View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are ditch bags you buy supposed to float? Or do you add noodles or something else? Would be nice to own an inflateable liferaft, but for the price,think I will get a dingy first. If I ever do a lot of offshore fishing ,may buy one, in addition to dingy. Boat fires scare me ,or if hull gets punctured, taking on water at rate that pumps cant keep up scare me. Anybody have hole plugs in their ditch bag? Nice to have a second or third extinguisher also.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did some searches for high-end flotation gear. The stuff is twice as expensive as I paid in the olden days. Then I came across a $10 one-size-fits-all solution. Good for a laugh. It looks like I could fit everything I carry on a CD 16 inside the suit when I put it on. I wouldn't have to leave anything behind except the anchor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111797497990?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Patrick wrote:
Anybody have hole plugs in their ditch bag?

The plugs that you see in the marine stores are basically for failed through-hull fittings. You won't get a perfect hole any other way.

Cushions and a telescoping boat hook would probably be more useful. Emergency blankets and twine can be used for "fothering." Here's an article.

http://www.admiralyacht.com/admiral-news/crash-test-boat-pdfs/crash-test-boat-sinking.pdf

Geez, this site is getting kind of depressing.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rain

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: C-Glory
Photos: C-Glory
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: And stylish too! Reply with quote

Halloween is over; you'll have to save that for next year!

Any bag should have it's own flotation.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway,
The boat that we are going to use for the expedition race is called a Mikesboat, which is a wooden boat that is very well made.
The site to see for the boat and our preparation is : https://www.facebook.com/ecscout2016/?ref=profile .We plan to flip the boat tomorrow and practice righting it and re-boarding it tomorrow or Sunday).

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to first aid kit:
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=285839#285839
This is for a weekend to a month, near shore, where you can have medical help in 12 hours or less.

It was asked if the ditch bag floats--it has some air trapped in the water tight bag. It would float for a few minutes. I have one of the float cushions next to the helm, and I would grab it--There is a strap which allows me to carry this bag over the shoulder--so it should stay next; to me. We take it in the dinghy a lot--no problem.

Fire--we have 4 fire extinguishers: port Lazarette, under galley, under port front dinette seat, and by the companionway.

Sinking: Toilet bowl wax ring is a temporary solution. As Mark says, cushions and a telescoping boat hook is one way. But it will take quite a blow to hole a C Dory bottom. Lots out boats out there--and I believe only two sank--one was in the rocks/surf. The other, apparently was swamped by a wave over the stern. (Like the foot ball players, who were trying to retrieve a stuck anchor, by tying it to the stern create and giving full power--good way to sink a boat!

No bottom thru hulls. In larger boats, we carried the "plugs", underwater epoxy, plywood, collision mat, etc.

Where to put things on a C Dory? Life raft on cabin top. All of our stuff, fits in the boat--you have to move things to get in the bunk at night some times....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this site.

If you have two weeks, a Wilderness First Responder course is well worth the time and money.
Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a lot of good info. When everyone refers to thru hull ,what would they be on our C-Dorys and or ventures? Dave said the thru hulls were glassed over on my boat. If you had a transducer that was drilled thru,or drain plug ,is the only things I can think of. Trim Tab bolts?
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the C Dories have a thru hull fitting for water pickup--both the raw water wash down system and on some boats the head water intake. Some boats this was one fitting. Some boats have a live well, and a thru hull for that intake. You might also call the drain a thru hull, but not trim tab supports or ransom bolts etc.

There are also thru hulls for head discharge, bilge pump discharge, vents, the live well discharge, sink drain, stove or heater exhaust, etc above the water line, but can be submerged under some conditions. It is rare for the C Dory to have a transducer thru hull; most are transom mounted.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refer to my Sink drain, bilge pump ports, heater exhaust port, stove vent, bilge plug, fuel vents and anchor locker drain, all as Thru-Hulls. They all are holes in the hull that could allow water in if the boat got low enough in the water. Perhaps I am wrong on my definition? Colby
Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarification ,now that I think of it my live well is disconnected. Never thought about the other holes above the waterline. I heard the term so many times ,was curious what it refered to. Guess boats with a prop shaft ,could become an issue with a failure of some type.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the more common causes of sinking in a slip, is failure around the prop shaft,--which can fail in several ways. Stuffing box, packing gland, bellows from shaft log to stuffing box, and the shaft coming out, after the coupling fastening fails (usually underway).
Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This past season a boat sank at their slip , never did hear why. Sure looks strange with it resting on the bottom,the docks get walked everyday by Park ranger in morning. Somehow during the night it sank. I forget if it was a rainy weekend,but I was sure to have bilge pumps on auto the entire season.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Patrick wrote:
This past season a boat sank at their slip , never did hear why. Sure looks strange with it resting on the bottom,the docks get walked everyday by Park ranger in morning. Somehow during the night it sank. I forget if it was a rainy weekend,but I was sure to have bilge pumps on auto the entire season.

Having the bilge pumps on auto is good if there is an unlimited power supply to them, be it solar charging or through a shore power set up of some kind.

A mooring cover over the cockpit or camper back will also help decrease the amount of access rainwater has to get onboard.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a conversation today, with an active duty Coastie, and his first question was "Do you have an EPIRB on board?". Approximate best time to my worst case scenario is 30 - 40 minutes. That's a long time to be in 45 degree water.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: