The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2003 yamaha f40 impeller change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: 2003 yamaha f40 impeller change Reply with quote

I have always done the maintenance on my outboards and I know I should do the impeller every year but they always look brand new so I do it every 2 years. My port yamaha overheated because it was not cooling and it ruined a day on the water. Luckily I have twins so getting easy was fine even though it was a slow 8-9 mph

Long story short, it was time to change the impellers on them anway. I removed the lower unit and I don't think it has had any maintenance done to it in at least 5 years. The expensive marine mechanic shop that charged the original owner (who I bought boat from) also had just went through the carbs on there recent servicing right before I bought the boat and those had issues as well. After talking to other boaters I find this place has a bad reputation.

What I found was a decent amount of corrosion which I have cleaned up. The impeller was broken into many pieces and overheated the actual housing (plastic) so now I"m waiting for that part to get here to finish job. And the worst part the drive shaft was worn down in a small section (about 1.5") which I"m wondering if its due to the broken impeller forcing the shaft to bend out and grind against motor walls where it is inserted.

Pics of the driveshaft are in my album labeled "Shaft 1, 2"

My questions are :

1. When reassembling the lower unit do most use loctite or a silicone sealant to the bolts? I have used both but wondering the better choice, or maybe something different?

2. Is that wear in the shaft something to be concnerned about? Is it most likeley from the reason I stated above?

Thanks all for your help. Always appreciated.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Yamaha mechanic (Twin 40's) says that the impeller needs to be replaced only every 300 hours. I have gone 3 seasons on one set, but now that I am using the boat more than a 100 per season it will be everyother year period.

I have no interest in coming home across Juan de Fuca on a single 40.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a side question

How often do you change the thermostats?

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

Wait - did you just say something non-glowing about twins?! Let me just run outside and see if the earth has gone off its axis Mr. Green
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use some blue loctite on the impeller housing, and marine grease on all other fasteners and shift linkage.

The main reason to change the impellers more often than every 300 hours is to prevent corrosion. If it's been years since the lower unit was cracked off for inspection and new impellers, the salt can make it nearly impossible to get the bolts out and the corrosion can form sort of a weld between the aluminum and steel bolts, as well as the upper and lower units once the bolts are removed. This can be a real problem if the primary use of the outboard is in saltwater. Since a new impeller kit is only around $25, it makes a lot of sense to do it more often to prevent that from happening.

I'm not sure how serious that wear is on the shaft. If it were me, I would put it back together with the new housing and see if its got a strong "pee". Hopefully it does.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We caught our own fishing line in our port side motor one winter day fishing for blackmouth. Water was a little rough so it didn't seem safe to take the prop off and clean all that stuff out of there.

We motored back on one engine at 6-7 knots through the waves, and probably took us around 3 hours to get back to where the truck and trailer was. It was absolutely miserable going that slow!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
hardee wrote:

Wait - did you just say something non-glowing about twins?! Let me just run outside and see if the earth has gone off its axis Mr. Green

Sorry folks, (Some of you noticed there was a PNW earthquake just then) and the earth is not too tilted.

NOT, not glowing about twins, In fact, if it came to coming home on a single, across Juan de Fuca, I'd much rather it be on a single 40 than on a 6-10. On a single 40 I'd at least have half my horses still standing in the harness.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I'd much rather it be on a single 40 than on a 6-10. On a single 40 I'd at least have half my horses still standing in the harness.

I hear you, although you'd have to change props to really "have" a single 40 properly pulling alone. Probably don't want to do that in the strait. I don't know what the HP equivalent is when it's propped as half of a set of twins though - I'd guess more than 6 but less than 40. It would be lugging some. Of course like a kicker, the idea is to get home or to safe harbor or anchorage, not to run at peak efficiency. I doubt the lugging would cause any issue for one trip home. I only mention it in case you didn't realize that the propping makes a difference and that you won't just instantly have "a single 40." I'm sure you could go faster than I could with my 5hp though Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: