colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey, I'm not sure what a "realignment" is either. My radio was only transmitting in low wattage when it did the DSC test. They updated the firmware to fix that, but then said that it was not waiting for acknowledgement, so they would have the engineers reprogram the software and then would install that update when they got it. Perhaps when they flashed the new firmware, it requires some kind of "reset" of the radio.... Either way, I just hope it works as it's suppose to when I get it back in the boat! Colby
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:

Gadgets don't protect you. On the water, we increase our risk. Then, why
do we do it? Because we are alive and it is how we choose to live.

Richard Bode, in First You Have to Row a Little Boat, said it best:

"...we live in perilous times. Even in my most secure moments, when I lie in
bed with loving arms around me, I know that this is so. I try to persuade myself
than I'm safer than my Stone Age ancestors because my world has a civilized
veneer, but the truth is that I'm no more protected in my clapboard house
(or boat) than they were in their cave.

The voice of an ancient forebear rises within me and issues a warning cry. The
cougar still lurks above my head; the barbarian horde still threatens my town.
I put my trust in the electronic appliances of my age; surely they will defend me
against the pestilence that rises without warning and spreads like locusts across
the land. But once again I know I am allowing myself to be deceived. The only
security I know, that I will ever know, lies in me. And so I sit high on the windward
deck and tell myself to watch the sail, feel the wind, and beware the jibe."

Aye.

Sorry if this direct response might be interpreted as not following the "be nice" rule... but, what a crock. A wise mariner uses everything available to increase the safety of any trip. On a basic small boat on a small lake, that might be a cell phone (plenty of lakes out there where VHF simply isn't used). If you HAVE those "electronic appliances" (VHF, chartplotter, depth finder, radar, AIS, SPOT device, autopilot, EPIRB, PLB, cell phone, iPad, computer, etc, etc), should you NOT use them so you won't be "deceived"??

Pretty sure you didn't make that post via smoke signals - an "electronic appliance" was used. Most of us have plenty of "electronic appliances" that we use every day. This bravado and quoting someone else (whether it is a grandma or an author) isn't indicative of thinking for yourself. And, as usual, doesn't add anything to the topic being discussed.

If I were between a rock and a hard place, I would want every "electronic appliance" that might be of use, AND Dr. Bob by my side. He has walked the walk and may be the most thoughtful and capable mariner on this forum. And by "may be," I mean: he is.

What possible useful information was imparted with that post?? YOU are listening to an author who passed away before the SPOT device was a thing?**

Your jabs at Dr. Bob and others who do share useful information are tiresome.

I am guessing, if you do actually take your boat out, if you hit something in the water and the boat was going down, you would be ELATED to have every "electronic appliance" at your disposal to aid in your recovery.

I certainly don't espouse being unprepared, but to not use any/all available resources because you are a tough, self-rescuing kinda guy is foolhardy at best, and hypocritical with your use of an "electronic appliance" to impart your wisdom here.

Feel free to tell us the error of my ways, but this will be the last time I read or respond to your words here.

AYE.

** Richard Bode worked at McGraw Hill and was editorial director and chief speechwriter at Burston-Marsteller. As a freelance writer, he contributed to "Reader's Digest," "Good Housekeeping," "Sail, Sports Illustrated." He is also the author of Blue Sloop at Dawn (1979), which was excerpted in "Sports Illustrated," "Newsday Sunday Magazine," and Sail, and wrote the award-winning essay "To Climb the Wind." He died in 2003 of liver cancer.

--------------------

On edit: Maybe I haven't given Foggy a chance? Why don't you tell us all, in your own words (not a quote from an author or a grandparent), how you were in a dire situation and self-rescued.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo, Jim and well stated. Thank you.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a rant like that from a few of my words and a quote from one
of my favorite passages. Sorry you didn't like it.

Simply put, it is another point of view: Bob's critique on a tragedy showed
lots of gadgets not helping perhaps due to poor planning, questionable
judgement, not thorough checks before departure, maybe bad luck thrown
in too. It also points out, some need all the latest and greatest gadgets and
don't have a clue how to use them properly.

Aye.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Configuring the DSC Function of a VHF is the first thing I do after testing the antenna when installing a new radio (5 so far). I can't even imagine not making ready such a clever and simple safety feature in the best interest of my boating companions.

Any Brat struggling with this should put a post out on the site for help and expect to get it. I really think we could even form a simple tech support gang (where Brats are thick) and go out to boats to help on occasion.

I also use a couple of Standard Horizon radios in the boat and while I don't test my DSC function with rigid regularity, I run the radio like its going out of style. This is while a PLB is literally attached to my PFD. I may act pretty lax in person but it's only because I have done the work to put myself in that relaxed place.

As a gadget instructor, I can attest that many folks are not very slick with their tech tidbits, but they can still get lucky with them if they have them in hand. Plus, the amount of luck needed keeps going down.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a believer in having and using whatever adjuncts I can have or make available. As some of you are aware, I am a FIRM believer in redundancy, to the point the guys at Rodgers Marine think I go overboard, which I have absolutely no intention of doing, HOWEVER if that situation were to come up, or down, whichever the case, I want to know that I have made every attempt to have what works and know it is working.

To that end, I do a radio check on each radio at launching. (AND NO that is not on 16,*) and I have a handheld on my PFD, the radar is on and AIS is on, the weather has been checked and the PFD is on. The float plan has been opened and a call to confirm a destination has been made.

We are boating in a hostile environment. That needs to be remembered. We do it every day, and nothing bad happens, but believe me, it only takes once, one little thing to turn your world upside down. It's best to try and make sure that little thing is not going to happen today, on this ride, ever.

* In some areas there are automated radio check stations. VHF channel 28 is commonly used for them. USCG will answer a radio check on 22, Canada on 82. Know where to go to get your information for your area.

This has been a good learning spot for me. I need to learn to do the DSC tests and include that into my regularly practiced procedures. I think it is always a good practice to think of safety before you need it.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have backups for backups. lol. (Guess that's the airline pilot in me...) Regarding Foggy's post, I'm sure he is more than capable for sticking up for him self, but I do want to share that while I find he can be a bit abrasive at times (maybe just a cranky old sailor? Rolling Eyes ), I did not take his comments as derogatory. I did take them to mean that we can have all the gadgets in the world, but we are still on our own. Reqarding Bob's comments, I enjoy reading much of what he writes also, especially when I increase my knowledge from his experience; however, I was a bit put off by his comment: Interesting, but not worth sending the radio back to SH just for that. I wonder what else is in Version 3.03 vs version 1.00? Mr. Green Personally, I wonder if one is not willing to insure their equipment works properly, why bother with having it in the first place? (Same goes for not using your electronics to their fullest extent in regards to safety) But, alas, if everything else appears to work properly, or at least the functions we use, I can see Bob's point too. Ok, done moderating! Wink Colby
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see there's a few other anal retentive safety guys around who also have backups for the backups. In my case this is both for "excess" safety and due to the fact that I often plan to fish for a week (or more) and I leave my boat far away from home and good access to services for most of the summer. If something electronic on the boat fails, I don't want to have to fix it prior to the next trip or in the middle of this one. Hence I have:

2 fixed mount chart plotters + my ipad and my phone (both running Navionics). Both chart plotters have their own transducers.

I have two fixed mount AIS capable VHF radios. Each one of those is hooked into a separate chart plotter. One has internal GPS for the DSC distress call, the other gets it's position from the plotter. Both have the same MMSI number which was registered with the FCC when I got my ship's radio license.

I have a spare, handheld VHF and a spare handheld garmin chart plotter in my ditch bag (which I keep near the helm).

I have my own PLB and so does my buddy.

I only have one radar dome but I set up the cabling so I can easily switch it between chartplotters if one fails.

I go over the operation of the radios with guests, make them all wear a PFD at all times and show them where the ditch bag and emergency equipment is at. I also show them where the boarding ladder is at (stored on the transom ready to be deployed) and where the heaving bag is at and how to use it. I also show them how to steer and how to kill and start the engines, neutral and forward etc.

I've spent a lot of time getting to know all my fancy electronics and while I could venture offshore without them, I won't. There's no need to do so. I also don't buy arguments that having so much electronics is a "distraction" from using my eyes and ears like a real sailor. My eyes and ears come along too and I instruct guests to serve as additional sets.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
Sorry, that comment about not sending the radio back was NOT directed at you. I apologize, I had not realized you would take it personally. I should have been clearer, that it would not be worth it to me. I happen to have radio test gear, so I know that my radios are putting out full 25 watts, and can also test modulation as well as frequency. The fact that it was low on "Test" mode, would have been fine for me. If it was a genuine safety concern, then SH should have recalled the radios and fixed all of them.

Often we can update many of our electronics, with a SD card, in a card reader--that is not a capability of the VHF radios. I don't know of anyone who sends radios back for update of software...

"Realignment" means twerking the output circuit to get full power being sure that frequencies are spot on. This used to mean turning small pots. I suspect it is now done with software, and a computer. I check antennas for SWR to be sure that they are also working to the full capacity.

As for safety devices--I also have redundancy. Those who were with us at Catalina or Powell this year would tell you that we had life jackets, (belt, inflatable) & ditch bag always in the dinghy (Includes PLB, VHF radio, extra batteries, and survival gear). I want to increase my chances of survival, and do many things perhaps "un-necessary" in some's views, to assure that my boat is safe, and I have gear to repair broken systems. I had considered a Sat Phone for our AK trips--and under many circumstances would have obtained one. (Or a Delorme InReach for text.)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Bob. And thanks for that info on "realignment". The tech did tell me earlier that after they flashed the new firmware, because of the new problem of the radio not waiting for acknowledgement, they would get the engineers to update software to fix that. Still haven't got the radio back, but I understand it was in their shipping dept to send back out. Got my new Webasto Heater today, so I'll be busy installing that too. Smile I'll put the sat phone on hold. I'm still trying to learn how to use my iPhone! Rolling Eyes And besides, where I boat I can still see shore and hardly ever out of VHF range. Mr. Green Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks for the info on "realignment". I remember back in my early CB years having my radio's "peaked and tweaked", essentially maximizing the capability of the radio.

Your preparedness for emergencies is exemplary, and has obviously paid off on several occasions. You set the bar very high. Thank you.

I'm sure it is a rare occcasion, but I did have to send a VHF in for an update, and honestly, I don't know if it was a software or firm ware update, but my Standard Horizon GX 2150 was one of the first to be installed along side an AIS B transceiver, (WatchMate Vision), and it was alarming my own boat as a "dangerous target" based on my MMSI generated proximity, Shocked
not on my docking ability Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several nights ago, we had dinner with another C Dory couple, and the subject came to PLB. We all agreed that it was an essential for hiking, and skiing, as well as even travel by vehicle in remote areas. The question came up, how would a PLB work under snow in an avalanche situation. Conventional wisdom says that the PLB does not work well in an avalanche. I saw one comment about the frequencies being different, as a reason. That is technically not true. The PLB is 406 Mhz, and the Avalanche beacon is 457 Mhz. The penetration thru snow will be close to the same. BUT, the SAR for avalanche only has the 457 Mhz trackers, so a PLB will not be tracked during an Avalanche SAR. But a lost skier or snowmobile rider will be better with the PLB.

Always be sure that any SAR device, be it PLB, Spot, Delorme, or an Avalanche beacon is registered with the proper authorities. There are many false alerts with 406 EPRIBS. They should be triggered only in an emergency, not to test. Many ERPIB's do have a self test and GPS test feature--which vary by model. There is an EPRIB/PLB testing service--(which does allow testing thru the satellites, for a fee). There is another way to test, and some do this using specialized test equipment, with shielding from the satellite, and measuring frequency and power,
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beermanPDX wrote:
If you own at least two radios with DSC and have your MMSI number entered in them, you can test out DSC on your own.

Ex. I have two fixed mount radios and a handheld, all with DSC. They all have my MMSI number. If I send out a position request message to my own MMSI number, the other two radios get it. I can see and verify the messages and coordinates my radios are sending out.

I couldn't find this mentioned elsewhere on C-Brats, but there is a way to test your DSC without having two radios sharing the same MMSI (which I don't know if that is a good idea). The USCG has a special MMSI number that when "dialed" pings you back and tells you that they received your call. That tells you that not only did they receive the transmission but also that the transmission contained your MMSI number so that they could contact you in a real emergency. The test MMSI is 003669999. People who have tested said the response time was between 6 and 10 seconds. Info is here:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=DSCTesting

I was looking for info on my Uniden Solara. I see how to program in my own MMSI, and I now know how to test it, but the owner's manual only vaguely mentions creating a "directory" of other numbers. I'm not sure how to avoid punching in individual MMSIs each time I want to contact another vessel.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
I couldn't find this mentioned elsewhere on C-Brats, but there is a way to test your DSC without having two radios sharing the same MMSI (which I don't know if that is a good idea).

MMSIs are tied to the boat. All radios on board should have the same MMSI number.

Good info about the USCG Test Call MMSI.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
hardee

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAUTION: No HIJACK INTENDED

FYI, for VHF audio call testing: In some areas there are automated VHF testing stations: VHF Channel 28.

Listen for a clear channel. Call "Testing Testing Testing, (Your boat name) and give location ( Sequim Bay -etc.) Then listen for the play back. There will usually be a recorded message, then your audio recording, then another short sponsor message.

Now back to the regular DSC info channel.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: