View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Two Tris around the World Reply with quote

For those who are interested in sailboat/racing, there are two trimarans who have been on standby for an attempt at the Jules Verne Trophy--faster trip around the World non stop. Spindrift 2 is a 40 meter vessel which set the 45 day 13 + hour record under an other name, She has been modified, including chopping the rig down. (She sailed with a reef in the main most of the time)--making her faster! She carries a crew of 14. Her co manager is a lady, who just took sailing a few years ago! This boat set the Trans Atlantic Record averaging over 39 knots!

The first boat to leave was IDEC SPORT, a 31.5 meter try, with a crew of 6. She is also capable of speeds of twice the wind speed. Both of these crewsu are very experienced both in multihulls, and in around the world races--with most of the sailors having at least one around the world race under their belts.

The first Jules Verne Race was in 1993, and between then and the last record run of 45 days 13 hours 53 minutes 34 days was shaved off the time, and the average speed from 12.63 knots to 19.75 knots!

One might ask why start in the middle of the night, in the beginning of winter. The most important part of these crews is the router, who has to determine the most favorable wind conditions for the race (These are land based, but still essential crew members!) They should get to the equator form the Southern Tip of England in about 5 days (or less?)--and from then on, until they cross the equator again, on the way North, they are in the Southern Ocean--where it is ...spring time. The ice pack will be a bit further south, and hopefully the Roaring 40's will be not more than that...40 knots of wind! It should be an interesting race. I am not yet sure of one tracker. There is a thread on Sailing Anarchy, which will give some of the best overview:

Jules Verne

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! Those kinds of speeds and conditions are hard on boats and people... I remember (?) seeing video of a Nigel Irens tri breaking up in a race.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The universal tracker is back up, with the two boats on it--does not have the old record:

Universal tracker

Separate tracks for Spindrift 2

Sindrif 2

And for IDEC Sport:
IDEC SPORT

It appears that both boats are currently behind the record pace, but still making very fast progress.

And a little video: sailing
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45mph wind and 6 meter seas, and making 30+ knots of speed, that's m ore of everything than I would be comfortable in Laughing and then some Shocked

Lot's of exciting sailing coming up on this one. Thanks for sharing this one Bob,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recognizing speed changes you, I like sailbotes that go faster
than 10 knots. So, I dialed into multihulls some time ago.
Bought a Hobie 16 as soon as I could afford one (sail#12086,
early '70s). Best and most fun/$ I ever spent.
Then, later, built an Atlantic 42 catamaran (a beauty Chris White
design) with my bro and planned a Great Circle trip one year we
never completed loosing confidence in the boat and finding out
boat ownership works best with only one captain.
Despite building an inversion birth into this cat, since we already
realized the most stable position for any multihull is upside down,
this actually had nothing to do with our decision to dump this boat.
Somebody else's beauty of a headache now.

But back to these races above mentioned . They're great and sailed
by a 'different breed'.

Aye.

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spindrift 2 across the equator

This gives a short but good picture of live aboard an ocean racer, in relatively calm conditions. They have a drone! Photos of the boat going 11 knots in the doldrums! Well worth taking a few minutes and watching. Those who have crossed oceans will appreciate the "shower" scene! Often you get the squall, and then after soaping up, it is gone!
Leadbelly

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sisu
Photos: Sisu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob - I'm another former Corsair F-27 owner. Also owned an F-24 MKI and a MKII. I've been keeping my eye on the F-22 progress in New Zealand on f-boat.com, too.

But, the C-Dory 22 is working just fine for us and we'll really enjoying cruising at 18 knots. But then again, we'd go that fast in the F-27...
https://youtu.be/pP4iAaWm8Ok
https://youtu.be/Mh7LJHC9B-A
https://youtu.be/aqxKVDOw6LM

The Jules Verne race is something else. Just a wee sprint around Antarctica!

Cheers!

2018 Venture 23 “Sisu”
2019-2023

2007 22 Cruiser “Full 90”
2009-2019
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Spindrift 2 across the equator

This gives a short but good picture of live aboard an ocean racer, in relatively calm conditions. They have a drone! Photos of the boat going 11 knots in the doldrums! Well worth taking a few minutes and watching. Those who have crossed oceans will appreciate the "shower" scene! Often you get the squall, and then after soaping up, it is gone!

Small world! I worked for a crew member on the Spindrift 2, and had no idea she was into sailing. Her brother yes, but not Dona.

John Clark

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video of Spindrift reminds me of a video that a multihull sailing friend of mine sent me years ago. Likewise, it had incredible footage of spectacular speeds. Likewise, there was throbbing music for the soundtrack. It was all pictures of electrical equipment and computer screens showing the speed attained while living inside of a plastic tube and pushing buttons. No porpoise on the bow. No albatross following the boat. No sounds of seabirds.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. But maybe this activity should have a different name, as it is only vaguely related to "sailing." Same with riding a horse and "riding" a Ducati.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
The video of Spindrift reminds me of a video that a multihull sailing friend of mine sent me years ago. Likewise, it had incredible footage of spectacular speeds. Likewise, there was throbbing music for the soundtrack. It was all pictures of electrical equipment and computer screens showing the speed attained while living inside of a plastic tube and pushing buttons. No porpoise on the bow. No albatross following the boat. No sounds of seabirds.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. But maybe this activity should have a different name, as it is only vaguely related to "sailing." Same with riding a horse and "riding" a Ducati.

Mark

Sorry to disagree, these videos are of the time in calm conditions. This boat has 14 crew--so probably 7 are off watch. But there will be 4 to 7 on the deck at all times. Only the navigator, or alternate navigator will be spending a lot of time on watch below decks. Things happen very quickly at 30 knots. I have never sailed at that speed, but I have sailed in a monohull at 22 knots, and averaged over 16 down the Molokai channel under spinnaker--at the helm for 8 hours. Nothing like living in a tube--very real!

mast and hull inspection
bob-kir

City/Region: Kalamazoo
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bob that sailing a fast multihull is sailing at it's best. I built and sailed an F-25c all carbon trimaran for 11 years like the one that won the Race to Alaska. I have never done anything more exciting than driving a tri at 20+ knots at night with a crew of 3 in 6 ft seas with full main, spinaker and jib. You are only in the cabin for short 1 hour cat naps, if at all. On some 330 mile Chicago to Mac races when we had good wind none of the crew slept because it was so much fun and you never felt tired. When you trim your sails on a fast multi you pick up full knots, not tenths. Definately sailing at it's best.
Bob
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bringing this post back up to the top. It's going to be a long ride.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: