HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C Dory cruiser 16

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyblack

City/Region: Fairbanks
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: C Dory cruiser 16 Reply with quote

Hi all, I am thinking of purchasing a 16 foot C Dory cruiser. Honda 50 4 stroke engine. Any thoughts. How does thos boat fare in 2/3 footers. Descent fishing boat? It's a 1998. Any ideas on prices. Thanks for any input
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: C Dory cruiser 16 Reply with quote

Skyblack wrote:
Hi all, I am thinking of purchasing a 16 foot C Dory cruiser. Honda 50 4 stroke engine. Any thoughts. How does thos boat fare in 2/3 footers. Descent fishing boat? It's a 1998. Any ideas on prices. Thanks for any input

As a fishing boat the 16' Angler model has more cockpit room to swing a rod or land a fish etc. I have one and it great for 2 people with rods -- 3 is pushing it unless their not fishing. 700 lbs for people and 1100 lbs total for all gear, motor and people. I would never go to the max thought. A 3 foot chop is about max on 4 to 5 sec wave intervals -- thats
all I will face into.
Geoff

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: c-dory cruiser 16 Reply with quote

We have 16 cruiser 16. 3 years ago we downsized from a 22 cruiser to the 16 as Ellen has had both knees replaced and we wanted a boat I could single hand if need be. The 16 fills that need. We just returned from the Grand Slam at Yellowstone, and had one rough afternoon with about 3 footers and a lot of wind on the port front quarter, and the occasional water over the bow. The pace was slow, about 7 mph, and the ride a bit rough but at no time did we fell threatened about capsizing or losing control, and neither Ellen nor I got sick. In one way, I think the ride is a little smoother in the 16 than our 22 because it seems to me that the seats are located almost on the center of balance and while you get some rocking, you don't get a of pounding. I think the 16 might have a little more freeboard than the 22 because when you board it, it is a big step from the rail. The narrow beam of the 16 means more rocking so you need to keep that in mind as you are moving around in the cockpit. Living in Boise means mostly lakes, but we fish kokanee a lot and as previously noted by others it is a 2 person fishing boat. The good news is that you are not far from your pole when you get a hit, and the cuddy still provides plenty of storage space. The C-Squirt has a Honda 50 EFI and we troll with it by using a drift boat sock. This gets us down to about 1.5 mph, allows control from the helm and eliminates the weight of a trolling motor. It also allows Ellen to steer from the helm and focus right on the fish finder.
Two consecutive nights is about the maximum we would want to spend on it, as it not very big, so things are snug. The cuddy is big enough for both of us with a minor modification. Ellen fits easily on the starboard side ahead of the helm. I am 6'1" and a little long so I cut a piece of plywood that fits under the port cushion and when bedtime hits, I slide the plywood out and under the port seat, throw out pillow, pull out the bag, and cut the z's.
Of course there are times when we miss the 22, especially the Wallas stove, and cabinet storage. Although there is storage under the cuddy on the 16 which the 22 didn't have, the 16 storage is somewhat difficult to access. I made some modifications that improved access.
The 16 is significantly easier to launch, dock and retrieve, and the cabin still provides very adequate wind and spray protection. I believe the 16 can be very practical if you limit it to 2 or maybe 3 persons at the most. For more than that or extended trips, I would opt for a bigger one.
Jack

johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 16' Arima before the 22' c-dory. I know it's not exactly apples to apples, but there's a world a difference between the two for the 2 - 3 waves we very typically get here in the northern inland waters of the Salish Sea. Not so much in the way of safety, but in the way of comfort and handling. I will not go back to a 16' in these waters for fishing. That being said, I imagine that there would be a similar quantum leap if I went to at 25' c-dory, that's why I refuse to set foot in one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: