State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first reply, from my friendly tech at Standard Horizon:

Hello Colby,
The radio is designed to send all data it receives out to the attached devices. Have you checked with Garmin about firmware updates to those units? I know they have released firmware to correct such a scenario.

Still waiting to see what reply I get back from Garmin. I did reply back to Juan at SH to see if there was a way to filter out the data it sends out via the network, but thinking about it, I can understand why the radio would send everything out and let attached devices filter out what's not wanted there. As stated previously, the VHF does filter it out on it's own screen. Colby
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While waiting for an email reply, I decided to call Garmin. It doesn't appear they have any real solution to this, other than maybe going in and turning off certain NMEA 183 codes. Two the tech mentioned as possible, would be OSD and VDO sentences. Before I start doing that, I thought I'd see if anyone here with more technical knowledge on NMEA 183 that understands all the sentences, has any suggestions on which ones to turn off. (I should be able to pull that page up on my Garmin units to change.) Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby Laughing Laughing That is why I take my electronics to the guys at Rodgers Marine. that may be a ways for you but you could give them a call and talk to Marty K.

Waiting and holding my breath,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Rain

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Glory
Photos: C-Glory
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Proactive... Reply with quote

Colby, being proactive is a good idea! I would have called Garmin too!

I am very interested in your resolution of this issue as I am having a Garmin GPSMAP7610 and a ICOM506 installed and wonder if I will encounter a similar problem.

J

hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J,
When I talked to ICOM tech support about that issue, They told me that the M506 was smart enough to recognize it's own MMSI. I guess that worked, mostly. I have found that when traveling very very slow, 2-3 knots or less, i sometimes see my own AIS marker following me. It has to do with when the speed drops below that minimum, the AIS transmits at a less frequent rate, so the shadow doesn't really move but hop scotches along behind. It does not set off the alarms though.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could try putting the transponder on the network and see if that would remove the targets from the Garmin. But that would require taking the GX2150 off network. Unfortunately, I want to keep the communication between the GX2150 and the Garmins for DSC uses. There are two ports for NMEA 183 on the newer Garmin (840) so I could use both of them, but you can only transmit/receive data on one or the other at one time. So I would still need to shut off data flow with the GX2150. In the end, having my own target on my Garmins isn't the end of the world. But it may induce some nuisance warnings when I have alarms turned on for AIS. Another option may be to see if I can just turn the AIS receiver off on the GX2150, and let the HP33A provide the only display I have for AIS. Colby
Rain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Good to know... Reply with quote

Thanks Harvey. That is good to know. If it was a problem I was going to blame you for recommending it! Smile

Colby, I think I read somewhere in the manual for the Garmin 7610 that you can choose targets to be ignored. I'll look for it again. Seems like the Garmin representative with whom you spoke would know that though! The GX2150 may be the same.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 840 and 541 (Garmin GPSMAPs) do not have that option apparently. I just got a reply back from the tech at SH that AIS can not be turned off in the GS2150 VHF. I'm thinking about taking the Garmin Chartplotters off network with the 2150. And then hooking the 2150 up with the AIS Transponder, as it can also provide GPS position data to the 2150. Since the transponder has it's own screen and can show targets received, I'd just keep AIS, DSC and communication between the VHF and AIS, and leave the Chartplotters to themselves. Unfortunately, that removes any plotting of DSC alerts off the chartplotters as well. You know, I think there gets to be a point when one can have too many electronics! Rolling Eyes Colby
Rain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Deactivation An AIS Target Reply with quote

Colby,

Check out page 6 - "Deactivating A Target For An AIS Vessel". This is for the 7610, but hopefully will be similar for your unit.

https://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/searchManuals.faces?refresh=true

Good Luck!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rain. Your link actually didn't work, but I did find it in both my 840 and 541 manuals. According to the manualsl, the link on my chart plotters is: Settings > Other Vessels > AIS > Off. I'll have to check into that in the next few days. Would be nice to just filter out my vessel only, but this may be the next best thing. And since the HP33A has it's own screen showing all targets, I really don't need to repeat them on my Garmins. Wish the Garmin Tech could have told me that on the phone, but I'll see what reply I get to my original emailed request. Colby
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Thanks Rain. Your link actually didn't work, but I did find it in both my 840 and 541 manuals. According to the manualsl, the link on my chart plotters is: Settings > Other Vessels > AIS > Off. I'll have to check into that in the next few days. Would be nice to just filter out my vessel only, but this may be the next best thing. And since the HP33A has it's own screen showing all targets, I really don't need to repeat them on my Garmins. Wish the Garmin Tech could have told me that on the phone, but I'll see what reply I get to my original emailed request. Colby

Hello Colby,

I'm looking at the manual for the Garmin 800/1000 series plotters. Like Rain says, page 6 (middle of Left column of text) shows how to "deactivate" an AIS target:
Quote:
Deactivating a Target for an AIS Vessel
1 From a chart or a 3D chart view, select an AIS vessel.
2 Select AIS Vessel > Deactivate Target.

This would be better than completely deactivating AIS functionality and it's associated alarms.

On my boat, I have a Simrad NSS8 along with an older Garmin 740 on the N2K network. AIS receive is fed into the N2K via the VHF. Anyway, the Garmin display gives more USEFUL information about AIS targets than the Simrad. If I could have only one display to show the AIS targets, it would be the Garmin - as usual, they have developed their graphical interface more than other brands. Neither display shows MY boat.

dave
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you can have to much electronics, but I think I have about reached my limit on SleepyC. The ICOM M506 VHF has become a favorite for ease of use, and logical menus. It's AIS out put does not go to my older Raymarine C-120 Classic plotter (MFD), so it is not tied into the "network". The Standard Horizon GX2150 is tied in, and it outputs both DSC and AIS data to my plotter. The plotter also receives AIS data from the Vesper Marine Watchmate Vision AIS transponder, which is programmed through a multiplexer to be the primary AIS signal for the MFD. If the WatchMate is not turned on, or were to fail, then the AIS out put from the 2150 would come through.

That setup was basically designed to provide for redundancy of AIS to the plotter. The ICOM M506 provide AIS redundancy should the plotter itself give up the ghost. In that case, the Standard Horizon 2150 give redundancy to that process as well.

There is also redundancy for the fog horn capability, provided by a 3 way switch from each VHF to the horn.

And Yea, I'm not smart enough to figure out all the nooks and crannies, I just told the guys at Rodgers how I wanted it to work. They did a great job and I give them credit for that. Although it was not all put in at the same time, there was a basic plan from the beginning, and it went in step by step, and has been working in a coordinated and cohesive way.

BTW, I think Rain's link worked for me... at least it took me to where I could look up the manual.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I'm pretty sure that deactivation of target, just means it's not "following" it or showing it's data, but I believe it still remains a triangle on the scope. And when I tried getting to that link with only my boat showing as I was working on it on the trailer, it was not there, so it may be with the AIS target right over my boat, it won't deactivate. Much of this will probably have to wait until spring when I get onto Lake Michigan or somewhere that has several AIS boats. In any case, I will still have a full display of AIS vessels on my new transponder, even if I shut it off on the Garmins.

Harvey, my inventory includes the Garmin 840xs, which also has the HD18 Radar, the Garmin 541S, the HP-33A, the GX2150 with a loudhailer, an older Standard Horizon VHF without AIS, a handheld VHF, and the AP. The two Garmins and the AP are on an NMEA 2000? Network, and the Garmins and GX2150 are on a NMEA 183 network. At this time, I have the HP-33A standing alone. It's all mounted near the Helm, but I still have good out the window vision! And I recently purchased a PLB. Smile Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

Maybe you could get someone to tow you around the parking lot, edge of town or a field and see if your AIS is following you Wink Might be hard to find a reciprocal target though, given the time of year.

As to the inventory, I posted that to show the duplication and redundancy capability. It looks like you have some of the same. I highly think it is a good idea, especially if you are in an area with heavy traffic, or possibility of fog or heavy rain, or will be moving at night. I hope you get that bug worked out, because I like the Garmin system, and if you can get it straight, then J (Rain) on C-Glory should be able to as well. I would replace my RayMarine 218 for almost any excuse and replace with either an ICOM (probably) or Standard Horizon if ICOM does not prove up, but I don't see that happening. It got a pretty good workout last summer already.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I had to laugh about towing it around the parking lot. Yes, I do like my Garmin plotter, and it would be nice to continue having the targets on that. Just kind of hard to play around with it all this time of year here in the Midwest. And the electronics has come in nice on both Lake Michigan and the Mississippi River! It's all (except the new HP-33A) been used at one time or another! Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: