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XPowerGen+4.2.TRS0&_nkw=PowerGen+4.2&_sacat=0

Best,
Casey&Mary

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: USB Charging on Board Reply with quote

We use a 400w inverter plugged into a standard 12vdc socket. Then plug in a 6 way power strip. Then you can use your standard 120v ac charging adapter that came with your devices. Lets you charge camera batteries Ipads, cell phones, etc. This has worked for us for years while on the boat or towing on land in our truck.
D.D.

Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I just found one of these at Costco:

Lithium Jump Starter and Portable Power Bank

Harvey, any idea how long that thing will hold a charge? And has anyone actually used one of these to start a boat engine?

Andy Ryan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: