View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave

City/Region: Riverview
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Fast Find PLB. One day about7 years ago I was about 1/2 mile off shore between Ft Desoto and Egmont Key, I could not get cell service. That day on the way home I bought an Icom marine radio an a Fast Find PLB. I put together a ditch bag. I won't get on any boat without my own ditch bag.

I live where the water is warm. People talk about the definition of "Off Shore". My definition of off shore is the distance I can swim easily and quickly on any given day. It doesn't have to be very far to be life threatening.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably as good a time as any to post photos of our ditch bag, for many may not have seen it. There have been updates, and a few items are not in the photo

Starting in the Left upper corner: Gerber Multi tool; Vinyl international orange distress flag (also may give shelter); Pencil; 4 Orion Skyblazer Aerial signals; paracord; bic lighter; crescent wrench; ViseGrips, small; Smoke pot Signal (better day); Mylar space blanket; writing pad; VHF radio (AA batteries--has been upgraded to GPS/DSC); hand held compass; Whistle; ACR Firefly Strobe/flashlight; Signal Mirror; fishing kit; 12 spare AA batteries; First aid kit (Kerlex, steristrips, Telfa pads, gauze pads, 36" square muslin, band aids, sterile saline wipes, alcohol wipes, Triple antibiotic ointment)
Not shown: Small Air horn, Swiss Army knife: (includes traditional, plus magnifying glass, file, saw, fish scaler, Scissors, phillips and several flat head screwdrivers, ); GPS (Colorado 400 C (includes all US Coast line charts, and select topo maps of lake areas)I Also have added a 300 /30/strobe lumen LED flashlight (waterproof),

This reminded me to replace all batteries at end of season, to check all gear, and put small amounts of Corrosion Block on all metal parts.

Your choices may vary, but this kit is based on our experiences and needs. We also throw a couple of bottles of water, and some high energy bars in a bag in the dink when we go for an "excursion".

This all fits in this waterproof bag:

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Rain

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Glory
Photos: C-Glory
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Dumb question alert Reply with quote

Does the survival suit qualify as a PFD?

I would have a difficult time finding the correct fit for the Mustang Survival Suit. Chest size requires a large. waist size requires a medium and inseam length requires a 2XL!
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to the question asked what I'm I doing about Life Raft/life jackets/survival suit etc.....I have put a lot of thought in to it and in the decision making process currently.

Survival suit: Realistically I"m not going to be wearing a heavy jacket type at any time. If the weather is cold at all I have the Wallas going inside the cabin. Its still an option to leave out and grab as such you would do a lifejacket but in a real emergency I would need it to already be on. A full survival suit isn't in consideration for me at this time for the pure time factor it would take to put on.

Life jackets: I currently have high quality stowed vests but plan to buy high quality inflatable vests that will be worn at all times while boating offshore. One of them will have the new PLB clipped to it, ready to go. Also looking for a small handheld vhf that will be most likely clipped to the other. (I'm always out with at least one other person)

Life raft: This is something I"m going back and forth on. I understand the huge quality differences between rafts and a main feature of multiple air reservoirs. Still with that knowledge, I am seriously considering getting the Revere Coastal Compact:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/revere-supply--4-person-coastal-compact-life-raft--9941097

I understand this raft is a single air reservoir which is a disadvantage and I grind my teeth while I say this but I love the small stowage space needed. The 22's can fill up fast with stuff!

For my use of going maximum of 30miles out on calm days with generally other boats around targeting the same fish as I, I feel this is a safe practice.

Safety is a very personal thing, but I'm open to any constructive criticism on my plans. If there is a better raft that isn't a huge space hog I may be open to it. I've been boating my whole life, but still relatively new to near offshore boating.

I do like Bobs C02 cartridge dinghy plan, but don't see that being practical for me. The dinghy is generally left at home on most of my fishing day trips. The 22's really can fill up fast with stuff.

We all hope these are items that we never have to use and just being safety minded is a huge preventative. I am always checking weather/ocean conditions. The boat/motors are always well maintained, and my back is never turned to the ocean. I generally don't go out in the fog/night and always aware of charts. Still even the most safety minded person could have an incident and I hope I"m prepared for that as well as the rest of you.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Dumb question alert Reply with quote

Rain wrote:
Does the survival suit qualify as a PFD?

Yes, usually as a USCG type III/V. The different USCG types have a lot to do with whether they keep your face above water if you are unconscious. Most of the time it is described as whether you enter the water conscious, but there are more grisly details to consider. As hypothermia kicks in, whether you can consciously keep your head out of the water becomes important in the last several hours (in warm water). For that reason, some of the May West type PFDs that are stored in a locker get USCG type I certification and some of the real world flotation gear worn every day by cold water fishermen is not certified. Google "Stormy Seas" for a brand that has decided that wearability is more important than USGS certification.

An actual "survival" suit has enclosed feet and hands. It make you look like Gumby. I had training when a crew member as to how to get them on. Once on, you are not going to use the radio, grab a ditty bag, run down the deck, etc. It's on and overboard. The upside is that there are reports of crew members saying that they were actually more comfortable once they donned the suits and abandoned ship.

A Mustang "exposure" suit is what I had. I may be talking myself into getting another one (I haven't tried the Stearns version). Mine was surprisingly easy to get on quickly. The entire lining was a slippery nylon material. The legs were over-sized and had zippers from the knee down so that it was easy to put on even when wearing rubber boots. Much easier than a survival suit. It also had large zippers in the armpits so that wearing it in moderate weather was okay. I used mine basically like coveralls. It was actually grease, diesel, and grime that killed it.

The flotation amount is less than type I and II, but (assuming that you are conscious) because that flotation starts at your ankles, it is mostly submerged and provides a greater amount of "lift" than does a May West jacket that is floating around your ears. I only tried it once (in Lake Washington) and it was similar to wearing a wetsuit except that swimming would be difficult.

This thread has brought up another expenditure that comes before an EPIRB, RADAR, and other zippy toys. An honest first aid kit. What should it include? Time to think gruesome again.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco, it may be for your needs that a serious Goretex dry suit or perhaps one made of nonbreathable fabric is a cost effective substitute for the gumby suit. You can layer up underneath as conditions demand, select footwear and gloves to fit the situation, and add headgear as well. The latter might require a neoprene hood. Mobility is good in these suits, and with removable gloves, when you need finger dexterity, you can have it.

Goretex is really only useful when at least half your body is out of the water. When fully immersed, it will not pass water vapor anyway, so the nonbreathable suits are worth considering, running 2/3rds the cost or so.

The big drawback is the care and time needed to don the rig. On the other hand, when boating in "conditions," you can wear it from the start, over insulating your lower body, and adjusting the top insulation as needed, with an easy time adding insulation on your upper body when exiting the boat is imminent. Racing yachties know this arangement well. They might have some specific suggestions for you.

And, no, Goretex is not impervious to grease and oil. Nothing you could wesr comfortably is.

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would file a float plan, and years ago, some football players were fishing far off the Tampa Florida and had a bad outcome.

It changed my boating perspective and you and others might be in a rescue event and need items for a successful recovery

just saying

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Notes.

Bob, You might think of adding a pair of "Hunter Orange" beanie caps, touques or watchcaps, what ever you call them, for increased visability.

CDory23, Get and WEAR a high quality inflatable suspender PFD from the time you get on the boat or on the dock. They are comfortable, and where you need it, when you need it. Nobody plans to fall into the water off the dock, or out of the boat. AND when that happens, there is no time to "grab the PFD"

Rain, Maybe you and I should get together on the Pants for teh survival suit. I always have about 10' left over at the bottom Laughing

We have come a bit past the EPIRB/PLB start but this is important stuff here. Safety should always be at the top of our list.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Rain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Survival suit sizes Reply with quote

Ha, ha! My inseam is only 34", but that requires a 2X! 33" waist in a medium, and 43" chest is a large!

There is a lot of prep for getting safely onto the water. I need to figure out safety equipment, tool kit, backup systems, the best electronics, etc. I am hoping to get good input and recommendations from you C-Brat experts.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDory23,
I'm currently preparing and training for an expedition sailing race, to be held in March (Watertribe.org the Everglades Challenge). As part of this event, you have to take care of yourself, for at least a week. The safety list is long...
I purchased a breathable drysuit, with a neoprene collar, vice a latex collar. This type of suit is a compromise, at it is not designed as a dive suit, but is better suited for open weather (on the deck of a boat) activity. It's main buyers are kayakers and sailors. I also purchased a ACR 2881 ResQLink+ PLB, as others on this thread have discussed. I purchased mine from thegpsstore.com and currently, ACR is offering a $50 rebate. You can't request the rebate until you register the device with NOAA (they are the Federal agency that all of these type of devices are registered through...).
My lifejacket is kayak style, bright orange color and has lots of pockets to contain a knife, VHF radio, cell phone, whistle, etc. that the PLB and the strobe (also a device from ACR), are attached to the exterior of the lifejacket.
I do own several very nice inflatable vest and use them for various boating activities, but do tend to wear my kayak style life jackets for sailing in the winter, as it helps retain body heat. In my past job, I had to demonstrate that I could use an inflatable, by wearing it and jumping into the water to see how it functioned. The inflatable is VERY loud when the cartridge goes off and once inflated, the lifejacket fits you like the Michelin man and you are almost immobile (manual inflation tube in the devise, once open can let air escape). By letting some air out, you can adjust it so that you can swim, but swimming with it inflated is difficult. We also had to demonstrate the launching and boarding of liferafts in open water and this is another story in itself...
Of course be safe and check all of your gear (and boat) at each use.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Rain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Adventure Reply with quote

Sounds like you are in for an adventure. At least you have some time to prepare.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
For your purpose the "ResQLink + is an excellent choice. I believe it is the smallest and lightest.

I had never "heard" that an EPRIB was "Louder" that would imply a higher power transmitter. The PLB and full size EPRIB are both 5 watts.

I would add in one of the floating VHF hand held, with DSC and GPS. This allows close by boats to respond. The beacons are only to Satellite, and SAR craft (the 121.5 beacon).

Yup, that's why I put it in quotes. The specs are the same, however different USCG and other SAR people who work on the other end of these signals, and come get you when you activated either an EPIRB or PLB indicate they get better signals from EPIRBs than PLBs.

When I've pointed out the same output on both devices, usually they shrug and don't really care why.

My theory is that the EPIRB antenna is generally out of the water without any effort expended (because it floats that way) whereas if you are overboard, holding a PLB with cold hands, the antenna goes where you put it and is not really staying out of the water the whole time, and when it goes under it attenuates the signal making it quieter.

So, while they are rated at the same output, in real-world conditions, the rescuers I've talked to indicate a slight advantage to the EPIRB in that regard. However they will go on to tell you it's the EPIRBS that release and turn on automatically when submerged that are the most beneficial: if you are incapacitated it gets help for you.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question alert Reply with quote

Quote:
"Marco Flamingo"
This thread has brought up another expenditure that comes before an EPIRB, RADAR, and other zippy toys. An honest first aid kit. What should it include? Time to think gruesome again.
Mark

Mark brought up a huge subject, and I will start another thread on this, and link it to this thread.

Steve, Are you using a Kayak for the Watertribe race? We may drive down to see the start and finish. Sounds as if you are preparing well!

The idea of survival suits, and what to wear is interesting, and although we have spent a number of months= years in the Alaskan and North Sea Waters, we have been in areas, where very cold water temps give limited life in you fall in, without some heat conserving "clothing". Despite its down sides, the Gumby suit is probably the best for survival, but the limits have been of cancern for us, plus where do you stow these? We have always carried a 1/8" vest/hood combination, which is from our SCUBA diving days, and the can be slipped on fairly quickly or warn between an undershirt and the first layer of outer wear. It is especially important to protect the head and neck because of the very high blood flow (heat loss) from that area. We also had either one or two piece wet suits, which we kept in the "Life raft" dinghy.

One night I was solo, and thought I would be run down by a passenger liner which was headed straight for me. I had attempted to reach the bridge of the ship--to no avail. I then called the nearest CG station, and quickly explained the situation--no water proof VHF hand held then...If I didn't get back to them, in 5 minutes, start a search, and gave my bearings to enough shore side objects that they could triangulate my position. (Long before GPS or Loran C). I put on my thin upper vest/hood, my full 1/4" wet suit, and had several life jackets, plus a waterproof flash light and strobe light--(Also weight belt, incase I had to go down beneath the ship, If I survived the collision--the weight belt would be dropped. (It was a situation, where you didn't know which way to turn--hoped that the ship saw you, and keeping your course and speed, they would miss. Fortunately they missed by about 100 feet--(less than the beam of the ship!)--and I had to deal with the wake--but I was in a 35 foot, well found offshore sailboat, so just a little tossing around--a few curses, and I called the CG back, to say I was still alive.

So what is going to sink a C Dory? A collision is right up there! A huge wave which breaks over the stern, fills the boat with water, and capsizes it?
Possible...
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading this thread with interest. With the heater now installed in my CD-22, I hope to continue boating a little later into and early in the season. Some of this boating will likely be on Lake Michigan or Superior. I have a ditch bag (Handheld VHF, flares, Personal LED lights, and looking seriously at that PLB linked to earlier; ie, stuff if the boat sinks and I have to go overboard, will help save my ass), and various types of PFD's. In colder water and solo, I will very likely have my inflatable PFD on when I'm on the water. While I do have some inflatable Kayaks (great in calm protected waters), they are more for summer fun, and not kept on the boat. I'm not really interested in anything that has to be stored on the roof. I read about survival suits with much interest. So here's the thing. Where the heck is everybody storing all this emergency stuff they speak of on a 22' C-Dory? And what kind of survival equipment are others here in the midwest that continue boating in the colder season keeping on their 22' boats? Colby
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also have items in case you are towed in by boater or you rescue them and their boat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: