City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George,

For the Yukon River, I would love to swap the present outboards for a couple jet drives, though I think the bank account might see red. Actually it would be even better for such a trip to being doing it in a complete jet boat. In 2003 the last time we had the CD22 on the Yukon River a fellow who spent lots of time on it then in a jet boat, advised us we would never make it from Carmacks to Whitehorse with the out drives we had on the C-Dory. It did work out for us then & we have confidence it will again with there in my opinion being something special about making this cruise in a C-Dory boat, but for sure we will be carrying extra props & we will be starting out with aluminum instead of the stainless we normally run now.

Present plans for 2017 include making the Friday Harbor Gathering, then heading north for the summer from there to the Pelican & Elfin Cove area. We sure hope to see you & Caroline either at Friday Harbor or on the way north or back.

Jay

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the day's quickly passing it's now only about five weeks until we hope to head out. The exact departure date of course depends on the SE Alaska & the road north area weather windows. We have been making progress in trip preparation with these being a small sample of what is now done with of course a very long list yet to do. The food staples costing $1200 now purchased & ready to load, Canadian shotgun permit printed out & filled in, bottom paint purchased & ready for warmer weather to apply, registered new PLB, new hand held & fixed radio's mssi registered, new life vest purchased, upgrade kit for Lewmar 700H windless & new anchor swivel installed.

For the Yukon River, JoLee while going through old books found three more guide books, I had picked up in past trips to the Yukon, that I had forgotten I'd purchased. That makes a total of 5 to sort through. I find the different authors perspectives interesting with each adding somethings worthwhile on the past history & present route choices.

Jay
AJF

City/Region: Hamlet of Mt. Lorne near Whitehorse
State or Province: YT
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will want to keep a eye on this website, regarding river ice breakup at Dawson. http://www.yukonriverbreakup.com/
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJF, thanks for another good information link. My understanding is the ice on Lake Labarge prevents going downstream for at least 2 weeks after the ice breaks on the river. Is that correct? We don't plan on leaving Whitehorse until after the ice is off Lake Larbarge. Do you know where I can keep track of it's going there or is that needed if it is pretty much a set time after the ice breaks on the river. As of now, I will be watching your provided link on river ice break up while cruising in SE Alaska & then start working our way back to Skagway a week or two after the ice breaks at Dawson.

Jay
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay,

You are a true pioneer. What a trip. Thanks for sharing so much. I caught the bit about the food staples. I am really curious about what and how you do that. Maybe in another thread, ( think I will start a thread about that.)

I did, and it is "Foods for Extended Cruising" and here is the thread:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=290878#290878

Hoping to see some of your info here in your thread or on the Food one.

Thank you,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

AJF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay
It has been an exceptionally warm winter here with below average snow fall in headwaters of the Yukon. Some of the headwaters lakes did not even freeze over totally, till very late in the winter. So it is very hard to predict if breakup will be earlier this, but lot of people are assuming that. http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/air-water-waste/snow_survey.php
You can also check real time flow rates for the YUKON RIVER ABOVE WHITE RIVER (09CD001) [YT] at this site. https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/mainmenu/real_time_data_index_e.html
Which is a good indicator for the Yukon River between Carmacks and Dawson.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJF, again thanks much. I'll be checking those links while cruising in SE Alaska. Looks like flooding won't be a concern, but very low water levels making for even more careful navigation could be.

Jay
AJF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay

A friend sent me this video of a 1949 steamboat trip down the Yukon River. I thought you might enjoy it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej37rLeu-JI
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJF, this 1949 video is absolutely fantastic & by far the best of many I've viewed of early Skagway, the railroad over White Pass, the paddle wheeler on the Yukon River being lined up Five Finger Rapids & something I never imagined I would see, the smaller paddle wheeler Tutchi, who's remains are now at Carcross going up Tagish Lake to Ben My Chree with the long dock there in good repair & the flower garden kept up around the resort when tourist where still visiting. The beautiful views shown along the Yukon River made us even more look forward to being back there in June.

We've been keeping a watch on the weather in Southeast Alaska & the road area from here to Skagway & are now planning on leaving here sometime in the next two weeks. I put the third coat of Pettit Hydracoat Eco bottom paint on today. We didn't like the bright light blue color of the first coat, so added a quart of black to the remaining paint which changed the color to a much more acceptable blue-grey then applied two more coats of this ok with one more to go. I was able to block the boat above the trailer to completely cover the bottom. This paint is great to work with & made a nasty job much easier.

Yesterday I turned the Delorme In Reach back on, so for those interested this is the link to follow along with us. https://share.delorme.com/JuliusByers This link is also located in my posting signature.

I dug out & we tried on our 30 year old survival suits, which are still in excellent condition. On this trip we will be out in areas along the open Gulf of Alaska, early season with even less other boats around, if any, than even in past years, so think their presence aboard worth the space they take up. The cockpit will be well loaded with the extra fuel, Honda Generator, extra rode, 2.5 hp Suzuki motor, porta potty, survival suits, rubber rain gear, boots, chairs & I imagine a few other items I can't think of now.

Jay
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll watch your Delorme track when you leave home. Personally I think your jumping the season by a month. We will leave home in early June in the small motorhome....Winnebago 27B Brave. Maybe we can get together in the Yukon in June. Be safe out there. I'll turn on our Delorme when we leave home.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent & Dixie, yes we're jumping the season by at least a month, but we do know what we are getting ourselves into as we did it back in 2012 too. Having promised the kids we would be back in early July to spend some time with them & the grandkids this summer makes leaving early the only way we can be on the SE Alaska waters & make the run on the Yukon River too, this year.

Our cell phones are turned on for Canada usage & should work while in the Yukon at least in the Whitehorse area & we'll be keeping an eye out for you & the Winnebago & following your In Reach tracks.
AJF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the Yukon it feels like we are a month ahead of our normal spring weather. If that has any relation to what SE Alaska weather is doing, well that it is hard to say. But we have open water on Atlin Lk. which we normally don't see until late May or early June. As with all small boat travel in the north watch the weather and give yourself a lot of time to be able to sit out the bad stuff. Then everything is hunky-dory. The end to regular vehicle travel over the ice bridge at Dawson. https://www.facebook.com/dawnkusugaak.kisoun/videos/10153976797795575/
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been been keeping a close watch on the weather between here & Skagway & also the waters between Skagway & Hoonah. It appears we have a fantastic weather window for the road trip & then the following day after arrival at Skagway clear sky's & calm waters down the Lynn Canal if we leave here tomorrow morning. These exceptionally good days are forecast to continue for another 3 days, so we are planning on a first time run into Glacier Bay, something we've avoided doing in the past due to the permitting process, restrictions & the number of other boats. No reservations are needed this early in the season & other boats will be few & far between if at all, so all we have to do is stop at Bartlett Cove, sign in & watch the movie before proceeding on into the inner bays. We're very excited about being off on another "Grand Adventure".

Also My friend & brother-in-law, Louie, has agreed to our suggestion of flying into Juneau in early June to go with us back to Skagway & Whitehorse. He will be driving the pickup & trailer to Dawson from Whitehorse, while we are going down river to there. After meeting us in Dawson, he again will be going with us on the boat to Eagle Alaska & then back to Dawson, followed by the trip home via his place near Amboy, Washington.

Jay
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: 2016 season Reply with quote

Jay,

Once again you are making me very envious of your plan for cruising this season.
All the best of luck to you and keep up the reporting.

Thanks,
Jack in Alaska

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fine trip planned. Bon voyage, explorers. El and Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: