colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the HP-33A and installed it today. So far it all seems to work pretty good. At least just what I can tell with the boat in the yard on the trailer, and what my GX2150 picked up. The GPS antenna that came with it was small enough to mount on that overhead shelf above the front windshield. (Even though I made the shelf a compartment by adding a door.) The issue I have now, and perhaps I'll find the answer when I look at my GX2150 manual, is how do I blank out the target of my own boat that the AIS transponder is sending out? The GX2150 doesn't show it on it's screen or listing, however I have the GX2150 also hooked up to my Garmin GPSMAP 840XS, and the Garmin is showing the AIS Target of my boat on the navigation screen. (SO apparently the GX2150 suppresses it, but still sends it out over the 183 communication.)

Also, I have quite a bit of extra antenna cable from the GPS unit. The directions say not to cut that cable, but to just coil it up. However, they also speak of removing the end connector to pass the cable thru any openings, so it must be easy to reinstall the connector (as long as the cable is properly prepared.) Anyone ever have any problem cutting a GPS cable to a shorter length? Like a much shorter length? I only need about 2 foot of cable left on it. IN the mean time, the coiled cable only takes up several square inches of room, but that's still space....
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing about the circuit in a GPS, which requires the cable to be intact. The only worry that the company has is proper re-atachment to the connection. Sometimes you may have to replace or solder the pins on the connector.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the manual...

Note 1: Do not shorten the antenna cable.

Note 2: If the antenna cable is to be passed through a hole which is not large enough to pass the connector, unfasten the connector with a needle nose pliers and 3/8-inch open-end wrench. Refasten it as shown below, after running the cable through the hole.

The diagram shows the connector and pin. I'm assuming it can't be any harder than installing the VHF p259 connector. I may work with that later. (Think I'll first find a new connector just in case!). Colby
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Finally got the HP-33A and installed it today. So far it all seems to work pretty good. At least just what I can tell with the boat in the yard on the trailer, and what my GX2150 picked up. The GPS antenna that came with it was small enough to mount on that overhead shelf above the front windshield. (Even though I made the shelf a compartment by adding a door.) The issue I have now, and perhaps I'll find the answer when I look at my GX2150 manual, is how do I blank out the target of my own boat that the AIS transponder is sending out? The GX2150 doesn't show it on it's screen or listing, however I have the GX2150 also hooked up to my Garmin GPSMAP 840XS, and the Garmin is showing the AIS Target of my boat on the navigation screen. (SO apparently the GX2150 suppresses it, but still sends it out over the 183 communication.)

Hello Colby,

In the 'set-up' of your Garmin 840 is your MMSI number in there? In other words, does your GARMIN know your MMSI? If not, then it will show your boat as a target. On my last MFD the set up process req'd input of my MMSI.

All of your displays must know their own 'identity' (i.e., your MMSI) or will show your boat as a 'target' and result in the expected CPA alarms.

dave
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe my mmsi number is entered in my 840 Dave. In fact I don't remember any setting to input it. The 840 doesn't have its own AIS receiver, but just repeats it from my GX2150 via the 183 connections. I'll have to look into that, unless you can point me in the right direction for that setting😊. Thanks! Colby
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: AIS Transmitter / Transponder Reply with quote

We went with a Vesper Marine Watch Mate 850. Ours was installed with a separate antenna which I think is what Vesper thinks is best. It is my feeling keeping the VHF and AIS on separate antennas might provide less possible issues and makes trouble shooting more straight forward. Vesper has received high marks from the boating community which was the main reason we started our search with them. Plus it's made in the U.S.A. which is a big part of my product selection. I think a U.S. based company would in most cases provide better support down the road. But this is JMHO. I also make an attempt to support advertisers on this forum. Wefings is a Vesper dealer and that is where ours was purchased.
D.D.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Vesper antenna splitter on order. I realize this will degrade service slightly compared to separate antennas, but I also replaced the 4' whip I was using to an 8' Shakespear, so in the end I think I'll still be better off, at least with my back up VHF radio, than if I had kept it on it's own 4' whip. And I'm satisfied with the slight reduction that might mean in the capability of the AIS transponder. Regarding supporting local or USA products, I too do that when I can. But cost considerations also are looked at, and sometimes make a purchase more viable! (Very concerned subject to me. Right now I'm preparing for an appeal with my health insurance company regarding a Cpap mask that thru their provider costs over $300, and the same exact mask purchased online thru Amazon for $62. There is no reasonable explanation for such a mark up! I also believe in the motto, you get what you pay for, and so no, I don't always buy the cheapest thing, but I will look for the best deal!) Colby
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, are you saying YOUR boat shows up as a RED (dangerous) target on your Garmin display? I've downloaded the manual for the 840XS but it says NOTHING about inputting your MMSI. When I installed my Simrad display, that was part of the "set up."

Maybe there is something in your VHF manual that will help.

Now, with the HP-33A, you have TWO devises inputting AIS info into your 'system', right? Or, is the HP completely separate from the VHF and Garmin (aside from the splitter/antenna connection).

dave
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can make this a bit clearer.

I have the GX2150 VHF radio with AIS receiver,
and two plotters, the Garmin GPSMAP 840xs and GPSMAP 541S,
connected together via an NMEA 183 network. I have not mentioned the 541 in this thread, as I have not turned it on doing this work. However, both plotters, while they do not have any form of AIS receiver, do repeat the AIS targets sent out by the 2150 on the network.
The GX2150 has it's own dedicated Antenna. I do have a second VHF radio, without AIS, (or NMEA 183) and it is the one that will share its antenna thru a splitter with the HP33A AIS transponder. I do not have the splitter yet, so the HP33 right now is on it's own dedicated antenna.

The HP-33A GPS/Transponder, is setup as a stand alone unit. (It has capability to add to my NMEA 183 network, but I have chose to leave it stand alone.) It has a screen page that can show all received AIS targets, but does not show it's own transmitted signal on that page.

IT was nice seeing my own boat's AIS signal displayed as a target on my GPS840, as that indicated my transponder (HP-33A) was working. The only way for the 840 to show the target however, is if the AIS signal was being received by the GX2150 VHF. However, the GX2150VHF was not showing the target on it's own tiny screen or on its listing page of contacts, so I assume it was filtering it out automatically, probably because of the MMSI number being the same inputted into both the GX2150 and HP-33A.

So the issue remains, is there a way to filter off (or back on) that signal from showing a target repeated to other equipment on the NMEA 183 network? I did try placing the 840's curser over the target to see if that would pull up any screens allowing me to filter off the target, but there didn't appear to be any.... Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, You are using a Standard Horizon GX 2150. SH came out with a new version of that radio, The GX2200, The major difference in those two radio's is that the 2250 was designed to ignore itself on the AIS display.

I have a 2150 too, and when I put in my Vesper WatchMate Vision, I had to pull the 2150 and it was sent back to Standard Horizon to address the very issue you are dealing with. I would recommend getting on the phone with Standard Horizon tech support and let them know what is going on. I think they can fix it, but how they do it might be a secret Wink and it is worth the hassle.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey. I think the difference with the newer radio was the inclusion of it's own GPS. Actually, the 2150 does not show my transponder target on it's screen or listing, but rather is still communicating it thru the NMEA 183 network. I did find some info in my Garmin documentation last night that might allow me to filter it out on it's screen, and will check into that today. Since I just got my 2150 back from SH a few weeks ago, where they changed the firmware and software, I have to imagine it is all "up to date". But I may give them a call if I can't figure this out soon. Smile Thanks. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no luck today trying to filter out my own transponder targets on the Garmin units, so I sent a email to both Garmin and Standard Horizon looking for info...
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, What ya bet, Garmin will say it's a problem in the SH, and SH will say it's Garmins fault. Confused Good luck.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Harvey, you might be right. However.... I have had pretty good experiences with both Garmin and Standard Horizon's customer service in the past. Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I agree, and I have had good service from both also. I hope that continues for you here.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: