The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bilge water?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Bilge water? Reply with quote

Need help with troubleshooting water problem. Last trip a month ago we had no problems hauled boat to Lake Erie. Boat sat at wet slip since we returned,about a month. This weekend we went there I could hear water sloshing in rear of boat,took off 4inch cover and water was up to top of hole.Stuck raw water washdown in hole sucked water out of there.Guessing 15 gal give or take 5 gallon came out. When I hit cabin bilge nothing pumped out maybe pump is more forward? So then I poured water to check if new stern bilge pump was working it turned on and pumped when level got a couple inches back there. I checked plug was not leaking. We have cockpit roof up ,so I thought between that, and stern bilge, rain would not be a problem. Before we left I think water was coming back about 1/8 inch in hole. So was it rain water or where could there be a leak? I called guy that installed new stern pump ,told him about problem ,hope he finds problem on Monday. We never had this before,is it uncommon to find water in the stern area when you remove the big round cover? Maybee I need a pump in that hole? Most important is to find leak if there is one. Really not sure whats going on,had to return for work so im counting on boatyard mechanic to find out ,if it fills up again then theres a leak ,where should we check for leaks? Thanks
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your issue, check Pacific Wander album for ideas. Several Ventures had water issues in '07-'08
Do you have factory washdown pump? This was poorly installed in Pacific Wanderer and was leaking into the hull.
Rubrail leaks perhaps? Good luck
George
Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks George ,will look at his album. Hope to have an answer this week.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Bilge water? Reply with quote

The thru hull was removed and glassed over. We used to get some water under the inspection cover areas from condensation. Normally a towel would take care of it. I would say it probably is rain water coming in either at the rub rail,water fill, or where the bow rail is fastened.
D.D.

Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, wife reminded me that we had a lot of rain on our Erie trip,so hoping that's it. A lot of rain trailering home. Talked to mechanic this morning,he said not much rain in last month in Ithaca,so must have been ride home and didn't notice it. Anyone familiar with where cabin bilge is located guess its forward quite a bit? When I first tried it to pump water out nothing came out,guess all the water was in stern. Next season will leave zipper sides on at Erie dock to shed more water, just using roof cover allows too much water into cockpit.
Will-C

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Bilge water? Reply with quote

The cabin pump is just inside the door where the water tank is located. Just open the door and look down. There is a high water alarm test button near the 120 volt outlet right beside the starboard side of the helm seat. The sensor for that is in the cabinet under the sink and forwards a little. I never had it go off. The wife used to bump it occasionally unplugging the coffee pot.
D.D.
Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave , mechanic called yesterday said he cant find anywhere that water is getting in,he said maybe a little thru trim tabs. So im guessing that we really got loaded with rain water on trip home from Erie. Being in a hurry just tied up boat and left. Got concerned when there was that much water in there. I wanted to remove plug on way home from Erie but never got around to it,guess you learn something at every turn in owning a boat.Was thinking rear bilge pump would get rid of water. My usual boat guy near home doesn't work on Yamahas go figure,so we found a recomended guy by airport in Ihtaca . Going to get it winterized oil change and lower unit oil changed. Im going to winterize holding tank ,sink,raw water wash down before leaving it there incase weather gets bad. Another guy gave me a price of $150 a linear ft for 4 or5 coats of barrier paint and I think 3 of bottom paint. I didn't have time to check if that was a reasonable price?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another guy gave me a price of $150 a linear ft for 4 or5 coats of barrier paint and I think 3 of bottom paint. I didn't have time to check if that was a reasonable price?

Does the boat already have bottom paint on it? If so, and you are storing the boat 6 months out of the year, I would not recommend putting a barrier coat on the bottom.

The price is not far off, considering that old bottom paint has to be removed, and then the hull coated with several barrier layers, and then at least 3 of bottom paint.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Will-C

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Bilge water? Reply with quote

Larry,
Marc at Wefings just did our new 27' boat in April for $2040. It included a couple coats of barrier coat epoxy and bottom paint, price $2040. I would find out what the guy is purposing to use. Brand names and specific products. You then should take advantage of the knowledge here to see if he is using the right product for your intended use. If your not going to do much salt water that may make a difference in the products that should be used. Our current boat is the first boat we have ever owned that had bottom paint. I just relied on Marc's knowledge as I do not know a lot about the different types of bottom paint.
D.D.
Will-C

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Bilge water? Reply with quote

duplicate post
Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Bob no bottom paint on boat now,you suggest no barrier coat? Dave seems like good price wish I was near Mark at Weffings then you know your getting quality work at fair price.Guy said to research and choose what ever paint I want. Johnsons Boat Yard in Ithaca is where estimate is from.He said research blistering because boats kept in water cant be guaranteed not to have some happen? Not sure if that's true?He said he would strip and sand before any painting. So I was going to ask what thoughts everyone had? Boat has been in a wet slip all season but will be stored under metal shed with cover and some heat. I plan to mostly keep boat at Lake Erie next season,but in next couple years plan to do some saltwater trips also. We are thinking of maybe going to Liberty Harbor for 4th of july ,that would be next seasons schedule.Maybee Carolina loop or some other C-Dory gathering. What suggestions for bottom paint for salt and freshwater? Got name of guy in Jersey from Hull Truth I think Cape May he is highly recommended might haul it there also going to call for price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: