View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Co Detectors Reply with quote

With the installation of a new heater in my boat, I decided it would probably be wise to update my CO2 Detector. I only found a few other older threads here on C-Brats regarding detectors, so decided to start a new one. Doing some brief research I see there are some recommendations of detectors that are not necessarily "marine" listed. Primarily, CO Experts Model 2002 Low-Level CO Monitor ($120), and the other (cheaper but less sensitative) is the Kidde Nighthawk 900-0089 ($47) (Bob, you might recognize that quote from one of your posts on another forum. Smile The other, the kidde model 900-0146 digital batery powered unit, which retails for 39.97 at Lowe's.

I'm mostly interested in one of the Kidde Models, and just wondering for those of you that know how these things work, if one is better than the other? I also found the following one on Amazon: Kidde C3010 Worry-Free Carbon Monoxide Alarm with 10 Year Sealed Battery, and wonder what those in the know think of this one. My current CO2 detector is wired to the boat's 12 vt. system, so I can hard wire any new detector, but wondering if there is any advantage to one that has it's own battery. Also, is there any harm in leaving any of the detectors in the boat over winter in the Midwest. (Sub zero temps.) Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First--it is Carbon Monoxide (C O), not carbon dioxide (C O2)

Remember that all C O detectors are dumbed down. This happened about in 1993, because paramedics were getting "too many false alarms". As Cobly noted, the C O experts which is made for airplanes is going to be the best.

Any C O detector has a life--usually related to be 5 years. (Some of the newest have a longer life, and I'll have to re-check on this). But if you have an 8 + year old C O detector, it is time to change.

The Kiddie, which have digital readout are my favorites--and we have 3 on the boat, in the car and RV. Also the Kidde KN-COPP-B-LPM is under $19 at Amazon.

From the Kiddie manual: The alarm does not go off until these levels are reached:
"70 PPM = 60-240 min., 150 PPM = 10-50 min., 400 PPM = 4-15 min."

There is a C 3010-D for digital, which has the digital read out. These readouts are no where as good as a professional instrument--they have between 30 to40% error. The battery is Li ion, and good for 10 years. There is no information if the sensor is truly good for 10 years. Most Kiddie units have a warning, that the sensor is not good for more than 7 years.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I had a CO monitor from the time I got my boat. It was the first "thing" I added. It was a Kidde, and I think it was the nighthawk version; Battery powered only, and at a dock on Stewart Island, it went off. I thought it was from the guy behind me who was running a Honda 2000, charging his Batteries. The long story short, it was exactly 7 years since I had put the first batteries into the detector, and they are programmed to last exactly that long and then self limit -- the alarm sound I was getting -- which does not reset in any way except by removing the batteries and rendering the unit inoperable.

BTW, I had a viable alarm alert this summer doing slow cruise with the cabin door open, and a slight aft breeze, even though I had the side windows open. I had a reading over 200. I was sitting at the helm, with the monitor at about my knee level.

I would look into the longevity of a hardwired sensor for sure.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

schiavolou

City/Region: Wilton Creek, VA
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Skimmer
Photos: Skimmer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Bob, is the Kidde KN-COPP-B-LPM at $19, the one you have in the boat, car and RV? And you have found it suitable for the marine application?
Thanks

colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the newer one from Amazon,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FHW7P40?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

After going back and forth on several, I liked this one enough to order 2. One to update the old one in the home, and another for the boat. I also decided to add a smoke detector also, as my boat doesn't have one, and with the heater install, just thought it might be wise to have a smoke detector also. Going back and forth, I just ended up with the Photo Electric sensor, thinking that there would be smoke with any fire, considering the materials in the boat. (Just an inexpensive ($10) standard version that should do the trick for a few years anyway.)

Also, regarding the PPM where these CO detectors are set to go off. Sounds like there is some debate on that issue. Seems like the UL is requiring the alerts beginning at 70. The unit above does show the concentration beginning at 30. But using Bob's numbers for accuracy, suppose that could be anywhere from 10-40 (+- a few more points.) (Which is all Greek to me... If it starts showing numbers or loudly chirping, it'll be time to get up, off and figure it out.... Shocked

Back to my other question; should I pull these units out of my boat during winter storage? (Easy enuf to pull the batteries out of the smoke detector, but not the CO detector.) Colby
Rain

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Glory
Photos: C-Glory
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Battery Information Reply with quote

Colby, there is some good information at the link below:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rain, but that link seems to discuss charging issues. When I ask about leaving the CO detector in the boat, it's a situation of operating temperature. But I may have already found that answer in that the range listed in the specs shows 40-100 F. So I will probably pull the detector out and keep inside during the winter when I'm not on the boat. Interesting to note that placing the detector on it's mount is what activates it. So I'm hoping removing it for temporary storage is not a problem. (And I assume that it will continue to monitor CO while stored in the house! Smile Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was wondering if either of the sysops reading this could change the title of my thread to CO detectors. Thanks. Colby
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We knew what you meant. No harm, no foul.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Was wondering if either of the sysops reading this could change the title of my thread to CO detectors. Thanks. Colby

You may need to send them a PM for that. Go to the member list button on the heading banner, click there and they are number 2 and 3 I believe -- Tyboo = Mike or DaNag = Bill.

Good idea to change it in case anyone wants to search for content info later.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True story:

Because we have propane appliances and water heater at one of my remote field research camps we have combo smoke and CO detectors.

One season when the exhaust was blocked by an excessive amount of snow, I received a message from the person in charge of that camp that the CO detectors were alarming.

He informed me that the back of the detector had the following instructions, which the crew followed: "If the alarm sounds, move to fresh air."

I replied that they should shut off propane from outside, and wait until the unit stops alarming, open windows and doors, etc, before they go in and address the exhaust issue.

A bit later I received a reply that the unit CO detector stopped alarming as soon as they moved it outside to fresh air and that they didn't have to leave the cabin at all.

Facepalm. Everyone was okay, probably because the cabin is drafty as heck.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done Harvey. Here I thought those guys read everything posted! lol Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably do, but I kind of like the direct approach, thinking it might save them some time. I see the change has happened.

Thanks guys, Again, You are great.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately CO poisoning can be very subtle, You can have a large amount in a short time, or a very small amount over a long period. The CO binds the hemoglobin, and those does not allow oxygen to be carried. I have seen a number of cases of CO poisoning where the person had no idea that they had poisoning, until it was too late!
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Unfortunately CO poisoning can be very subtle, You can have a large amount in a short time, or a very small amount over a long period. The CO binds the hemoglobin, and those does not allow oxygen to be carried. I have seen a number of cases of CO poisoning where the person had no idea that they had poisoning, until it was too late!

The lucky ones are the ones who wake up with a severe headache and nausea. Many (as Bob mentions) do not.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: