The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Seaworthiness - Marinaut vs C-Dory
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rain

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Glory
Photos: C-Glory
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Seaworthiness - Marinaut vs C-Dory Reply with quote

I posted the same in my intro thread; this may be a better place for it.

I have compared the Marinaut and C-Dory (about as well as I can without being on either!) but can't find information on the seaworthiness. Speed, fuel consumption, comfort, space, etc. seem to be close to the same. Anyone have any opinions regarding a seaworthiness comparison?
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to guess that seaworthiness, ride and fuel burn are going to be much the same. They're just that similar of a boat. I have to admit I've never been on the water on one, but have crawled all over them a couple of times.

The marinaut has some added features and differences. I prefer the interior of the marinaut, and the saddle tanks as I mentioned on your other thread. If I could afford a new boat in that size, I would consider one. Not many used ones out there.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having no experience on the Marinaut, I can't vouch to the seaworthiness of that boat. But I can definitely vouch to the seaworthiness of our 2005 22' C-Dory. We've been in some big "stuff" over the years and have total confidence in the seaworthiness of our little boat. She's gotten through some pretty snotty seas without fail. As others on this site have stated in other threads, the boat can handle much more than the crew.

As Paul stated above, the hulls are pretty much the same so I think the seaworthiness would be the same as well. The Marinaut has an 1 1/2" more beam but it's dry weight is lower and is a half inch shorter. I like the lines of the C-Dory much better than the Marinaut, it just seems more aesthetically pleasing. IMHO, YMMV.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a Marinaut in person, but from what I see on their wedsite the lines are a bit off IMO. The forward rake of the cabin front and aft walls make it at bit out of proportion or out of balance. A bimini or camper back help balance it out a bit.

In some photos the hull looks like the sides cut in quite a bit, making it look a little top heavy (see the left top picture on the banner).

I also don't care for the cutout of the v-berth. In the CD 22 I like the segregation of the cabin from the berth. I also like the "counter" that runs across the width of the boat. In my case a lot of stuff gets put there. On long trips of when I need to see around more clearly, I stand in the center aisle and steer with might right hand. The counter gives something to grip or lean against as the case may be.

I'm not saying the Marinaut is good or bad, just that IMO it is not the boat for me.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent three weeks on a Marinaut 21 on Lake Powell, and I have a C-Dory 22 myself (which I have used on Lake Powell). In my opinion, the comparison isn't really about "seaworthiness." Neither boat is a true offshore boat, neither has a self-draining cockpit, etc. That's not to say that can't go offshore, because they can, in calculated circumstances. And either boat can be "seaworthy" in the sense of "ship shape." A lot also depends on the captain and crew.

Here is where I noticed differences:

1) Basic hull shape. The concept is similar, but I think the Marinaut has a slightly more balanced, "magic carpet" ride. Also with more reserve buoyancy in the stern, you can run something like a Honda 115. The 22 these days is almost always a bit overloaded in the stern. It handles it beautifully, but it's still a slight factor (motors were lighter, fuel tanks smaller, battery banks smaller/lighter/etc. when the 22 was designed).

2) Certain details are a bit more refined. For example the stern cleats are located such that lines just naturally lead fairly off them, a fender there won't roll around the back of the boat, etc. You can hold onto the cabin-top handrail and reach for (and grab) the bow rail with no "air space" in between. The gunwales are wide enough to sit on. The fuel tanks are saddle tanks so you have more storage room aft in the cockpit. The cabin windows have slightly better sight lines (at least for me). Etc.

So why do I have a 22? Well, even though it's not quite as slick, it does the job beautifully. Also, I was content to buy a used boat, so the price was 1/3 to 1/2 (since you can't find a ten-year-old used Marinaut 21 yet). Maybe my boat is not as nice, but I have a hunk of cash left over to go boating with. This is of course an individual choice. I also think the 22 is a tad better looking. But if someone offered to hand me either a 22 or a Marinaut 21 for free, just pick one? I'd pick the Marinaut 21. Others may have other choices, and I LOVE my 22!

I think the Venture 23 has many of the same improvements, but for me the extra 1,000# of towing weight (over the 22), took it off my list.

Not sure how the 25/26 compare, as I don't have either of those.
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No personal experience regarding seaworthiness, but as you have probably already found from reading this forum, the Marinaut carries the V hull further aft which should provide a softer ride at speed and better straight ahead tracking. It is also sealed from the sole down and uses foam core rather than balsa wood. The Marinaut also has a full height motor well but relies on a bilge pump to clear the cockpit of water.
Rain

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Glory
Photos: C-Glory
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Great Information Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. I have a lot to learn, indeed! I am going to stop by the marina at Cornet Bay this afternoon and see what more I can find out!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "sea worthiness'" factor is a function of the skipper in these type of boats. A good skipper can handle almost anything which coastal cruising will throw at it.

Certainly the boats are taken "offshore" in the usual sense of the world. A somewhat similar boat, crossed the Atlantic. (Semi Dory about 26 feet long with an outboard)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have crawled all over them both and also been in both on the water at least briefly. I concur with what others are saying already. I would pic the newer design if money was no object but at the same time I do like the look of the C-Dory just a little better. The comment about the little shelf area between helm and passenger seat is good. I find myself doing the same thing quite frequently and I would miss that.

"The counter gives something to grip or lean against"

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Spike

City/Region: Kent
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the oppertunity to ride in and drive a Marinaut at a Friday Harbor GTG a while back. Found it to be very much the same as my 22. But for what is worth, and that is not much, I dont like the looks near as much as the 22 C-Dory. Not a fan of the round port holes on the sides of the cabin. Just seems to interfere with the general lines of the boat. But I also dont like the one large window on the 23 venture as much as the 2 smaller windows with the pillar as on the 22. This is just my opinion only.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to beat the looks of a CD 22, especially with twins & we have certainly put ours through the paces in 13 seasons & now just under 2000 hours on the Honda 40's, but if money wasn't a factor our next trip north would be in a Marinaut with its single.

Jay

Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would doubt that the current fleet of Marinaut boats (in the hundreds???) has been put through its paces to the extent necessary to make a comparison with the CD22. Thus, I don't think you will be able to research this question very well as you won't likely find as much info about the Marinaut.

My CD22 lives in a commercial harbor and I often boast to all who can hear that, pound for pound, mine is the most seaworthy boat in the harbor. I've been in very, very bad conditions, the type you would avoid at all costs, and not only did I survive, I didn't take on any water, I didn't take any real water over the bow. I thought I was going to several times, but the bow just rose right over it all at the last second.

I would not guess that the two boats will be at all identical. They are just not the same. Different hull design, different weight distribution, different construction, different shear and bow lines, different freeboard and I don't see that classic rounded side on the Marinaut (?).

They are both roughly the same size and shape, and are both cored fiberglass hulls. You can guess a lot about overall ride, fuel consumption, etc., based on the specific differences (Marinaut has a little more deadrise at the transom, a little wider and shorter, weight, etc.), but SEAWORTHINESS itself is somewhat elusive. Someone has to get out there in some slop and see what it does, that's about all there is to it. So far, nobody has chimed in with any real info on the newcomer. These tests usually happen by accident. So time will tell on the Marinaut. But the CD22 is a proven performer that will bring you home if you and your engine do your parts even fairly well. That much, most everyone on here will attest to.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka,

Point taken. Even though I was on a Marinaut for three weeks, it's not like we put it through any extreme tests (there was no opportunity, even if we had wanted to). It was more "living aboard" for an extended period, plus some good long runs, poking up narrow canyons, and a few blustery/wavy days (for Powell).

On the other hand, the boat was designed by the same folks who did the 22/23 and 25/26, so I don't think it's a huge stretch to think that it's going to have similar positive design attributes, but with a few improvements (one would expect this, when the same designers design a very similar boat, 20 years later).
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hundreds???)

Les said early this year there were 10 boats out there in the wild. I would guess maybe 15 currently so there are not numbers enough to easily gather loads of user experience.

Greg
Comfortably Numb

City/Region: Greenville
State or Province: IL
Vessel Name: Comfortably Numb
Photos: Comfortably Numb
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bob said it all.
Greenville, Illinois

“For this is how the suicide of nations begins, when sentimentality prevails over sense.”
- Roger Scruton
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: