The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tomcat - retail price
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbdba01

State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Tomcat - retail price Reply with quote

Anyone have a feel for

a) price - base model, no options, but include trailer on a 2015
b) number made per year for the last 5-10 years

Just curious as I possibly start "the quest".
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomcat - retail price Reply with quote

jbdba01 wrote:
Anyone have a feel for

a) price - base model, no options, but include trailer on a 2015
b) number made per year for the last 5-10 years

Just curious as I possibly start "the quest".

Rough guess's
1) $140-160k depending on how you rig it. But I could be off. I'm guessing the higher number is closer to correct.
2) In the last 3-4 years probably 1-5 total. In the 5-6 years s prior, I'd guess around 5-10/year. So not huge numbers.

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings has one on order. I would contact Marc
jbdba01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-4; thanks.

I guess the follow up would be how does that compare to the larger 25',26' CDories.

Both are up my alley, but the Tomcat really felt like a better fit for my lifestyle.

Regardless I'll call Marc.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys . I delivered one last year and know of a couple built . There is no published pricing, the dealers make that call based on our base cost and all the other things that cost money to make a boat happen [freight,rigging,electronics,trailer ,options etc......
We usually do it on a case [boat]by case [boat] basis. Base retail [its pretty well equipped as a stock boat] is in the 130k range .
Freight is a guess until you write the check to the trucker, electronics change like the weather , and a proper Tomcat trailer is a approaching 10k.
We have a few new options available as well , like dual water tanks and Magnum invertor/charger systems .
Lets talk !
Marc
Here is a photo album of the one we did last year .

chriscarrera

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Carrera
Photos: Carrera
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the tomcat, we love ours. The bed up front is huge and so is the cockpit. The stability is nice also.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All are great boats.
The TC255 is the epitome of a trailer-anywhere in the nation without a permit expedition quality cruising or fishing pocket yacht that can also serve as a campground RV enroute to anywhere at 60 MPH through a thunderstorm while getting 13 MPG with your HD diesel. Downsides are the higher cost for boat (lots more fiberglass), trailer and truck. However, your estate recoups some of this after you pass (happy thought of the day). Our surveyor said, "this boat is going to be around a lot longer than your two." And we're only 60 and in good shape.
You don't want to bust your family budget, but if it's close I agree get the TC. We will never, ever, ever go back to a monohull. Bust through some chop riding like its' on rails and you'll be sold.
Enjoy the hunt!
John

BrentB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other options are Cutwater and Ranger Tugs
just saying
rogerbum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentB wrote:
Other options are Cutwater and Ranger Tugs
just saying

Yes, but mission dependent. For fishing, especially offshore, the Tomcat is far superior to those two boats. For cruising, all are fine boats but the finish level of the tug or Cutwater is nicer.
jbdba01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I've looked at the Ranger 27, yet somehow I keep coming back to the TC. The last one on the For Sale forum was a steal.

The dual outboards and +30 knots is what appeals to me. Make those offshore trips very doable.

The piece I'm struggling with is the upgrade to a Superduty truck in addition to the TC. No way my F150 will pull the TC without blowing out something. So throw in another $25K+my trade in. So if you go new TC I'm in the $200K range.

With 1 in college and another on the way...it's a chunk of change no matter how you look at it. So it may take a bit to get there, but the journey may be the fun part.

The evil plan is to sell the behemoth of a house (and mortgage) I have; get something smaller on the water (free up a bunch of cash), and go from there. What will be in the back yard is still up for debate. Unfortunately I'm not independently wealthy...so it may take a bit with some compromising along the way.

The issue I see for the TC is lack of inventory on the used market. The larger CDories seem to pop up with more frequency. Hence the compromising...
BrentB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks I didnt see your main use of the boat. my mistake

Another suggestion is an used Parker 2520 or 2530. Both are pilot house and huge cockpits but spartan compared to TC. The 2530 has a larger roomier pilothouse, Many are outfitted with 250 to 300 hp OB and 120 gallon or larger gas tanks.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbdba01 wrote:
The piece I'm struggling with is the upgrade to a Superduty truck in addition to the TC. No way my F150 will pull the TC without blowing out something. So throw in another $25K+my trade in. So if you go new TC I'm in the $200K range.

My F-150 has no problem pulling the Tomcat. F150 Tow ratings go as high as 12000lbs, and with electric over hydraulic brakes I think my truck feels like it stops faster when pulling the Tomcat. Scale weight with half fuel was 9300 on a Float On trailer.

rogerbum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Float-on aluminum trailer makes a huge difference. Galvanized weighs another 1000lbs or so. I tow my tomcat with a Tundra sometimes (it's rated at 10,300#) towing and it has no problem pulling it but I did have to add air springs to handle the tongue weight. However, most of our towing is done with a Silverado 2500 which is a far more capable truck.
jbdba01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentB wrote:
ok thanks I didnt see your main use of the boat. my mistake

Another suggestion is an used Parker 2520 or 2530. Both are pilot house and huge cockpits but spartan compared to TC. The 2530 has a larger roomier pilothouse, Many are outfitted with 250 to 300 hp OB and 120 gallon or larger gas tanks.

Well...I do plan on a Great Loop trip as well. Keys are close enough for a 4-5 day outing, and the Bahamas are a quick drive across the state. So a trailerable livein is ideal. Ranger Tug would be ideal for that.

You can see I'm somewhat all over the map. However, being realistic, on a more frequent basis it would be a day/weekend tripper.

Good to see that an F150/Tundra can git 'er done. Mine has a lower towing capacity. So I figured, well...if I'm going to drive across the country I'll need a F250. Here in FL, I think the F150/Tundra would be OK. Again...kinda all over the place on this one.

I had a galvanized trailer a while ago...fortunately I won a local Redfish tournament and upgraded to a sweet Aluminum one.
BrentB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a 22 CD purchased soon will suffice snd get you on the water now and upgrade down the road

M2cw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: