The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/04 - 03/06 - St. John's River, Florida 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby: Rather than a "seminar" we can ask those that are interested in"experimenting" to get together, share and test. Would that work for you?
Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I think that would be a great idea. We can talk all about it, but until folks get at the radio and actually play with it, well that's when we'll really learn! Colby
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: MMSI Reply with quote

I was just taking a refresher powerboat Squadron course and MMSI came up . My radio must be an antique it does not have the DSC or MMSI capability .Another thing to buy for the Boat . I have been neglecting my boat and putting energy into RVing it hard to keep both up .It will be interesting to find out more info on the MMSI phone up friends feature . I'm hoping to have a new radio by the Gathering . BTW my wife joined me in that class and said why don't we have that kind of Radio ? I think thats a get it permission slip .
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: gathering Reply with quote

I just checked trailer wiring and its a go and put on two new tires last year put on 2 new ones in rear .So we should be good to go Hopefully leaving weds morning and launching thur AM Jim
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone wanting help on getting their DSC set up should be sure to obtain an MMSI number, program it into their VHF radio before the gathering, and post the number to the c-brats web site so that others can program it into their call directories. Also, be sure to bring your VHF and chartplotter owner manuals. If you are having difficulty figuring out how to program the MMSI number into your VHF radio, just bring the number and owner manuals along, and someone can help you with the programming. If your VHF or chartplotter came with data cables that you haven’t already connected, bring those along too.
You can get a free MMSI number from Boat U.S., which is valid for operation in U.S. waters, as follows:

1) Assemble emergency contact names and numbers, and vessel registration info.
2) Go to the Boatus.com website (you don’t have to be a boatus member)
3) Click on the “Membership”, “MMSI”, and “get new MMSI number” tabs
4) Enter your information and answer the questions
5) Write down your new MMSI number

It's that easy.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word of caution. When you enter your assigned MMSI number into your radio, make sure you get it right the first time. Most radios only allow you to input it once. If you make a mistake, you'll have to send the radio back to the manufacturer to reset it. The MMSI number I mentioned as a group number is not the one to enter as your own MMSI. It is only to be used in the group directory function of your radio! Colby
jjpeek1948

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Joyce & Bruce of Carpy Reply with quote

Some of you may have seen the post about Bruce Cassal passing away Feb. 5th. We had hoped to make it to this gathering. Our wedding reception was scheduled for March 12. Now instead, we'll have his "Celebration of Life" on March 12. He was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer last April & didn't live near as long as we had hoped. We were married Nov. 28, 2015.

Bruce's request to me was that some of his ashes be scattered on the St. Johns River. I'm seriously thinking about coming this year. I'll try to get a cabin on the island & then join you for activities & boat rides.
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with Joyce. She is going to try to join us on for the St. John's gathering. The campground is full but we have plenty of room on the C-otter for a guest so she can stay with us. I'll not be leaving the dock till the gathering is over. But I know many others will be available to take Joyce out for some boat rides. Bruce and the Carpy will be with us in spirit!

More later.....Tom and "the other Joyce"
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Less than 2 weeks to go! Reply with quote

To all......it will not be long till we gather at Hontoon Island State Park for our third gathering. We already have C-Brats cruising up and down river on the St. Johns. Just a few notes.

1)If you will NOT be attending and you have signed up please let me know by PM or here. We will be working hard to be sure that everyone gets a spot. You will surely want to arrive no later than Friday AM..... but Thursday would be better. Dock helpers will help direct boats to slips. Use "72". If you have special needs let them know. (don't worry James we will make every effort to save you the dog walking slip Dog )

2)No open alcohol on the docks or in the park during the day. Easy Fix....use a cup. After the last park boat leaves its OK at the camp fire.

3)No anchors over the dock! Most of us will back in. Bring extra fenders. If you need help (like I do!) when backing into an occupied double slip wait till dock helpers are in position. We all love our boats!

4)Silent auction is new this year.....find something on the boat or bring along items that you have not used in a long time to auction off at the Gathering. Proceeds will be donated to the park. Thanks

5)Saturday morning we have three...yes thats right....three incredibly talented speakers. First at 9am: Cliff Harbin will give us some history of the Ocklawaha river that joins into the St. Johns. Than at 10am: John Highsmith is going to share information on bottom painting your boat. Finally at 11am Bob Austin will be answering some popular C-Dory questions. Its going to be a great morning!

6)Maps of the St. Johns are availiable at the camp store on Hontoon Island.

Till next time....Tom and Joyce
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited and chomping at the bit to get down there. Midnight Flyer is out of it's back yard storage place, sitting next to the driveway ready to be hooked up. Ran the motor Thursday, and everything seems to be working fine. Loading it up with stuff that doesn't freeze! (While we had a heat spell go thru here yesterday with 50 degree temps, the week will see normals back in the 20's and 30's! Praying for no ice storms or major weather along the route down and back. My plans are to leave next Sunday and arrive late Tuesday or sometime first half of Wednesday. I have an old 3' SS whip VHF antenna I replaced a few months ago that I will be donating to the auction. It comes with at least 5' of cable and it's own rail mount.

For anyone that would like to experiment with their newer VHF-DSC radios, I am using MMSI 033832720 as the group code.

Please note that is NOT the number to enter into your own MMSI spot, but rather in the group listing. Please pull out your instruction manual before inserting it. As you only get one chance to enter your own boat's MMSI into your radio, and then would have to send the radio back to the manufacturer to reset that. Colby
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom....Had to chuckle at your comment about the slip, you must have been talking to Bill and Becky. We all know and agree that it's best the crew of the Molly Brown stays way, way over there, out of the way ! Smile

Colby....I see that BJ28 is a ham radio operator. Maybe since he is the only non Brat boat we can convince him to impart some knowledge and experience. How 'bout it Henry ? My vintage 2001 radio is now programmed with our MMSI. It only took a decade and a half !

This should be an interesting gathering. We have some "famous" people attending and I'm looking forward to meeting the "real" folks behind all the posts. Been a Brat since the Dogs days and I count 19,000 posts by all the attendees. I suspect I've read most, if not all over the years.

To the group.....I'm looking for anyone that has ventured up the Econlockhatchee River. Econ for short. It's just off Puzzle Lake on the southern end of the St.Johns in an area most don't venture to because of depth and lack of charts, not to mention airboats. Please find me at the gathering if you have any useful information.

I never had a name badge made, and regret it already, again. Sure looks like we going to need them!! Out of state boats look to outnumber Florida boats again too. Tom and Joyce have become "over achievers". Lucky for me I'm married to one as well. Proof positive that opposites attract.
Embarassed

James

Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James.....I can still get you some badges and you can pay me for them at the gathering. Just need the information on the order blank in the C-otter album. You can email me a copy....or give me a call. I have a bunch to deliver.
Henry on the Bj28 sent me a PM this AM that his wife Diane had an injury but while she is recovering it's difficult for her to get around the boat. They will not be attending this year but plan for next year.
No information from me on anything south of HW 46 but the water is high on the St. John's so who knows.
MMSI? It took me four years to find "72"...........

The number still grows....two more boats want to sign up since 7am today......

Tom
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have some of the plastic holders for temporary hand made "badges", and will bring those.

Looking forward to being there and meeting all!

Bob and Marie

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob ....we have purchased temporary name tag holders for anyone who needs one at the gathering but thanks for thinking of us. Some of us just like the permanent ones. See you soon. Tom
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, how's fishing on the St. Johns, particularly in the Hontoon Park area. I have some fishing gear on my boat, but if I don't need it, I'll just take if off to give myself a little more "kitchen" space under the sink. Not even sure what a Fl License cost anyways. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: