The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Seaworthiness - Marinaut vs C-Dory
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rain

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Glory
Photos: C-Glory
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: No Marinaut and a big Thank You to Dauntless 20 Reply with quote

I stopped at EQ Marine this afternoon and talked with a nice lady who was out front killing weeds. She says Les won't be back until February... personal issues. The attempted partnership with Nordic Tug didn't happen, they can barely keep up with their own demand. They are not currently building any Marinauts, and the future seems uncertain.

I want to give a big shout out and thanks to Dauntless20 for the ride and showing of his boat, Retriever. The seas were so calm we didn't get to test the ride comfort. That Honda 90 certainly is quiet!
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Kushtaka,

Point taken. Even though I was on a Marinaut for three weeks, it's not like we put it through any extreme tests (there was no opportunity, even if we had wanted to). It was more "living aboard" for an extended period, plus some good long runs, poking up narrow canyons, and a few blustery/wavy days (for Powell).

On the other hand, the boat was designed by the same folks who did the 22/23 and 25/26, so I don't think it's a huge stretch to think that it's going to have similar positive design attributes, but with a few improvements (one would expect this, when the same designers design a very similar boat, 20 years later).

Exactly. There will be time aboard, and good assessments of regular fair-weather use fairly quickly, but the tests we are looking for are likely the thing most of the owners would avoid.

But, I would CERTAINLY give the designer the benefit of the doubt, and I personally volunteer to receive a Marinaut and run it up here for as long as it takes to try it out in all kinds of nasty stuff, and document everything, with detailed comparisons to the CD22, and even with side-by-side comparisons of the two boats on the same days!

I just can't see dropping $100k on one of these, and then being too eager to be the first to run it in big water. I'm much more comfortable, having spent far less on my used CD22 with its proven design and capabilities, taking it out into some slop.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on the Marinaut , albeit quite briefly, twice. Once with only one other person and one time with a cabin full, 5 guys if I remember right, out of Friday Harbor.

The Marinaut has a finer entry, a bit more flare in the fore quarter, and thus a bit of a dryer ride. It was very responsive in acceleration and trim. I agree with the comments about the separation of birth and cabin, and I frequently drive standing in the center isle, one arm on the "counter" over the "companionway" and steering with one of my right hands, (either mine or the AP.)

I like the saddle tank feature, (would love that on my CD), but even if given the opportunity to own a Marinaut, I would have to think really hard. It is set up for a single out board only. It would be a major project to convert it to twins.

Yup, I'm pretty much a twins guy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had no experience with a CD 22 (albeit we did own a CD 16), I can't compare our Marinaut to that boat. We have used our Marinaut for 5 seasons now, and we think it is a seaworthy boat provided we exercise good seamanship and understand its limits. As I stated in previous posts, once a head sea exceeds 3 feet, if the waves are of short period, progress will be slow and extremely rough. On the other hand, we have come home in 4' following seas without issue. The Marinaut and C-Dory's are protected water boats. These are small craft. Not venturing out when conditions are rough -- exercising that discipline -- is the key.

in 2015, we did not venture out as much as we liked, but still spent 23 days on our boat with 11 overnight stays, and we averaged 4.8 miles per gallon. We had a slight increase in mileage, because we more carefully planned our trips to coincide with favorable tides and winds. Incidentally, the only reason we care about mileage is we hate to gas up frequently. With a 60 gallon tank, this level of high fuel efficiency gives us a tremendous range. I'll have more to say about the 2015 season later, along with other things we have done to make our boat very pleasant for overall use.

Rich

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: