The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/04 - 03/06 - St. John's River, Florida 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me Casey. Dave, it was my "wondering" suggestion. I'm really looking forward to the gathering. I've never been in that area, other than Disney World, and I'm looking forward to getting the boat out of "cold" storage early! Just praying we don't have some major storms come thru that make traveling with boat in tow not a good idea! Keeping my fingers crossed that I can get there by Wednesday evening or first thing Thursday and get a good spot! Cool COlby
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey has it right on the money! WE WILL MAKE IT WORK! Hontoon Island State Park is the ONLY Marina in the area that can possibly have room for us. They are going to move their boats off the docks and make sure we have an end dock so that rafting is possible..... IF NEEDED. The staff at Hontoon are the greatest! Another small marina is just across the river that has some slips available if anyone desires. That is Hontoon Landing Resort and Marina 386 734-2474 @ $50 a night plus tax there. $20 plus tax at Hontoon...less if you are a Florida resident....$10 plus Tax.

So Colby...... just stay out of the Winter Storms and get your butt....that is BOAT down here.

Safe Trip....Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
BJ28

City/Region: Amelia
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: De De
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello C-Brats.. Hoping you all don't mind a boat that is not a C-Dory. We some times confuse people. We came into Hontoon Island last year just after your St. Johns River get together on a side trip of our Great Loop journey. We were welcomed by Lisa and Randy on Dunworkin, Judy and Rich on Ynot and Hank and Pat on Mari Aura.. After close inspection of our Bluejacket 28 they thought we would fit in and invited us to return this year. Just an overgrown C-Dory. To help fit in to your group we will add a "C" to our boat name... De De... We are also a trailer able boat powered by an outboard. Hopefully we can find a slip to slide into. Diane and I will try to make the scene mid-week. Any thing else we should know, please send it on.. .
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: The Great Hontoon CBGT Reply with quote

I sent this by PM to everyone on the sign up list. If you did not get it read it here. If your plans have changed and you are not attending let us know ASAP.

Greetings C-Brats Please Read Carefully!
Time for further information about our Third Hontoon Island CBGT for Special C-Brats.
Preliminary Schedule :
Early arrivals are encouraged.

IMPORTANT…Signing up guarantees you may attend the gathering. It does not guarantee you a slip. Last year we had 21 boats and there were lots of slips available. This year it looks like we may fill up. With everyone’s cooperation it will work out.
You may arrive any time before the gathering. Most will get there on Thursday or before. This will be “on your own time”. Go for a cruise, hike the island, rent a kayak or just chill out with fellow C-Brats. Just make sure you pay for your slip for the full time you plan on staying. We should have full docks. If you wish to anchor out, you may do so and we will do our best to get you to a dock during the day or raft up, but I do encourage everyone to join us in staying with the group on the docks . Please…shallow draft boats pick a slip near the shore. All docks are floating docks. Most will have to back into the slips as anchors are prohibited over docks. You may of course remove your anchor. If you have a challenge with this…. like I do, please wait for assistance especially when another craft is in an adjacent slip. (Bring extra fenders) Slips have water and 30 amp power. NO WIFI!

FRIDAY, March 4, 2016: Continued arrivals. We can pay to hold a slip for a friend a day ahead. So if you cannot arrive early, contact me so that arrangements are made with the park to keep a slip for you. Thanks.
The Park may have music from 2Pm till 4Pm. This is outside our control but we have heard the style of music they have and it was not a problem.
DINNER at 5:15 Pm
Bring Dish to Pass at 4:45Pm
This is one of two official “Pot Lucks” with Burgers , Hot Dogs ,buns and condiments provided. Bring a generous dish to pass. In the past we have had a fine variety of salads, deserts and vegetables. We will have bottled water on hand but no soda this year. If anyone wants veggie burgers let us know at the sign up table.

CAMPFIRE after dusk: Bring your chairs and enjoy popcorn, the company and stories of fellow C-Brats.

SATURDAY, March 5, 2016: In the morning we will have some practical boating and historical speakers make presentations. Schedule will be posted on the C-Brats web site as we get closer to the gathering.
DINNER at 5:15 PM
Second “Pot Luck” with Chicken and Biscuits with condiments and “real butter”! Chicken will be here and ready to eat at 5:15 PM

CAMPFIRE after dusk: Bring your chairs and enjoy popcorn, the company and stories of fellow C-Brats.

SUNDAY March 6, 2016: Say goodbye to those that need to depart. Some C-Brats will be traveling on with others, some by themselves and some may stay at Hontoon for a day or so. I will be staying till Monday and start north then. In the past, we have had leftover group dinner on night Sunday to use up any extra food and that’s what we plan to do again with a campfire afterwards.

SOME OTHER THOUGHTS:
All other meals are 100% on your own. You may come and go as you please. Feel free to cruise north or south as you wish. A chart is posted on the Island and they usually have some for sale. If you are new, there will be plenty of “old timers” that can show you the way.
When you sign up at Hontoon Island there will be a volunteer sheet to help with activities.
We use channel 72 on the river and at the docks…be sure you are on frequency.

Recommended things to bring: Summer and Winter clothing, insect repellent, a big golf umbrella in case of rain , a folding chair and a sense of humor!
I will be making food runs to Deland daily and can take a few others with me

We have a free will offering for the meals we put together.
The staff at Hontoon Island are some of the nicest people around and they will bend over backwards to help us. We in turn have helped them by donating any money left over after our actual expenses to their improvement fund. A 50/50 raffle is also done on Friday and Saturday evening to help the park. The fees we pay for the slips go to the State of Florida. The park gets wages and about $30,000 from the state per year for everything else. Without donations from others like us it would be impossible to improve and maintain. There is a Camp Store on the Island that also supports improvements. Nuff said!
Looking forward to making new and reuniting with current friends. I kind of look at this SBGT as the old fashioned “Rendezvous ” that the mountain men had…..without the ax throwing competition.

BE SURE TO WATCH THE C-BRAT link for the gathering for further information.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thisaway/thataway, Marie will bring a Chocolate Cake, with Chocolate Pecan icing for Friday Night.
Saturday, we will have a potato salad.

I thought that since there are going to be so many boats, that it might help if at least the early posters relate what they will bring--and it might even out the types of pot luck vitals...the later signers can fill in the cracks....

I have started reading River of Lakes, and St. Johns River Guide book. I also have printed out the NOAA Charts for the river, (Free on line)

I also have the now pricey (I paid about $20 for it years back) "Boating and Cruising Guide to St. John's River" by Tom Kranz (which also has main sections of the NOAA charts, but not the lateral rivers.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife said she'd fix some sort of salad for me to bring and share... Colby
dwggideon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Cell Phone service at Hontoon Reply with quote

How reliable is the cell phone service at the marina. I have AT&T, but I am sure CBrats with other carriers would be interested. With no wifi, it would be nice to be able to set up a hot spot on a phone.
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D & M I saw your consern over cell coverage. For over a year now I have relied on the
"Wilson electronics 4G kit" $199 found it on Amazon like every thing else. I lost a weel bearing two weeks ago traveling from Mt Dora to Astor Fl only 40 or so miles apart but when you travel thru the Ocala forest signal drops off. So I climed on board got my Wilson and called AAA, if I had not had my booster I would have had a much longer day if you know what I mean. I've taken my boat from Hontoon to Savannah Ga and the booster always gave me signal in a drop out area.
I'll do fire Fri night and speak about the Ocklawaha R in the morning so visit me if you care to see the Wilson or just make a call if you are having trouble. PS I'm ATT as well

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimicliff wrote:
D & M I saw your consern over cell coverage. For over a year now I have relied on the
"Wilson electronics 4G kit" $199 found it on Amazon like every thing else. PS I'm ATT as well

I have an older Wilson full size amp, in the RV (and boat)-and I understand I will have to upgrade for G4, (Which I will really need at Hooton, "just in case"--plus some business).

I have the older larger boat antenna with radials. I understand that the Wilson Sleek, and the WeBoost (a subsidiary of Wilson) use a 4" antenna--for the higher frequency of the 4G. Do you know if the older marine antenna will work well with the Sleek"

What antenna are you using? I can always use the 4" with a pie tine....

Thanks,
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, talk about service--Wilson and WeBoost, their subsidiary is really on the ball! I asked several questions about using the newer WeBoost (about the same as the Sleek, but has a wider cradle for the i phone( 6 up to 3.1")

Yes, the marine antenna will work. The 4" antenna is better for G4, but the regular marine antenna will also work.

The tech answered several of my other questions about the older amp I have, and offered to send me a marina antenna--thinking that I did not have one already.

Some of the best service I have had on the internet.
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cell service at Hontoon Island on Verizon has been OK for me in the past. ATT has been so so. If you need speed you may want to use a booster. The marina across the river (Hontoon Landings) has WIFI on their property and some slips available if needed. I do not use a lot of data but check email and a few web pages everyday on Verizion. No problem last year. I'll be at the park next week and check it out again.

More in a few days ....Tom
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how US Cellular might work? At least for cell service?
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few additional notes...

First: To all the C-Brats attending the St. John's River Gathering at Hontoon State Park,

Those of you who have gathered in the past are aware that the C-Brats have generously supported the Hontoon State Park. This year we'd like to try an additional fundraiser in the form of a Silent Auction. Nothing fancy, just check your boat and see if there is something on board that you haven't used for quite some time and might prove useful to someone else. Those of you who are "Crafty" might wish to contribute a bit of your artistry. We'll set the auction up on Saturday, times still to be determined.
Pat Clow, 1st mate on Meri Aura will be running this. Now.....what odds and ends do I have on the C-Otter?

Second:I sent a PM to everyone that is attending the CBGT. Only about half opened their copy. This summer it took me a few months to notice that I did not open one that was sent to me! My bad!

Third:There is a separate food sign up list on Brats web site. Let us know what you are bringing to the potlucks and tantalize our taste buds.

Forth:There is still time to order C-Brat name badges from by friend Ken. Info is in the C-Otter folder. I will bring the ones that have been ordered to the CBGT at Hontoon.

Colby: I will "interrogate" the park staff about US Cellular next week at Hontoon.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question I keep forgetting to ask. Is it worth bringing a bicycle along? Colby
Kelliot

City/Region: Lanexa, VA (on Chickahominy River)
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Name Tags Reply with quote

Tom,
Please go ahead and get each of use one please.

Ken Elliot
Sharon Elliot
25' C-Dory Cruiser
Sea Angel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: