The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Two Bears is home again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Two Bears is home again. Reply with quote

Two Bears is home again after being “on the road” for 83 days and 7,710 road miles.

From mid August to early September we spent 21 days boating down the Mississippi River from St Paul, MN to the Meet in the Middle Gathering in Alton, IL which was 646 River Miles but just 609 GPS miles. This is a classic traverse of middle America and we wonder why so few do it. It was difficult finding information about the trip as most information is about the towns along the river when visited by auto.

In late September to mid October we spent 19 days boating up the Cumberland River from Kentucky Dam Lake to river mile 219 (below Cordell Hull dam) and back, or a total of 514 river miles but 542 GPS miles. On this trip we finally figured out that the Auto Pilot was draining the house battery, disconnected it and felt more comfortable in anchoring out.

In the Florida Gulf waters we had planned to spend a week behind the various barrier islands but an east wind made the waters uncomfortable, so we launched Two Bears at a marina in Carrabelle, FL and used it as a base to take care of chores like getting the drivers window in the truck fixed, laundry, a visit to a State Park to see Manatees, and general sight seeing.

It took us 10 days to travel the 3,195 miles from the end of the Apalachicola Gathering to home. Google maps says it 2,615 miles so we must have diverted a bit. The 10 days included two layover days, one to allow the remnants of Hurricane Patricia to pass us outside of Mobile, AL; and the 2nd to visit the Sid Richardson Museum in Fort Worth to view the collection of Charlie Russell and Fredrick Remington paintings. It also included two 500 mile plus days and a visit to the St George, Utah home of Penny's quilting wholesale thread supplier.

For the 12 weeks away from home we “boater homed” in Two Bears all but four nights: three nights for the shuttle between St Paul and Alton, IL; and then the final night before home in southern Idaho when this white stuff kept coming from the sky and making the ground white and slippery so we took a motel room and were quite warm and comfy.

We are making a list of our Bricks and Diamonds. Bricks are those things we brought expecting to use a lot and end up with little use. Diamonds are those things brought with little expectation, but ended up with a lot of use. This trip seems to have produced many more bricks than diamonds. Perhaps we have grown over confident, and we need to be more hard nosed in leaving things behind and practicing Bill & Els mantra: simplify – simplify.

Overall, we had a great time. We enjoy the many small towns we have visited because their history is easier to understand and the human actions and in-actions that make their history are more evident. We have tried to tie our trips to a C-brat gathering. We have attended enough of these events that now it feels good meeting old friends and new friends. Boating in different parts of the country can be a bit trying as common practices in one area are unknown in another. C-brats have helped us get through those differences and have really helped expand our boating world.

We are a bit tired after all this road trip stuff and are planning to drive less in 2016. -If anyone knows a quick way across Texas, New Mexico & Arizona say so as all the routes we have tried are boring and hard on the butt to sit thru. At this time our plans include Puget Sound & the BC coast in 2016, and then return to the east in March 2017 for St Johns River/ Huntoon State Park Gathering and then up the Atlantic Seaboard much like Casey and Mary did this year in “Desert First.”

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That trip was awesome, AKA wonderful. Glad you took it, and hope you enjoy thinking about it.

Boris
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great combination of trips. Look forward to the day we can do something similar.
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You two have certainly done a great deal since that introductory excursion on Dwhorshak Reservoir. I need to take a trip with you to learn now. Ken
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck and Penny,

Sounds like a wonderful trip. What a great time. Good to hear you are headed back out west for next summer. Look forward to seeing you again. Get some rest, and be careful, that white stuff can give you fever. CBRATS mighjt help stave that off.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm envious. But hope to do a little more C-Dory traveling in the future! Colby
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a great trip.....except for all that driving! If you have not read it, you might really enjoy Jonathan Raban's Old Glory: An American Voyage. While not in a C-Dory, the book is about Raban's 1979 trip down the Mississippi from St. Paul to New Orleans and beyond in a 16' open boat with a 15 hp motor. I would say the book rivals River Horse as a description of a cross-section of America. I highly recommend it.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOOSE wrote:
It sounds like a great trip.....except for all that driving! If you have not read it, you might really enjoy Jonathan Raban's Old Glory: An American Voyage. While not in a C-Dory, the book is about Raban's 1979 trip down the Mississippi from St. Paul to New Orleans and beyond in a 16' open boat with a 15 hp motor. I would say the book rivals River Horse as a description of a cross-section of America. I highly recommend it.

What about "Only in America" by Morassou? I was thinking of buying that book....Sounds amazing.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip guys. Interesting country hope to see you summer '16
George and Carolyn
Miafun1

City/Region: Illinois
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lake Effect
Photos: Lake Effect
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Tripping Reply with quote

Chuck and Penny,
It was great finally meeting you at the Meet in the Middle Gathering!
We appreciate reading of your travels and admire your sense of adventure.
Wishing you all the best,
Dan & Peggy
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOOSE wrote:

Just ordered this book as I am interested in a cruise of that nature in the future. I just recently read Raban's book, Journey to Juneau. Has some PNW history interest, considerable info about Vancouver's early explorations.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered Old Glory: An American Voyage used on Amazon for less than $5 delivered....could not find it on Kindle but I will pass it on once I have finished it.... good cockpit reading material...

I love cross country touring....even Texas entertains me driving that long road across...

Joel
SEA3PO
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip. So glad it worked out well for you, and how encouraging it is for the others to consider what you just enjoyed. Best to you. El and Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: