SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the propane heater with the viewing window...so you can see the fire inside.... and it is really kool for wine and cheese in the boat.... but I don't boat in any really cold places... I like to be warm.. The conversion of my lazerett made it possible to hold 2,5 gallons of propane safely ...I have never used my stove or heater long enough to figure out what my consumption is...I think it is probably good for a week out... it does not appear to use much at all.... it is a small fire and I never crank it up as the weather has never been so bad I needed to....

I mounted it in the corner by the stove top using cut down stansions that I bought at a boat salvage place.... I was worried that it would be in the way and affect my rear vision...but it does not at all...my head does not crank that far back... it has a internal fan that blows warm air and it seems to warm the cabin well... plus it is a hoot to watch... check it out, I don't think it would be good enough for Alaska weather but other than that it works fine...

Joel
SEA3PO
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO: Your lazarette locker propane mod is fantastic. If I go for a "real" propane system, I'm going to shamelessly copy it! (This depends on what fuel I choose for a heater, and that's still undecided.) It's a fantastic mod.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**BUMPING AN OLD THREAD**

I finally got my Dickinson Newport P12000 heater installed! So excited! My boat already has a dedicated propane system onboard so it seemed like a good marriage. I have a propane locker in the cockpit with the shutoffs, solenoid, lines etc (my galley stove is a Force 10). Also have a hardwired propane sniffer and 2 CO detectors inside the salon.

Anyway, here are a few pics. I'm very happy with it so far. It won't be as effective in heating the boat as a diesel heater but it has another quality which I absolutely love and don't mind trading the loss of BTU's for....It's like having a fireplace on the boat!!! Nice open flame and big viewing window.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a solenoid valve on the propane tank, coupled with sniffers in the bottom of the bilge, under the propane heater and the galley stove? There should be a solenoid valve that cuts off the propane tank unless you are using it.

A boat like yours is different than a C Dory, and has a bilge where fumes can collect. Open flame, and propane....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solenoid/shutoffs are brand new and are located in the propane locker (cockpit).

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/2-appliance-fittings-shut-offs-solenoid/

The propane sniffer (hardwired) display is mounted on the galley floor. I'm not sure if the display unit is the sniffer? I'd be willing to bet that the Camano factory placed the sensor where it would be the most effective...

I'm aware that propane is heavier than air so it could accumulate in the lowest depression (bilge). I feel safe with the install but I understand that burning propane is much more dangerous than diesel.

I'll definitely be monitoring everything. And I probably will never run the Dickinson while I'm sleeping.........
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be sniffers in the bottom of the bilge, behind the stove, and under the heater. The display or switch module is not the sniffer. You need to verify these. There should be shut off switch in the main cabin...So when you turn off the heater or stove, the solenoid is closed.

The sensor or sniffer elements have a life span of 5 years and should be replaced every 5 years. Hoses from the sealed propane locker, which drains overboard, should be one piece of hose from the connectors in the locker to the appliance--no bulkhead fittings, no "El" or T's. Separate hose for each appliance from the locker.

Unfortunately I have seen all too many boats go "Boom" or burn. Nice to have a fire extinguisher--but what if you have to use it on the stove, or a fire at coupling next to the stove--or if you have to evacuate the boat, if a fire at the stove? My role in all of this had been to treat the burn, or result of trauma due to explosion.

Take care
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a propane switch in the cabin (well actually it's in the galley). That's the main switch, so I'm assuming that's for the solenoid. The appliances won't work unless that switch is on.

As to the sniffer......I'm sure they are original! So 18 years old. Thanks, I'll look into that. I'll probably just end up buying a couple brand new units instead of refurbing my current one.

As to the appliances: Yes, each appliance has their own line. And the Dickinson appliance line is brand new. But regardless of that there still is a split because I'm running 2 appliances from one 30 lb tank. I'm using the recommended fitting from Dickinson.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind the heat, that looks cozy on it's own! More space allows for more options.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got good feedback. I'm a big fan of the gravity fed diesel drip variety, and there are several options. If you've ever been on a boat that needs batteries to make heat out of diesel fuel and not had the batteries, the frustrations are indelible. You can get passive results from a propane stove as well regardless of the height of the tank, but lots more potential for trouble with propane, and serious considerations must be taken for tank venting and fuel spills (yes I know propane is a gas, trust me, it spills and can kill you on a boat whether it ignites or not).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: