View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Windlass/Rode splice problem Reply with quote

I have a brand new Lewmar 700H windlass and the recommended Lewmar 8-plait rode, also new. The windlass does have the upgraded spring and finger already. The splice at the chain will not transition thru the gypsy without help from me.

That help is either crawling up into the berth, opening the locker and dragging the wet line across the cushion so I can pull on it while flipping the windlass switch, or climbing out on the deck and stomping on the windlass to force the tension finger to shove the splice down into the gypsy. Both of those methods are unacceptable.

I wrote to Lewmar and got a quick response suggesting I work the splice by bending and twisting it to limber it up. I did that to no avail, and I also beat the crap out of it with a hammer and whittled off the stiff melted material left over from heat sealing the line ends. Still doesn't work. Lewmar's other suggestion was to soak the splice in fresh water with a cup of fabric softener. I haven't done that yet, but I know it will not make the splice any smaller as is needed. It is simply too big and it climbs out of the nip of the gypsy pushing the tension finger up with it.

Beyond that, he says the splice will need to be retied. I have asked for instructions that a poorly skilled old man can follow easily.

Does anyone here know of a good way to splice this 8-plait stuff to the chain that wont result in a big old dog knot fully two and a half times the rope diameter?

I really like the way the 8-plait lays out in the locker and do not want to go back to 3 strand rope. That, and it was rather expensive but I learned a while back not to scrimp on rode to run thru a windlass. Turns out it might not have been a bad idea to get some cheap stuff.

Thanks for you help and ideas.

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure which splice method you used, but I followed the one outlined on the Yale website, and although I haven't tried to put my splice through the 700H yet (decided not to mount it until I'm going to someplace with deep anchoring), it's not huge (not that I have measured, but I don't think it would be 2.5x). Maybe I'm just dreaming in thinking it will pass through the windlass without issue... Now I'll definitely be reading to see what others say who have used the 700H and the brait spliced to the chain.

I'll see if I can dig up a link to the splicing instructions I used and post back with it.

Edited to add: I used these, plus a related video:

http://www.yalecordage.com/pdf/brait_to_chain_splice.pdf

BTW, I found it slightly hard to figure out just going by the instructions (had to start over once), but when I added some "just look at it common sense," plus marked the strands with various colors prior to splicing, it suddenly became reasonably obvious how to do it.

PS: Can you tell more about the upgraded spring and finger? Like when were they upgraded? I wonder if mine needs upgrading before I've even installed it! (Purchased it around early 2014.)
TyBoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
I'm not sure which splice method you used

I bought the rode with the chain already spliced. The splice Mr. Lewmar used looks like the one in the video you provided (Thanks for that!) with the rope splice fully behind a single chain link. That is what makes it so bulky. I think it would work better to somehow thread the strands of rope thru several of the links and spread it out the way they do with the 3 strand rope. I don't know if that will work with the fancy 8 plait stuff.

Sunbeam wrote:

PS: Can you tell more about the upgraded spring and finger? Like when were they upgraded? I wonder if mine needs upgrading before I've even installed it! (Purchased it around early 2014.)

Here are front and back pics of the upgrade kit. A friend at work (when I still had a job!) has the same windlass without the upgrade and his line was constantly coming out of the gypsy when paying out. He told me about this after I had ordered the windlass so I ordered a kit for each of us. My new windlass was delivered with one of the upgrade already there but I elected to keep the kit for when the spring and finger get worn. I think it was about $90.

If your windlass already has the side plate/guard at the back of the gypsy you are good to go. If not, you can get it through www.imarineusa.com by calling them up and giving the part number. You will want it according to the guy where I used to work.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for that info. I'm going to be at the boat in a few days and I'll take a look at the windlass. If it's not there, I now have the golden part number. Nothing like a part number!

I *think* most people use the single-link rope to chain splice with windlasses, but I guess we'll see what others who are actually using theirs have to say. Of course mine works fine when I'm pulling up the rode hand-over-hand Wink
TyBoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my previous 3-strand rodes had the rope threaded a ways up the chain. I found this link here that shows how to do the long splices with both types of rope. Anyone have any thoughts on the second method showing the 8 strand rope?

I am thinking I will pull it all out of the locker and practice splicing the bitter end of the rope to the other end of the chain. If I get one that looks like it will hold I can cut the original splice off and hook that end of the chain to the anchor.

Last edited by TyBoo on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I had Defender do my splice & on occasion it slips at the splice, but a quick stop & start gets it through & this is without the upgrade. Perhaps someone more skilled did mine.

This year on our Alaska cruise it was doing as you described when letting out line, so very thankful for your upgrade information.

Jay

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

If you want company in your misery, and perhaps the opinion of someone who works with splices day in and day out, you might take that premade splice in to Danny in the cable shop down at Englund Marine. Either Danny or Vaughn (sp?) probably could sort this out and or provide a couple clues for the new rode splice.

Danny has been especially helpful when I had a rigging problem I could not solve.

Anybody there can hook you up with Danny, but maybe Sheila, just outside the warehouse access, might be the go to person.

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, here is a link to Lewmar's instructions for installing the upgraded piece mentioned above. I googled the part number and found the part on Defender's website, is why it is a Defender link (but it's a Lewmar document).

Over $100 - kinda hope I already have it! (But then of course I can't begrudge the boat a shiny new part, can I...)

http://www.defender.com/pdf/002541.pdf
TyBoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! The thought had crossed my mind to take it to Englund. Now I know who to ask for. What about their shop over here in Warrenton? What goes on in there?

I could also get Sturgeon Paul to direct me to a local expert, I'm sure. He's kind of a knothead himself.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a new and improved splice doesn't cure your problem you might fab up a pedestal to raise your windlass so the rode contacts the gypsy at point below the finger. On my set up, where the windlass sat and the way the bow and and the roller where angled, the rode was trying to lift the finger. A lift kit helped....that and another 25' of chain for a total of 45'. With my lift kit and the added weight of the chain to help seat the rode in the gypsy, I ain't had no problems. good luck
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
A lift kit helped....

You kids these days. Want to put a lift kit on everything. All that will do is chew up the u-joints and screw up the front end alignment. Besides, I have enough trouble getting in the damn boat as it is.

My line is running a little uphill already from the roller and the windlass is the exact profile as the one that was on there for the last 11 years. The weight of more chain would probably help but I didn't need that for the last eleven years either. I'll try to do the long splice myself since I got nothing else to do anymore, and then when I get frustrated with trying to shove the rope through the little loops I'll haul it all into Englund Marine and see what they can do.

Or maybe the Lewmar guy will send me a new one since I told him I was going to rat them out on the internets. If worse comes to worse B~C, I can have you go to Delta Park West Marine and get me one of your super deals on a new bucket of rope.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Thanks Dave! The thought had crossed my mind to take it to Englund. Now I know who to ask for. What about their shop over here in Warrenton? What goes on in there?

I could also get Sturgeon Paul to direct me to a local expert, I'm sure. He's kind of a knothead himself.
LOL. All the characters live in Warrenton, I guess.

That EM outfit in Warrenton Is their raft shop only. The two guys who work there know dry suita aka survical suits, rafts, EPIRBs, etc., anything related to survival. The cable shop on Pier 3 is where the splicing guys hang out. There is a new guy in training. Not sure if he could help
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so I followed the instructions I linked to, incomplete as they were, and did the lace the rope thru the chain links splice. It will lift the back of my old Ford pickup without slipping and it goes thru the gypsy real good so it the old splice has been cut off. My splice is kind of ugly, hence no pictures, but it is slightly above knothead quality so it's back in service.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
]...........did the lace the rope thru the chain links splice. ..............

That's what I did when I had problems with my Quick 500 windlass and three-strand rope and chain. I developed my own spice with two of the three strands braided forward though the chain and sewn at each crossing through about eight-ten lengths, and the third strand braided backward through the rope itself. (See photo below.)

There isn't any way you can splice a rope doubling back through itself and not have it bigger at first than the original rope, with gradually tapered strands or otherwise.

I also increased the spring pressure on the gypsy finger (called the Fleming), and went to 100 feet of chain up front so most anchoring occurs without even using the rope section.

On Edit: I also made a wired remote up and down control that I could pass up through the front hatch and operate the windlass from the fore deck without having to go back and forth to the helm when clearing debris, mud, fouls, stuck anchors, etc.

Live and learn (and improvise!) Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Click on image above for several explanation photos.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe said,

Quote:
On Edit: I also made a wired remote up and down control that I could pass up through the front hatch and operate the windlass from the fore deck without having to go back and forth to the helm when clearing debris, mud, fouls, stuck anchors, etc.

Live and learn (and improvise!) Laughing

Hi Joe. I thought about that this summer. Do you have that written up or pictures anywhere? I'm thinking that might be a really good upgrade idea. Idea

It might let me go forward and watch and wash on retrieval, instead of just spinning the boat in crazy circles to wash the chain and anchor when I retrieve.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: