View previous topic :: View next topic  
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: 2015 Columbia river fall chinook Reply with quote

4 days, 4 limits of Chinooks around St Hellens, the fish are here. The kid and I have been having a blast trolling spinners on the incoming tide. While the hog line boats are sitting on anchor waiting for the tide to start to run out, and yelling at each other, we're trolling by and netting fish right next to them....we netted our last fish one day about 15' from one of my brother-in-laws that was anchored up and waiting, it doesn't get any better than that.....the next day he rode with us

I see another C-Dory running around on the river, is it a Brat ?

RogerJuntunen

City/Region: Rupert, ID
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: In Cahoots - Idaho
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: c-brat in St Helens Reply with quote

In Cahoots is in dry storage at Saint Helens and I'm hoping to get it in the water in ten days. I'll be around the marina when I'm Not baby sitting while our son and his wife float the middle fork of the Salmon Roger
RogerJuntunen

City/Region: Rupert, ID
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: In Cahoots - Idaho
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Bait or lures? flashers? weight? Reply with quote

Hey blue C- what type of fishing rigs are you using, if you don't mind sharing the info. I've fished a bit around the area myself some,. I used to fish up by Fred's marina and left my boat there, but now I like St. Helens better in all respects. There is a C-Dory (22) named Skinflint that moors at Fred's on the Multnoma. Thanks, Roger
B~C

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Roger, I'll keep an eye out for ya. When/if you get over here I'll mainly working over the river up from Warrior rock where the regulations are a bit more generous
I've been running a 3' dropper line on a slider on the main line for lead & then off the snap swivel a standard Bouy ten spinner trolling rig, a flasher and a Tee spoon, or simular, spinner.

tight lines
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be down on the river (at the mouth) on Wed. with my former student from Thailand. He's never fished before. I plan to go around the corner and fish kings and coho off of Long Beach.
Ranger

City/Region: Port orchard
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I reading the regs right?

Sept. 8-Sept. 14: release wild
CHINOOK. Sept. 15-Sept. 30: release all CHINOOK.

is this the entire area or just downstream of the Warrior Rock Line ?

I have always wanted to fish down there I might have to make a run this weekend.
B~C

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be fun Roger, aint nothing better than getting somebody hooked up to their first fish.

Ranger, below the Warrior Rock the Regs jump around in an attempt to help protect the Tules in the lower river. Above the Warrior Rock line you can continue to fish your brains out. If you make it down this way look us up
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to learn all these terms and techniques for "river fishing". Hog line boats? Blast trolling? WHAT?!?!?!

I'm a salt water guy; have been all my life. Even the sloooooowwwwww trolling for salmon in the Sound was weird to me, along with the down-riggers required. I'm used to fast trolling w/ surface gear or diving plugs and outriggers; tuna, marlin, mahi-mahi, ono etc. But with our move down south to Clark County post-retirement, the big C river will be just down the road. Cool

B~C

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"blast trolling" is when you take a stick of dynamite and set the fuse to give you enough time to get it down deep with sufficient distance from the boat before she blows unlike "having a blast trolling" which involves having intense fun while dragging fishing lures behind the boat Smile

Hog lines are lines of boats that are anchored up almost gunnel to gunnel with fishing gear working in the outgoing current. If you get good folks around you they can add a level of fun to the day, but, there quite a few A-holes that are just looking for folks to yell at and cuss for not being in line properly, to close or for whatever hog line anchoring offense they can think up.
Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I can make it down for some fishing Friday. What is a good ramp to use I have been to the one in kalama with John F from TBD seemed pretty descent. Also I have never fished here nor trolled like this before how fast do you go, how much weight is preferred , water and lure depth, flasher colors, lure colors? I have only fished salmon with a diver, silver flasher and a hoochie with some type of bait on it. Always off the California coast and last weekend in the sound for the first time (always been a bass fisherman). I am going to try to make it down Friday morning ( with a tackle stop) and possibly stay and fish Saturday morening. Ill send a message when I get there.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark, Good to see you here. Good luck with the catching. Ken knows what he is doing.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
"blast trolling" is when you take a stick of dynamite and set the fuse to give you enough time to get it down deep with sufficient distance from the boat before she blows...<snip>

We euphemistically refer to those as 'DuPont spinners'.

B~C

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those Dupont spinners work pretty good. I helped blow up a few beaver dams years back, fish don't like that stuff.

Harvey, I beat your head against a wall long enough and eventually got a hole in it.

Ranger, I think Ridgefield would work better (bring $8 to launch though). The channel out of Ridgefield plops you out right at Warrior Rock so you can fish either area. The area around the mouth of the Lewis is fishing good but you have to release native fish, I'm going to be fishing upriver to avoid hurting fish we can't keep. Friday's tide is outgoing in the a.m. so an anchor and wobblers would be a good play.

My tub is tied up in Ridgfield, if you want to meet me there friday morning I'd be glad go over some charts and loan you some gear.

later
ken
Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, That would be great we are staying in the Toutle river RV park tonight and we will be at the Ridgefield ramp Friday morning. Staying at Mc Cuddy's marina in Ridgefield Friday night so we can fish Saturday morning before we head home. We are going to pick up some spinners and wobblers on the way down so hopefully we have what we need. Never river fished (except for bass in the California delta) so I will take all the advice I can get.

Harvey, Good to hear from you. I still have your finder. I hope that's not to much of a burden. I have an excuse to head up your way in my boat, but let me know if you ever come my way. We have been exploring our local waters getting more comfortable with the boat. Friday Harbor is still our longest adventure and the first time out for the wife.

Mark
B~C

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a rough estimate on the ramp ETA I'll make sure I'm down at the boat. The boat is parked up the river from the ramp right on the main float that parallels the shore.
We went up river this afternoon and was 1 for 2 , the bro-in-law spent the day below the Lewis and ended up releasing 2 native kings

later
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: