View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: backing&filling Reply with quote

brooks&judy wrote:
Coming to a complete stop, as was suggested, before reversing one engine and going ahead on the other seems like more caution than I think necessary if your equipment is kept in good order.

This summer we took the boat from Everett down to Keyport, for lunch. As I circled around into the finger pier (without coming to a stop), I put my port engine in neutral, and approached the dock with the starboard engine at just enough speed to maintain steerage.

I pulled in perfectly parallel to the dock, popped the starboard engine into reverse and goosed it. The boat surged forward.

I was now only a few seconds now from hitting the end of the slip, so all of what followed happened in a flash. My next step was to pop the starboard engine back into neutral and my brain into self-doubt mode. That can't be right, I thought. I'm sure I had it in reverse. I'm sure reverse is all the way back. But the boat went forward. How could that be? Better try it again.

So, with a collision rapidly approaching, I put it in reverse again and gunned it ... and the boat surged forward and slammed into the dock.

The dock was padded and the boat struck right on the stainless bow guard. Remarkably, C-Dory and dock were entirely unhurt. There was, however, some indignant language from the first mate, who had been standing ready with the lines, and was nearly thrown off her feet.

There was a guy watching all of this from the dock, and he said, "I SAW him put it in reverse. He had it in reverse." I'm glad I had a witness.

What had happened was, the exterior sheathing of the starboard control cable had snapped free of its connection with the engine, effectively disabling the controls. That breakage had to have happened somewhere enroute from Everett to Keyport. Because I never stopped, I didn't know the starboard engine was stuck in forward, even when it appeared to be in neutral or reverse.

There are undoubtedly several lessons here. The first, for me, is that equipment that is in (apparent) good working order at the outset of a trip can fail during passage. The second, for me, is that coming to a full stop for just a second before docking, is not such a bad idea.

Andy Ryan

rogerbum

C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: backing&filling Reply with quote

Pandion wrote:
brooks&judy wrote:
Coming to a complete stop, as was suggested, before reversing one engine and going ahead on the other seems like more caution than I think necessary if your equipment is kept in good order.

This summer we took the boat from Everett down to Keyport, for lunch. As I circled around into the finger pier (without coming to a stop), I put my port engine in neutral, and approached the dock with the starboard engine at just enough speed to maintain steerage.

I pulled in perfectly parallel to the dock, popped the starboard engine into reverse and goosed it. The boat surged forward.

I was now only a few seconds now from hitting the end of the slip, so all of what followed happened in a flash. My next step was to pop the starboard engine back into neutral and my brain into self-doubt mode. That can't be right, I thought. I'm sure I had it in reverse. I'm sure reverse is all the way back. But the boat went forward. How could that be? Better try it again.

So, with a collision rapidly approaching, I put it in reverse again and gunned it ... and the boat surged forward and slammed into the dock.

The dock was padded and the boat struck right on the stainless bow guard. Remarkably, C-Dory and dock were entirely unhurt. There was, however, some indignant language from the first mate, who had been standing ready with the lines, and was nearly thrown off her feet.

There was a guy watching all of this from the dock, and he said, "I SAW him put it in reverse. He had it in reverse." I'm glad I had a witness.

What had happened was, the exterior sheathing of the starboard control cable had snapped free of its connection with the engine, effectively disabling the controls. That breakage had to have happened somewhere enroute from Everett to Keyport. Because I never stopped, I didn't know the starboard engine was stuck in forward, even when it appeared to be in neutral or reverse.

There are undoubtedly several lessons here. The first, for me, is that equipment that is in (apparent) good working order at the outset of a trip can fail during passage. The second, for me, is that coming to a full stop for just a second before docking, is not such a bad idea.

Wow! That is indeed weird and I probably would have done the same thing (although I'd like to think I would have swapped to the port engine for the second reverse).

Pandion

C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: backing&filling Reply with quote

Roger wrote:

Wow! That is indeed weird and I probably would have done the same thing (although I'd like to think I would have swapped to the port engine for the second reverse).

It all happened within 5 or 6 seconds. Literally a case of "think fast."

I did, but my first thought was "brain failure," not engine-controls failure.

Last edited by Pandion on Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
rogerbum

C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: backing&filling Reply with quote

[quote="Pandion"][quote="rogerbum"]
Pandion wrote:
brooks&judy wrote:

It all happened within 5 or 6 seconds. Literally a case of "think fast."

I did, but my first thought was "brain failure," not engine-controls failure.

I bet that would have been my first thought too, as for me, that's statistically far more likely than engine control failure.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my observation this summer, the rate of twin engine boats (obviously this would be outboard only boats) was in the range of 25 - 35 percent. The percentage of those that were run, steering with differential throttle, (and this was only observed in the marina areas), about 10 - 20 per cent.

That is a pretty small group, which really surprised me, considering the advantages of using that "style" of maneuvering in confined, slow speed areas.

If you are running twin engines, I would highly recommend trying, at least, and practicing in a comfortable area, to gain proficiency and comfort with this system.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

As a sailor, I'm used to rudder control, even when the engine is not in gear.

I have to admit that our recent trip to KY lake showed my complete lack of knowledge about handling a twin engine power boat at the dock.

I have a lot to learn and practice. Thumbs Up

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep on trucking' out there.
There's always something new to learn.

Aye.
Grandma used to say, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."
Or was that an old TV ad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: