The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

EPRIB and PLB
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: EPRIB and PLB Reply with quote

Hi all,

I"m starting to go further offshore in my 22 and thinking more and more about safety. I don't have any plans to go further than say roughly 30 miles off shore. My reasons are generally in chase of fish. I"m in California SF BAY area and go to the Farralone islands, Cordell banks, and have also driven down south and launched there for Catalina island. The channel islands are also in the future. I would like to not break the bank but have a good EPRIB or PLB.

If possible I would also like to use this for back country backpacking which I do very rarely. I DO not want to compromise the quality of the device for its main use of ocean boating for a rare event of backpacking.

I understand the EPRIB is registered to the vessel and not the person, and also that the PLB needs a waterproof case floatable case, and can only be activated manually which I prefer anyway. Besides that and the 48 hour battery life is there really any advantages of the EPRIB over the PLB?

Any products/advice for my uses?

Thanks
CDory23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick search and this seems to fit my needs.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/acr-electronics--resqlink-buoyant-personal-locator-beacon--13381207
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just purchased a PLB ResQlink ACR. Weighs 5.4 ounces,Floats,5watts power. 66 channel gps receiver aquires faster from cold start,automatic strobe,406 MHz,gps lat and lon and 121.5 mhz. Feel better to have something ,before next season on Lake Erie will fill a ditch bag and get a second PLB or E-Pirb.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPIRBs are generally a little "louder" than PLBs.

Either will be better in a true emergency than a SPOT, Delorme InReach, etc etc, although with the Delorme you can tell if your message was received and also communicate with rescuers.

I believe the Delorme is indispensable in terms of basic gear and workplace productivity when out in remote places on land or water for work. When it's just me and the water, I use a PLB. I don't think an EPIRB is going to be a good backpacking buddy. You nailed the issues with using a PLB as a dedicated marine device, but also found the one that floats.

I think you are set. Just keep up on the registration and batteries.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same PLB model as Larry, Its the + model to have the floating ability and it is easy to carry and doesn't break the bank. I use it in the boat plus backpacking/kayaking plus some more remote or solo motorcycle trips as well.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your purpose the "ResQLink + is an excellent choice. I believe it is the smallest and lightest.

I had never "heard" that an EPRIB was "Louder" that would imply a higher power transmitter. The PLB and full size EPRIB are both 5 watts.

I would add in one of the floating VHF hand held, with DSC and GPS. This allows close by boats to respond. The beacons are only to Satellite, and SAR craft (the 121.5 beacon).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CDory23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the responses. I am going to purchase the ResQlink +
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smallest PLB is the Ocean Signal PLB1

http://oceansignal.com/products/plb1/
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are your plans for life jackets, raft and survivor suit?
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to have an unpleasant list of priorities when it comes to safety equipment on board. Most of my morbid ideas come from stories that were related to me rather than my own experiences (thankfully). Here is one of them based on a friend's experience commercial fishing off of the Oregon coast. He had an EPIRB when his boat sank, but that's not what saved his life.

If you and a new fancy floating EPIRB with lithium ion batteries are tossed into the open ocean, guess which one will last longer? Which will still be "peeping" after 4 hours? My guess is that you would prefer to be alive when you are located. Mustang used to sell a float coat with a crotch strap. Sort of half of a survival suit, but probably good for 10 or 12 hours in your "southern" waters, maybe more. Not a pleasant thought, but I'd be sure and have one (or more) on board before I thought about buying an EPIRB.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mustang still makes the float coat with the neoprene "beaver tail" like the crotch piece on a wet suit. That piece keeps the jacket down and water from pumping through it. Keeping the flotation that low on the body, your shoulders are clear of the water even though it only has 15# of flotation (USCG III). It also has an insulated orange hood with reflective tape.

http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-ThermoSystem-Plus-Flotation-Coat/dp/B003P8MLX8

Then if the EPIRB works (Electronic Position Indicator for the Recovery of Bodies), the recovered bodies are more likely to be alive.

Makes a nice Christmas gift.

Mark Xmas Naughty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are really interested in survival, then consider a full immersion suit, such as by Sterns or Mustang. They are less expensive than a float coat mentioned above, and will give you a considerably better chance of survival. All of us hope that with an EPRIB, or PLB, we would be picked up in a matter minutes. The reality is that 30 minutes is a fast response time, and more typical of an hour--assuming that all is in order. (You have the PLB / EPRIB< it is fired off correctly, that Sar Sat makes the SAR contact immediately on reception, Local SAR is able to make the contacts, confirm that this EPRIB is on board your boat, you are in the location on your float plan left with the contact, you named in your registration, and the SAR has assets (Chopper or rescue vessel. free to respond.

A strobe or high intensity light is also essential as part of the rescue gear. We like the combination Firefly plus, by ACR.

Especially if you are Northern Waters, what type raft you have may also make a substantial difference in survival. (Since we do mostly cruising, we depend on an inflated dinghy as our life raft., along with the content of the ditch bag. Some would differ with that approach, and suggest a full offshore raft)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first came to Sequim and started thinking of boating in the area (think the Strait of Juan de Fuca) and also down in the Puget Sound, south from Point Wilson (and it's own nightmarish stories), looking at a"lifeboat" was not far back in my head. One of my then considerations was the Portland Pudgy, a "tupperware" boat with a US Coast Guard certification as a life boat. The reality of that was the 128 pounds, included in the package, and not only the thought of getting it up onto the cabin top, but having it up there where 75% of my boating destinations put me in a beam sea situation.

From Dr Bob:
Quote:
"Especially if you are Northern Waters, what type raft you have may also make a substantial difference in survival. (Since we do mostly cruising, we depend on an inflated dinghy as our life raft., along with the content of the ditch bag. Some would differ with that approach, and suggest a full offshore raft)

At that time, about 10 years ago, the Alaskan was the most touted, and highly favored inflatable of the C-dory set. It is a "doughnut boat" == the inflated tubes to completely around the floor, encircling the riders. Seemed like a good idea to me, It has Gator Hide on the bottom to protect from the rocks and sharp things on them, It's proven tough, and it is light but adequately sized for 2 not so small people and a dog or so.

That has been my inflatable for several years. It does not row like a whery, and it won't plane like a flats boat, but it will take a wave from any direction, and keep floating, even when filled to the brim with water. Worked for me. Should things go deep six all of a sudden, it's up there and ready to go in seconds, Dive in, get down on the floor and call the Coast Guard.

Seems over time, the thought in the pub here has changed some. We want better directional stability, we want to go faster, or we want something else, and the thoughts are more "tender" leaning than lifeboat. I guess it all depends on your planned, preferred and usual use.

My Alaskan, works as a tender, and is rowable directionally, could take a small OB and fits on the top easily. It cost about what 2 Mustang survival suits would, and unless I were to wear them all the time, I think the Alaskan is as easily available, would keep me out of the Big ocean, and be every bit as visible. Think I'll stay with it.

Now back to the original programming.

Marks definition of an EPIRB may be close to the truth, but it is not the usually accepted designation (Electronic Position Indicating Radio Beacon).

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Mustang gear was their "anti-exposure" coveralls. A little warm for southern waters (they had zippers in the armpits) and not a complete survival suit, but extremely comfortable for winter salmon fishing in the rain or snow. I used them everywhere from SF to Nome. I wore mine out after several decades. Money well spent.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-MSTDFSOBXS/mustang-survival-deluxe-anti-exposure-flotation-suit?gclid=CN7gscy8ickCFcNcfgodYosIEg&kwid=productads-plaid^18283950120-sku^MSTDFSOBXS@ADL4LP-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^56051352613

The idea of getting an inflatable life raft that has enough room for 2 people and a dog leads me to the rest of my friend's story. He had his dog on board and an inflatable life jacket. When they both ended up in the water that night, the terrorized dog kept trying to climb on top of him, scratching his face and tearing at the life jacket. He simply told me that first he had to kill his dog. I didn't ask for details, but dogs and inflatable life saving equipment are not a good mix.

Mark
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 68 lb 9'2" inflatable, with an air floor--heavier than some we have owned--and a disadvantage, but we can get in on the roof, with the davit fairly easily. The air floor does insulate, from cold water, and would be an advantage in those circumstances. We like that the dinghy can handle up to 9.9 hp, and thus can plane with both of us. (Or with a 3.5 hp plane with one of use, or with the Torpedo, run with no gas, for about 10 to 15 miles). Not ideal, but enough to save a life in the PNW.

Harvey's choice is an excellent compromise.

I have always (except in racing sailboats where the life raft was mandated) used a dinghy with a CO2 bottle, for rapid inflation, rather than the more expensive "life Raft" (which required frequent certification). One could argue that the Life raft is more purpose built, and perhaps a little safer. On our larger boats we either carried a larger hard dinghy, filled with inflatable fenders, (which could be used to make a floatation collar), plus a large inflatable, or a RIB, with a second smaller, lighter inflatable. We had Sunbrella covers made for each of these rafts/inflatables. In today's world, vacuum packed life rafts are lighter and last longer than older products.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: