View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThumbsUp

City/Region: Reno
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Thumbs Up
Photos: Thumbs Up
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Auto Pilot with unbalanced RAM Reply with quote

Any CBrats using an Auto Pilot on twin outboards with an unbalanced steering RAM? My steering RAM is an 'unbalanced' Seastar HC5370. The unbalance RAM requires more hydraulic fluid to turn the motors in one direction vs. the other which can create a problem with autopilots. Of course I discover this after installation Sad The engines come up about one turn short of center when I complete the auto pilot commission. My fault for not doing my homework BEFORE starting this project. Uggggh Need to find a workaround/solution which is why I'm turning to the pros (Cbrats)

I contacted SeaStar this morning and they suggested a HC 5348-3 hydraulic steering RAM which is a balanced front mount RAM. I just don't think there is enough room in the splash well for a front mounted steering RAM for twin engines. CDory splash wells don't offer much room.

I tricked the auto pilot and instead of going hard to port, stopped short about two turns. The engines did return to center but I am hoping there is a better solution than this.

Should have done more homework before I purchased and installed all of this expensive equipment Confused

Any thoughts/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thumbs Up
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have twin 40 Yamis, (and love them) and have SeaStar Auto pilot driven by a Raymarine Ev1, I have no idea if it is balanced or not, but it works to get me out and back, always. I turned 1000 hours on the boat and systems this summer and the SeaStar has developed a fluid leak. That is being addressed presently, and should be back to perfect soon.

Good luck with your quest. BTW, I like the twin 50's too.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello TU,

Tell us the make/model of your AP.

Does the maker of your AP offer a configuration for unbalanced situation?

My immediate thought is that there should be a software solution for unbalanced systems. All that means is that the AP must "know" there are MORE turns in one direction than the other. I currently have a Raymarine EV200 and my recollection was that I taught it the 'center' position then it learned where hard right and left where by doing it's own setup procedure.

There's GOT to be a way!

dave
ThumbsUp

City/Region: Reno
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Thumbs Up
Photos: Thumbs Up
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autopilot is a Lowrance NAC 1. Lowrance tier one support wasn't very helpful, tier two support was more helpful but couldn't come up with a solution.

The Lowrance AP splits the difference between hard over port and hard over starboard. With an unbalanced steering Ram, the engines won't retun to center because it takes more hydraulic fluid to turn port vs starboard.

Hopefully I can't find a solution without having to get a new balanced steering ram. I'll update this post as the project continues.

Good luck with your fluid leak Sleepy C!

Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: