The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Adding trailer brakes to a trailer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colbysmith raises an important point with tire size. It's another area where brakes on a small trailer gets complicated. Many 2000# trailers have 13" wheels. A 3500# axle has a larger spindle than the 2000# axle (which is the main reason for the higher weight capacity). If you replace the 2K axle with a 3500#, you will have the larger spindle and 10" disc brakes fit that spindle, but not your 13" wheels. So you may need to figure on new wheels and tires and a spare just because of the size brakes used on a 3500# axle (add $400+).

Tie Down (aka Tow Zone) makes a disc brake that is 9.6" and allegedly will fit a 13" wheel on a 3500# axle, so you could re-use your existing 13" wheels and tires if you go with that brand.

It is also possible to find an axle manufacturer who will put a brake flange on a new 2000" axle. I found a place that quoted me $259 for a galvanized 2K axle with flange, including shipping. Many fabricators don't offer galvanized on a custom axle (and a 2K axle with a brake flange will be custom). My current idea is to get this axle and the 8" Kodiak brakes, which seem to be about the only ones that fit 13" wheels on a 2K straight spindle axle.

Out of curiosity, I just ordered brake flanges for my 2" 2000K axle. They were $5 each and I wanted to see what would be involved. The 2000K spindle is welded into a 2" square galvanized axle. I've actually done that before and it's no big deal. But the new brake flange would not fit over my trailer's axle weld unless the weld was partially ground off. Although there are sites on the web that give the measurement for placement of a brake flange on a 2000# axle (it differs from other axles), one of the recommended methods is to buy your brake kit, install it on the axle, activate the calipers so that they are tightly attached to the disc, and then place the mounting flange in position. That is assuming that your grinding of the spindle weld is clean enough to make you comfortable with the flange placement (i.e., is it on top of the weld that you ground off?). Then you weld the flange in place. And then you would have to decide if the weld that you ground off is still sound or does it need to be rewelded. Sounds tedious and makes buying a new axle seem like a good deal.

Next issue (it's always something) is the fenders. My really nice two-step EZ Loader composite fenders have an inboard skirt right where the new disc brakes would be. I can modify (cut out) that area, but it would weaken the fender. Also, if the new axle and brakes are two inches wider, it's not a big deal on my trailer, except for the fenders. New fenders needed with new brakes?

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: