The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Best Practice to come to terms between Buyer and Seller

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pierrelesperance

City/Region: Naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EVERGREEN
Photos: EVERGREEN
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Best Practice to come to terms between Buyer and Seller Reply with quote

I am selling my 2003 22FT Cruiser C-Dory and was wondering how to conclude a transaction with the buyer via C-Brats that protects both of us. I am hoping to benefit from the experience and wisdom of members of who sold or bought a C-Dory on C-Brats. Thank you, Pierre
msgchef

City/Region: Washington
State or Province: NC
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My transaction with Ray for Seaweed was very easy and flawless.
We wrote up an initial receipt for a deposit to hold the boat dependent on a survey and sea trial. I scheduled a survey, in this case only a power review of the engine. I did not have to worry about getting financing, but did allow for a time frame to get access to the cash and we wrote that in our initial agreement. After the survey and sea trial went well, we agreed on a closing date, Ray provided copies of all titles to boat and trailer. He wrote up a more formal Bill of Sale, easily found online and listed all the Pertinent Vin #'s and a list of all included equipment. Ray actually delivered Seaweed to my home on the agreed date, exchanged Cashiers check for Boat, Docs, Equipment. Other than my own registration of boat and trailer and paying tax on the trailer only, getting insurance, we were good to go. I think buying from a C-Brat owner directly also gave me a sense of comfort in knowing I had both a community and an owner who loved his boat and post purchase he was enthusiastic about answering questions that inevitably come up as you stick your head in the nooks and cranny of your new treasure.
Paul

But the best ships, are friendships,
And may they always be."

2015-2018 Seaweed
dave

City/Region: Riverview
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a very easy time selling my boat on the site. When you do sell your boat, don't forget Tyboo.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main way to protect both parties is to allow and expect the seller to sea trial and get a survey. I'd highly recommend a survey and indicate that while you know of no problems, the boat sale is "as is". That way you are making no particular representations to the buyer other than age, equipment and engine hours. If you have maintenance records and other logs, let the buyer see those. Good maintenance records will set his/her mind at ease. On your end of the deal, a cashier's check - hopefully drawn from a bank in your presence - is the way to go. I mention that latter since I have heard of cases of fraudulent cashier's checks. It's best if the check is from a bank in your area and then you can go to the bank verify the check is legit and complete the deal at the bank. IMO, that's the safest way to go. See this link for info about fraudulent cashier's checks.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been quite a while, but about 5 years ago, I was looking into selling/buying and BoatUS had an escrow type service, if I remember right, that protected both the buyer and seller. I have been a member there so I don't remember if that was a requirement for the service or not, but one could peruse the BoatUS web site and find that service if it is still available.

A call to them at 800-245-BOAT (2628), or https://www.boatus.org/contact/
would sort that out.

When I bought SleepyC, it was not listed on this site. I sent a check overnight, to signify I was a serious buyer, and then the details were sorted out, paper work exchanged, price determined, cashiers check sent and title returned. It only had 80 hours on it and it was only a few miles from my home.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: