Winter crabbing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Take it EC

City/Region: Bellevue
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2012
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Take It EC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Winter crabbing Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone would offer tips on winter crabbing, I've only gone in the summer but I'm hoping the winter season opens in puget sound. Are crabs in the same hotspots that are bountifull in the summer or do they move to deeper or shallower waters? Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, I'd be interested in hearing what others do. Up here in Area 7, I crab the same spots and depths as I do in the summer. In the winter, because of the lack of daylight hours, I almost always leave my traps in overnight, which I don't do as often in the summer. If pressed, I would say that I don't do as well in the winter as I do in the summer, but almost always come home with enough to feed the family.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really enjoy winter crabbing. In the summer its the big popular activity where we live, so winter time is much more relaxing at the launch

I think you can be more flexible where you place your pots in winter because there is so much more pressure on crab in summer.

For example, we live next to a boat launch, and people tend to place their pots close to the launch and in front of our place because its conveniant. If I were to go crabbing right now, I would not do very well right in front of our house because its been overfished since early July. I would go down the island to an area that isn't getting the same pressure. In the winter, I place those pots right out in front of the house because there's not many people crabbing and limited pressure.

So that's my not very scientific opinion!
Take it EC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Winter crabbing Reply with quote

I've been banking on the fact that boat traffic will be down and I guess the paranoia of crab pot thieves will go down too
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only tip is to be aware of where the commercial ( tribal or non tribal,like there is a difference) are setting their pots. Do not leave you pots over night close to where they are setting. Your pots will be gone or just empty if your lucky. I sit on my pots any more. Just never have crab if I leave them.

Remember that this summer the tulilip fish and game enforcement officer was arrested for????? pouching crab and shrimp out of season, over limits ( by several thousand pounds) and selling with out a licences. This is the guy that is suppose to be keeping a eye on the rest of the tribe????????? sit on your pots .

Take it EC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Winter crabbing Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I think fishing for bottom fish like flounder could pass the time while staying close. So it's good fish away from the pack so others might miss them? I always thought if you were fishing in the pack of crab pots there would be too much traffic and pots to empty them all. I heard video taping some one emptying your pot is the best proof if you catch them.
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trick for overnight crabbing is to drop my pots around moored boats. Near where I live there is a good crabbing area where boats are moored almost all year long, with people coming, going and overnighting on their boat. My thinking is that, unless the thief sees you drop the pot and leave (certainly possible), he will think that it's possible that the trap belongs to someone in one of the nearby boats and is watching the pot and so won't mess with it. At least that's what I tell myself. I also use cheap, collapsable traps so that if they do get stolen, it's less of a hit.

As an aside and with regards to traps being picked or poached, but not stolen... From time to time I pull up a pot that is cleaned out. No, crab, no bait left except for a few bones, nothing. And this in usually productive grounds. Did someone poach my crabs? So, now I shut my pot in a very, very particular way, so I KNOW if someone else opened it. The result? Whenever I've pulled up an empty pot, there has never been an any evidence that anybody tampered with the pot in any way. Not once. Interesting. Except for the time when my friends played a joke on me, took my crabs and left a bottle of tequila in the trap!
Take it EC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Winter crabbing Reply with quote

I always figured putting my pots in a protected cove, a dream spot would be shallow and the mouth of a bay so only shallow draft boats can get through. I like the mooring buoy though.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was up in the Broughtons, I went through a particularly narrow and shallow passage at nearly the bottom of low tide. Somebody had set crab traps about every 75-100 feet for half a mile. At the center of the passage, where it was the shallowest, with the broadest beach, there was a string of about 8 traps, all high and dry. They were a bit miss shaped, and looked to be in rather sad repair. About a quarter mile down the pass, I caught up with a nice big black bear, out for his morning stroll on the beach. He appeard to be a little crabby, so I left him alone.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

tcr_pnw

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Photos: Sea Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont change anything up summer vs. winter for crabbing. just usually end up with more hardshell crab due to less pressure on the fishery. also, 7 days a week is nice.
Take it EC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Winter crabbing Reply with quote

I hate to throw back big crab that are soft shelled but I they have very little meat in them anyways. Is the water a lot more rough or does it still depend on weather/wind.
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to crabbing someday, also clamming ,shrimping,scalloping and of course fishing. Its a shame you always have to worry about theft.
Take it EC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Winter crabbing Reply with quote

Crabbing opens October 1st in all areas but 10. Chinook season opens on October 1st for blackmouth also.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on sitting on pots. Although in fall and winter, I can usually drop away from any population and go fishing and come back and they are as I left them. Nice to crab when the coho are coming in like these next few weeks.

Always use fresh bait, my go to is chicken quarters, think Tom said it already, buy the 10 lb bag for around $7-8 dollars and salmon carcasses.

Love winter crab, yum!

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: