Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey- Will try to draw up a schematic and take some photos when I get back from a weekend trip tomorrow and Monday.

It's an easy project.

However, it will work only if your windlass has a relay type contactor where the up/down switch works on a low amperage circuit, and there's a relay in the contactor that sends the high amperage current out to the windlass.

This is the way most of the windlasses work. The dash at the helm has a small amperage up/down switch which tells the contactor/relay which way to send current through the reversible DC windlass motor.

However, many of the smaller Lewmar (formerly Simpson/Lawrence) windlasses pull the full 80 or so amp current through the up/down switch right on he dash, without a contactor/relay unit. The dash switch carries the full operating amperage of the windlass right though it, reversing the current in the switch itself because of the way it is wired. This works best for small windlasses in the 400-700 size.

Larger ones have so much current that it's simply easier to do it though a relay, plus you usually have a much larger boat with the larger windlass, and the desired helm location for the switch is often a long way from the batteries and the windlass. My Sea Ray windlass battery, it's dedicated charger, the windlass itself and the contactor are down below and forward in the V-berth, quite a ways from the flying bridge.

A remote for one of the smaller types would have to have wires capable of carrying the full 80 amps up to the remote at the bow from the helm and back again, and probably have to be at least 6 gauge or larger!

More info later!

Have a great weekend!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

Also depending on which windlass you have, Lewmar makes a wireless remote. I know that you need to have the relay/contactor, but other than that don't know the specifics. It was available for my Lewmar 700H (~2013/2014 model).
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Harvey,

Also depending on which windlass you have, Lewmar makes a wireless remote. I know that you need to have the relay/contactor, but other than that don't know the specifics. It was available for my Lewmar 700H (~2013/2014 model).

Here's the remote I got from Lewmar when I replaced the old directly wired switch on my 700V.

The original switch was installed by the builder in 2006. I don't know if a Lewmar contactor/solenoid switch was available for the 700V then. By a couple of years later, however, I had read and heard enough about failures of the direct switches that I decided to look into a change. (An inspection of the wire connections on the original switch added a little urgency!) By then, at least, a contactor/relay was available for the 700V. Since the new switch made a remote possible as a practical matter, I got one of those too.

Although the installation of the contactor/relay was a bit of a PITA due to a cramped location, I was pleased with the outcome. (Lewmar, by the way, was very helpful with phone advice.) The remote definitely makes retrieval and clean up a lot easier. It also comes in very handy after laying out the rode for inspection and cleaning - you can stand on your dock or driveway and manage retrieval.

Here's a link to a page in my photo album with a few more (probably not real helpful) pictures of the installation. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Weld-Failure&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks a little different than the one I have, just for comparison. It's this one, and is wireless:

More detail here if anyone is interested:

http://www.lewmar.com/products.asp?id=8836&lid=27469

It looks like it basically works with any of their windlasses that use a solenoid (which I think they sometimes call a contactor), but it does mention to contact them with any questions. It does work with the "stock" 700 (Pro, horizontal) that I got last year.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
That looks a little different than the one I have, just for comparison. It's this one, and is wireless . . .

Wireless is definitely cooler and more convenient and versatile. I thought long and hard about which one to get. In the end, I couldn't shake the image of the cellphone that slipped out of my pocket, skittered across the deck, teetered, teetered,Shocked teetered, and then with hardly a sound . . .
I concluded that a more or less permanent tether was a better plan for a guy with hands and memory that aren't what they once were Laughing .
Lost Petrel

City/Region: Potter Valley
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Harvey,

Lewmar's FAQ states they make a kit to convert the toggle switch like I have currently to a solenoid, but I cannot locate it anywhere. I probably will give them a call next week, because I would like to have that option on Wild Blue.

http://lostpetrel.blogspot.com/
Other boats;
Cape Dory Typhoon
Pearson Ariel
My Galleries
Lost Petrel

City/Region: Potter Valley
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost Petrel wrote:
[

Lewmar's FAQ states they make a kit to convert the toggle switch like I have currently to a solenoid, but I cannot locate it anywhere. I probably will give them a call next week, because I would like to have that option on Wild Blue.

Well I did locate the individual pieces needed; solenoid, rocker switch, and remote totally about $500, so this may not happen before a couple of other projects.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 seconds on the search function of this web site came up with the instructions and photos I did of the 8 plait splice about a year and a half ago. I have used this over 100 times, and zero problems feeding thru the windlass (700H). I don't know if there is an "up grade kit", since I purchased the windlass about 18 months ago.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=21709&highlight=plait

I prefer a double back splice, over any of the woven chain splices--but if you can proof the splice to several thousand lbs, then it should be good to go!

The wireless remote is great, I believe that Jody used one at Powell. It seemed to be flawless. My Lewmar 700 H windlass installation instruction sheet had all of the details of the wireless remote, along with part numbers and simple diagram. It looks like less than an hour time max to do the wiring and installation if you already the contractor, which I believe that all of the new 700 H's have.

Below is a photo of the completed splice before use: A bit dirtier, but about the same size:

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the infinitely helpful email reply from Josh at Lewmar. It kind of bugs me having spent probably four thousand bucks on their stuff over the years that they really don't care if it works or not.

Quote:
Thank you for the email.

We do not tie our rodes here but in a facility down in Florida so I don’t have any instructions regarding the tying of an 8 plait splice.

The best information I have about them is that they should be flexible at most about 3 inches long and about 1.5x the diameter of the line itself.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Oh well. No sense replying back. I liked 'em better when the windlasses were Simpson Lawrence.

Bob - your splice looks a lot better than the one they gave me. This one wasn't so much too big as it was too rigid. It was like trying to wrap a four inch stick around the gypsy.

I'll give the backyard farmer knot I tied a few tries and see how it stays together. If it fails I can have the guy at Englund Marine tie one up for me when I buy the new anchor Rolling Eyes

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

My splicing career is nearly nonexistent. The only suggestion I have is to work the splice hard over a rounded edge to improve the flexibility. Dr. Bob's splice is light years ahead of anything I could do.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secret of any splice is to bring it tight, and work it well as you do it. Then do the taper. The taper, takes a bit more time, but brings the line into the gypsy in a smooth manor.

With a lot of bulk, it suggests that who made the splice was not putting the physical work into making it tight. Paradoxically it can also make the splice stiff. It is also possible that the person doing the splice did not do it correctly.

The nice feature of a good splice, is the more you pull on it, the tighter it grips. Sort of like the Chinese finger basket trick. (I don't think that applies to chain weaves. I put this one on the trailer hitch, and the chain end to a big oak tree--brought it up to what I estimated would have been over 2000 lbs load.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
20 seconds on the search function of this web site came up with the instructions and photos I did of the 8 plait splice about a year and a half ago. I have used this over 100 times, and zero problems feeding thru the windlass (700H). I don't know if there is an "up grade kit", since I purchased the windlass about 18 months ago.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=21709&highlight=plait

I prefer a double back splice, over any of the woven chain splices--but if you can proof the splice to several thousand lbs, then it should be good to go!

The wireless remote is great, I believe that Jody used one at Powell. It seemed to be flawless. My Lewmar 700 H windlass installation instruction sheet had all of the details of the wireless remote, along with part numbers and simple diagram. It looks like less than an hour time max to do the wiring and installation if you already the contractor, which I believe that all of the new 700 H's have.

Below is a photo of the completed splice before use: A bit dirtier, but about the same size:

Bringing this Thread back from 2015.

That Splice is beautiful and looks like it should feed through the gypsy well.

My current 3 strand rode was spliced into a single loop of chain that was about 1.5 inches long, so almost twice what my 1/4" HT G-4 chain link size is. Also, the splice was pretty lumpy, not much of a taper.

I'm working on replacing my current rode and have talked to both Fisheries Supply and Defender. Neither of them are willing to share pictures of the splices they do (or provide) except what they have on their websites, which are pretty useless in really knowing how their splices usually turn out.

I like the slim, narrowness of Joe's chain splice, and Also of Bobs tapered back splice. Anyone have some other splices or pictures of the ones done by the suppliers?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
have talked to both Fisheries Supply and Defender. Neither of them are willing to share pictures of the splices they do (or provide) except what they have on their websites, which are pretty useless in really knowing how their splices usually turn out.

I like the slim, narrowness of Joe's chain splice, and Also of Bobs tapered back splice. Anyone have some other splices or pictures of the ones done by the suppliers?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hello Harvey,

I recently purchased a "Defender" branded 1/2" 8-plait rode prespliced (by Defender) to 1/4" chain for use in a Lewmar 700 Profish Horizontal windlass. I don't have any pics of the actual splice at the moment, but I can tell you it has fed through the gypsy without problem the couple dozen times I've tried.

/dave
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstoriaDave wrote:
Mike,

If you want company in your misery, and perhaps the opinion of someone who works with splices day in and day out, you might take that premade splice in to Danny in the cable shop down at Englund Marine. Either Danny or Vaughn (sp?) probably could sort this out and or provide a couple clues for the new rode splice.

Danny has been especially helpful when I had a rigging problem I could not solve.

Anybody there can hook you up with Danny, but maybe Sheila, just outside the warehouse access, might be the go to person.

I don't know Danny, but this.

Splicing is a great skill to have, but maybe it is best to start splicing some eyes onto spare dock lines, or dinghy bridles, or just splice some line at home for no reason at all. The anchor splice is a very important one for many reasons and I can tell you that there is no substitute for practice.

I can splice lines, and I do most of my own splices, but I have professionals splice my anchor rode to my chain and it always feeds just fine through my gypsy.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had serious concerns about just getting a "standard rode to chain" splice done, even at Defender, but one of our local Sequim Contingent CBRATS came over this afternoon with a newly purchased length of Yale 8-strand Plait spliced to a 1/4" chain, and it looked very nice. Tight, with a taper, and covered in a blue sealer of some sort.

We tried pulling it through my windlass. Not so good. It slipped and just would not hold. Looks like the pros at Quick and Defender were on the mark. I will be staying with the 3 strand for now.... Just updating the connections from rode to chain and chain to anchor and the anchor.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: