thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An EPIRB or PLB will have a 121.5 Mhz beacon. This is no longer picked up by Sat SAR satellites, but the chopper and CAP planes will sill home on the 121.5 Mhz beacon. They can also home on any VHF channel, with an RDF. This is a good reason to have the hand held vhf. I am sure that you can home on the channel 70 DSC as well as channel 16.

But, as we found out with our "rescue" at Lake Powell, the park service, and I have seen this with some marine patrols, and Sheriff's offices. They will be listening preferentially to their dispatcher, rather than channel 16. I asked the ranger--and he said he had two park service radios, and although he had the marine VHF--he had to keep listening to the park service frequencies.--and he had ear pieces in for those--thus did not hear the VHF.

Good idea to have a mirror, flare, smoke,sea dye, strobe etc, if you want to get rescued.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a couple of occasions I have had the opportunity to talk to the USCG helo as they pass on patrol. I have hailed them on 16 and had very quick responses. On one occasion I asked if they would mind if I tried the hand held. They oked it and I did a short call, with a good response. They were about 3 miles away at the time, definitely line of site still, but I wondered about the range. They assured me that if I could see them , they would be able to hear my handheld VHF transmit on 16.

I wonder if, because of the difference in location, the CG helos here are monitoring on 16 as well as there home ops frequency

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the CG vessels and other assets, including airplanes and Choppers will always be monitoring 16. They should have a person dedicated to the monitoring of radios, other than the pilot. (Often the case in the vessels also). We were aboard one of the 87 footers and the radio room was down one level from the wheel house on that vessel. The larger CG cutters also have Marine SSB, and can transmit on Ham frequencies also. (I have a commercial SSB radio which has been "fixed" by the factory, so it does all of the ham, as well as military frequencies--Don't use it for anything other than Marine SSB, and as a back up for ham when we were cruising.)
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

Re: range of a HH VHF to a helo:

I have had good reception and transmission to the Tofino CCG repeater atop the peak just N of the opening to Barkley Sound, from about 5 miles away line of sight, standing on the beach, and usable TX/RX to Hot Springs from Burnaby Narrows, Queen Charlottes, again standing on the beach, a distance of 8 or 9 miles. The Hotsprings Haida Watchmen were working a whip off fhe cabin roof, so that I am sure an airborne helo would match that reception.

I am confident a helo should be able to pick you up easily at 10 miles out.

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, and Bob.

So far, instead of a PLB or EPIRB, I have made it a habit of having my Handheld VHF on my PFD. If I am in the water, I can talk to the helo, not just rely on there sight or bearing. And just in case, I'm planning on being in a doughnut boat instead of in the water.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an interesting call back from Standard Horizon tech today. After more research on my radio, they learned of an issue that AFFECTS ALL GX2150 Radios! Apparently, the DSC automatic test function, only sends out a 1 watt signal. (I may have missed if this affected only the test signal, or all DSC signals, including the Distress signal). They fixed that on my radio by updating the firmware, but then found while the radio would transmit the signal at 25 watts, it was immediately switching back to the in use frequency without waiting for a reply! I'm now told their engineers are working on this and as soon as the techs get the new software to fix this issue, they'll get my radio working properly and sent back to me. Again, this issue apparently affects ALL GX2150 Radios! Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the email I got from Standard Horizon when I asked for them to also forward me an email with the situation:

This is a follow up email in regards to the conversation we just had. Your radio has version 3.03 firmware in it and it was not allowing your radio to transmit at 25 watts during a DSC test. We’ve since upgraded to version 4.11 and it now puts out 25 watts but no longer waits for the acknowledgement. We are communicating with our engineering team and asking them to provide an update to the firmware or software to get that taken care of.

Best regards,
Juan Hernandez
j.hernandez@yaesu.com
Standard Horizon
6125 Phyllis Drive
Cypress, Ca 90630
Ph: 714-827-7600
Fx: 714-527-9472
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Got an interesting call back from Standard Horizon tech today. After more research on my radio, they learned of an issue that AFFECTS ALL GX2150 Radios! Apparently, the DSC automatic test function, only sends out a 1 watt signal. (I may have missed if this affected only the test signal, or all DSC signals, including the Distress signal). They fixed that on my radio by updating the firmware, but then found while the radio would transmit the signal at 25 watts, it was immediately switching back to the in use frequency without waiting for a reply! I'm now told their engineers are working on this and as soon as the techs get the new software to fix this issue, they'll get my radio working properly and sent back to me. Again, this issue apparently affects ALL GX2150 Radios! Colby

Colby,

WOW, this is good info. Actually, I have not done a DSC test on my 2150 since it was installed. I believe we tested it with a position request when it was installed at Roger's Marine, but that would have been a very short distance use, and I doubt that we sould have picked up on the 1 watt vs 25 watt difference.

I will have to go and check what software version I am running in my 2150. Thanks for passing this on.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but not worth sending the radio back to SH just for that. I wonder what else is in Version 3.03 vs version 1.00? (which is probably what I have...).
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a conversation with Juan Hernandez (714-827-7600) at Yaesu-Standard Horizon tech support. He told me 2 things:
1. The issue is only with the DSC test function, not the actual emergency function.
2. I should send in the GX 2150 VHF for the update, of 4.11 or later and the acknowledgement issue has been resolved.
3. If the radio is under warranty, then the $$ should be covered. For my radio, which is no longer under warranty, it would be like an MMSI change or update and would be $35 plus the shipping.

At this point, I am going to defer to Rogers Marine in Portland to see if they have the capability of checking the radio to see if there is an issue, and if so, if they can take care of it there, rather than sending it away.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I'm sort of surprised that they wouldn't fix it for free. But glad to hear it's just the DSC test function only. (Still, hard to test if it ain't putting out!) Juan is the same guy I usually email with. Just messaged with him today. Looks like my radio is on it's way back. (It was under warranty). This was his reply:

The unit had firmware updated and required a realignment. Neither of these processes can be done outside the factory. All radio functions were then tested.

So hoping it all works well when I get it back. Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I rad about the loss of a Brand new Benateau 60, and 5 souls in the South China Sea on a delivery from Hong Kong to the Philippines about a month ago.

Lessons from the exchange about the loss:

1. The EPRIB was not registered until the day before the voyage, and 3 days before it was activated: The information was not in the SAR system in Hong Kong, which delayed rescue attempts. Be sure you register any PLB or EPRIB well before a trip.

2. The boat's skipper made a Sat Phone contact in the Philippines 9 hours before the EPRIB was activated. There was not evidence of distress at that time, and apparently little was said about the impending storm. Good shore contact is essential, A sat phone or text message (Spot Messenger, or Delorme Inreach) is a very good idea, but be sure to relay plans, and any concerns from the boat and from the shore. It is not clear if the danger of storm was discussed. This might just be 20 miles offshore, as well as 150 miles.

3. A search plane was not able to spot any debris or a vessel at the position of the EPRIB. (May have been some time after the signal was lost --which was over 48 hours)--No second EPRIB or PLB was on board. If a second EPRIB is aboard (recommended for ocean voyages), it should not be activated until 48 hours, or the battery of the first unit has discharged. This assures that SAR knows that you are still alive, and in need of rescue. That will increase possibility of SAR finding you. The PLB should be activated last--and also serves as a beacon for SAR localization.

4. DSC: The general opinion was that there were very few successful rescues with DSC. This confirms that most DSC radios are not registered, or the operator is not familiar with DSC. This does not mean that DSC should not be used,--but that don't count on it--have the PLB or EPRIB!

5. The DSC should be left on, and not canceled, until rescue is available. DSC can act as a "Beacon" for RDF. There are SART- AIS beacons, (Like man overboard beacons,) which are short range portable AIS transmitters, by Kannad Marine, Weatherdock, and McMurdo. "AIS SARTS also collect your coordinates via GPS but they take this information and (like older RADAR activated SART) broadcast it to all nearby ships." This transmits your distress location to nearby ships, specifically in Man over board, but like the DSC enabled VHF will serve as a beacon to get all ships involved.

6. McMurdo, and Kannad Marine are now making GPS enabled PLB with 48 hour minimal length of service batteries, as the EPRIB has currently. It might be worth considering getting one of these, when you upgrade the PLB--batteries are user replaceable (5 year battery life)

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/maxgplb.html

7. Near Coast, or if in fleets offshore, DSC may/will be useful--if other vessels or shore stations are in in VHF range. DSC is also available in MF and HF (SSB) radios--these are rarely monitored, and it is strongly suggested than any boat traveling outside of the VHF range be equipped with either a Sat Phone, or some satellite texting device.

We say--How does all of this apply to us C Dory owners? We do take our boats offshore, and into areas where there is no VHF radio reception. The PLB/EPRIB takes at least 30 minutes to get rescue under way (because of layers of the SAR/confirmation by contacts that boat or person is where it may be in distress. We might be better served--as Sat Phones become cheaper/ Sat texting devices (SPOT Messenger or Delorme Inreach) may give both a faster and more specific response. For example, with the rescue at Lake Powell, it took us about an hour to get help--both because of difficulty with Cell phone and VHF marine reception. A Sat phone would have gotten help much faster. In this case, it didn't make a difference--in many emergencies, it might--such as massive trauma, or a heart attack.

The Benateau 60 and the 5 people aboard were never found.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it beneficial to make use of what is available. The nice thing about DSC is that all boats with DSC in range will receive your distress signal. As boaters we should know how to use the equipment we have. Unfortunately, that is not always the case.
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Harvey, I'm sort of surprised that they wouldn't fix it for free. But glad to hear it's just the DSC test function only. (Still, hard to test if it ain't putting out!) Juan is the same guy I usually email with. Just messaged with him today. Looks like my radio is on it's way back. (It was under warranty). This was his reply:

The unit had firmware updated and required a realignment. Neither of these processes can be done outside the factory. All radio functions were then tested.

So hoping it all works well when I get it back. Colby

Colby, Glad your radio is on the way. That would sound like the "no longer waits for acknowledgement" thing has been fixed.

I'm curious why a fairly new radio (yours), would need "realignment" and what that actually is?

Bob, Thank you for the good info on the EPIRB/PLB battery and the DSC/sat phone info too.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Last night I rad about the loss of a Brand new Benateau 60, and 5 souls in the South China Sea on a delivery from Hong Kong to the Philippines about a month ago.

Lessons from the exchange about the loss:

1. The EPRIB was not registered until the day before the voyage, and 3 days before it was activated: The information was not in the SAR system in Hong Kong, which delayed rescue attempts. Be sure you register any PLB or EPRIB well before a trip.

2. The boat's skipper made a Sat Phone contact in the Philippines 9 hours before the EPRIB was activated. There was not evidence of distress at that time, and apparently little was said about the impending storm. Good shore contact is essential, A sat phone or text message (Spot Messenger, or Delorme Inreach) is a very good idea, but be sure to relay plans, and any concerns from the boat and from the shore. It is not clear if the danger of storm was discussed. This might just be 20 miles offshore, as well as 150 miles.

3. A search plane was not able to spot any debris or a vessel at the position of the EPRIB. (May have been some time after the signal was lost --which was over 48 hours)--No second EPRIB or PLB was on board. If a second EPRIB is aboard (recommended for ocean voyages), it should not be activated until 48 hours, or the battery of the first unit has discharged. This assures that SAR knows that you are still alive, and in need of rescue. That will increase possibility of SAR finding you. The PLB should be activated last--and also serves as a beacon for SAR localization.

4. DSC: The general opinion was that there were very few successful rescues with DSC. This confirms that most DSC radios are not registered, or the operator is not familiar with DSC. This does not mean that DSC should not be used,--but that don't count on it--have the PLB or EPRIB!

5. The DSC should be left on, and not canceled, until rescue is available. DSC can act as a "Beacon" for RDF. There are SART- AIS beacons, (Like man overboard beacons,) which are short range portable AIS transmitters, by Kannad Marine, Weatherdock, and McMurdo. "AIS SARTS also collect your coordinates via GPS but they take this information and (like older RADAR activated SART) broadcast it to all nearby ships." This transmits your distress location to nearby ships, specifically in Man over board, but like the DSC enabled VHF will serve as a beacon to get all ships involved.

6. McMurdo, and Kannad Marine are now making GPS enabled PLB with 48 hour minimal length of service batteries, as the EPRIB has currently. It might be worth considering getting one of these, when you upgrade the PLB--batteries are user replaceable (5 year battery life)

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/maxgplb.html

7. Near Coast, or if in fleets offshore, DSC may/will be useful--if other vessels or shore stations are in in VHF range. DSC is also available in MF and HF (SSB) radios--these are rarely monitored, and it is strongly suggested than any boat traveling outside of the VHF range be equipped with either a Sat Phone, or some satellite texting device.

We say--How does all of this apply to us C Dory owners? We do take our boats offshore, and into areas where there is no VHF radio reception. The PLB/EPRIB takes at least 30 minutes to get rescue under way (because of layers of the SAR/confirmation by contacts that boat or person is where it may be in distress. We might be better served--as Sat Phones become cheaper/ Sat texting devices (SPOT Messenger or Delorme Inreach) may give both a faster and more specific response. For example, with the rescue at Lake Powell, it took us about an hour to get help--both because of difficulty with Cell phone and VHF marine reception. A Sat phone would have gotten help much faster. In this case, it didn't make a difference--in many emergencies, it might--such as massive trauma, or a heart attack.

The Benateau 60 and the 5 people aboard were never found.

Gadgets don't protect you. On the water, we increase our risk. Then, why
do we do it? Because we are alive and it is how we choose to live.

Richard Bode, in First You Have to Row a Little Boat, said it best:

"...we live in perilous times. Even in my most secure moments, when I lie in
bed with loving arms around me, I know that this is so. I try to persuade myself
than I'm safer than my Stone Age ancestors because my world has a civilized
veneer, but the truth is that I'm no more protected in my clapboard house
(or boat) than they were in their cave.

The voice of an ancient forebear rises within me and issues a warning cry. The
cougar still lurks above my head; the barbarian horde still threatens my town.
I put my trust in the electronic appliances of my age; surely they will defend me
against the pestilence that rises without warning and spreads like locusts across
the land. But once again I know I am allowing myself to be deceived. The only
security I know, that I will ever know, lies in me. And so I sit high on the windward
deck and tell myself to watch the sail, feel the wind, and beware the jibe."

Aye.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: