The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hydraulic Fluid for Seastar/Baystar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic Fluid for Seastar/Baystar Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried the Mil H5606 hydraulic fluid in their steering? It's about 1/4 the price of the SeaStar hydraulic fluid, and is on the list of approved substitutes.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost is attractive, but because the seals on our steering systems leak over time, red dye in the (white gelcoated (which is porous)) splashwell would not be fun to deal with.
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:
The cost is attractive, but because the seals on our steering systems leak over time, red dye in the (white gelcoated (which is porous)) splashwell would not be fun to deal with.

But the dye will also make it easier to spot leaks when they occur.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uses Mil-H-5606 for years. Actually it's the same fluid that SeaStar uses. I've mentioned it a couple of times, but no one seems interested (except you.)

When I got Journey On, both Mil spec and SeaStar were red, then SeaStar started selling a version of MIL-H-5606 without the dye. The military uses the dye to spot leaks. SeaStar doesn't use dye so they can charge more.

I've had a SeaStar hydraulic system now for 10 years and it's never leaked. Except out of the breather hole when I've overfilled it, due to change from cold to hot weather. So, if a SeaStar steering leaks, I'd find the source of the leak and fix it. If you don't, it's a long walk home.

Mil-H-83282 is the replacement for Mil-H-5606. It's fire retardant, among other improvement. Haven't needed any yet. A gallon of Mil-H-5606 has lasted for years and costs the same as a quart of SeaStar fluid. I use a small Motive Products pressure bleeder to bleed the system.

Boris
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip on the Mil-H-5606 hydraulic fluid. Good to have some on hand. In some places it is not so easy to obtain. Fortunately, when I had a leak develop, I was with George on KerriOn, and he, being a well planning and experienced mariner, had the experience to know what I needed and needed to do.
Thanks to George and to the "Sinbad" skipper who had a spare bottle in his stock. Saved me a trip from Pierre's Echo Bay lodge to Port McNiel, which would have been at least a full day, or an day and over night, depending on the timing.

There was a leak, and it was do to a loose nut. Since that has been addressed, the leak has stopped, but the bottle of SeaStar fluid is still on board.

Good to know about the Mil-H-5606 and teh coloring and cost.

Thanks Boris.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
I've uses Mil-H-5606 for years. <snip> I use a small Motive Products pressure bleeder to bleed the system.

Boris

Boris, thanks for the tip on the bleeder. That makes things a lot easier and cleaner than turning the helm.

I believe I paid a bit over $30 for a gallon of 5606. Compared to $28.98 for a quart of SeaStar, I don't know why folks aren't jumping on it. We have a small airport nearby, so I just stopped at one of the maintenance companies and bought from them.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the procedure I used for bleeding Journey On's SeaStar, in excruciating detail. Actually it's not as hard as it sounds. Easier than bleeding brakes. OK, exactly the same as bleeding brakes.

Motive products Bleeder Model 0160

SeaStar filler kit. This includes a filler cap.

1. Attach filler cap to pressure line of the bleeder, securely.
2. Screw filler cap into helm pump.
3. Fill bleeder container with ~1/2 gallon of hydraulic oil.
4. At the outboard motor actuator, there are 2 ea bleed ports, covered with caps. Clean the caps/ports and remove caps. Attach a 2-3’ piece of plastic hose over the bleeder port outlets and lead them into the hydraulic oil can, which should be ½ full. You used the other ½ for the bleeder container.
5. Pump the bleeder until you get ~10 psi on the gauge.
6. Crank the motor hard over. The chrome actuator rod will stick out one side. Open the bleed valve, counterclockwise, and watch the fluid go through the hose into the can. You’re bleeding that side, because it has the smallest hydraulic cylinder volume. The piston is jammed up against the cylinder end. This gives you the best chance of removing air.
7. When almost all of the oil in the bleeder is used, shut off the bleed valve. If air is still coming out, transfer the contents of the catch can back into the bleeder and do it again. When no air comes out the bleed tuba on the actuator, you’re done.
8. Crank the engine over to the other side and bleed that side of the actuator.
9. Remove the pressure from the bleeder, remove the fill cap, re-install the bleeder caps and you’re through bleeding.
10. Using one of the bleed hoses, remove the excess oil from the helm pump/reservoir. Remove enough so you can start to see the pump. If it’s cold when you bleed, the oil will expand as it gets hot. If it’s how, the oil will contract when it gets cold. So check the level once in a while. If it gets too hot the oil will leak out through the cap vent so put some paper towels under the pump, for a while.

Boris
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the hydraulic advice Reply with quote

Great post. Thanks for the advice. I'm in the process of installing a baystar hydraulic system in my CD 16 and the tips are great.

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After developing a leak a couple of summers ago, I find it a good practice to care a spare bottle of the fluid of your choice with you on the boat, especially if you are going into remote cruising areas.

Just because it never leaked, doesn't mean it will never.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I put my autopilot in before last summer, I went to Aeroshell #41, which was available at our local airport's FBO for a lot lower in price than the Seastar fluid. It's also listed as an acceptable fluid by the hydraulic steering manufacturer. I've had no problems with it. And as pointed out, you can see any leaks easily. (I do get a little seepage during the cold winter.) I've had no problem with it staining the splash well. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a month ago, I ordered one gallon Phillips 66 X/C 5606A Aviation Hydaulic Fluid from Amazon. Cost was about $31, plus shipping. I had the gallon in the shop within 5 days. Sure beat the West Marine price of $29 plus tax! (plus I didn't have to drive to West Marine, and make some stupid impulsive buy!.

Now I have plenty to share with my C Brat friends whose systems are low on fluid.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Thanks for the tip. Is it OK to mix that fluid with the SeaStar fluid or would I need to have the Clear SeaStar fluid flushed out first?

And I have no doubt you would share some fluid with me if I ran into the same situation again, but we are about half a hemisphere away usually Laughing

Thank you for your generosity though.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they are both to the same milt spec, should be fine. I'll be using some to do the maintenance flush.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: fluids Reply with quote

I just bled my system and used the Sea star fluids but maybe having a red dye in would be beneficial to see if any of the seals were leaking The price seems right . this is the third time in 12 years bleeding this system
A few friends of mine have the World Cats and it seems their hydraulic systems go out and have to bleed more frequently ?

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a small airport near by with a fixed base operator, check with their maintenance department. I think the Aeroshell was around $20 for a gallon can. (I poured the can into a cleaned out plastic kerosene container and marked it appropriately.) I just remember I paid less for it, than the small quart of Sea Star fluid. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: