View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: What a storm in the PNW! Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever seen Bellingham Bay like I saw it today (I was on shore!). For a while this afternoon there were sustained winds over 40 kts with gust to I can't even guess. I actually saw a couple of small craft trying to make way in that gale. I feared for their safety. Madness to be out there. Yesterday, in anticipation of the coming storm, we cancelled a long anticipated trip to Stuart to fish for pinks...a rare good move on my part. As someone else said here, the worst thing to have on the water is a schedule. Hope everyone is safe and boats are sound.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was ugly. For the first time that I recall in 4 years of driving the whale watch boats in Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor, we canceled trips today. It was the smart move. Haro Strait was a froth of whitecaps.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John, Glad you had good sense yesterday. (BTW, I don't think that is an unusual state for you Laughing glad to know you were watching that from onshore....

I stopped by John Wayne today just after noon. A rare SE wind blowing across the bay, 3 foot white caps going through the field of anchored sail boats in the bay south of the marina. Wild ride out there for them.

There was a fleet of Thistle and Flying Scots here for a weekend regatta, with about 15 boats parked in the parking lot and the race committee all watching the waves and scratching their heads. Interestingly, the wind was against the incoming tide and the channel was where the stand up waves were the biggest. Outside of the channel, where the marching tide was eddiing around, there were hardly any wave action. The wave against tide was incredibly obvious.

On the way home, the radio was talking of Power outages from the Hood Canal bridge to Port Townsend and winds from 30-40 with gusts to 50.

Good day to be solidly anchored in good protection, in a marina, or on the trailer.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was wind of 35kts sustained with gusts to 70 predicted for the beaches near Ilwaco this weekend. I decided to stay home. We have been without power for about 10 hours so far and probably will take another 10 or more before it is restored. I fired up the Honda generators to keep the fridge and freezers cold and opened up a bottle of wine.
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your survival skills Rog! Had sprinkles this afternoon in Sequim, 2-3 knot wind gusting to 5 on our hill. The channel 5 weather reporting site West of town had 45 mph wind however.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen the Strait of Juan de Fuca like it was today, but not what you might think...

Winds were severe - our trees were swaying and creaking, power outages routine, roads were blocked by falling trees. However...the Strait in front of us was almost flat. Usually, with winds half as bad as we were seeing today it puts on quite a show.

My empty garbage can blew uphill minutes before I took this photo.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
I've never seen the Strait of Juan de Fuca like it was today, but not what you might think...

Winds were severe - our trees were swaying and creaking, power outages routine, roads were blocked by falling trees. However...the Strait in front of us was almost flat. Usually, with winds half as bad as we were seeing today it puts on quite a show.

My empty garbage can blew uphill minutes before I took this photo.

'Twas a southerly wind no? Your bluff should leave the strait in it's lee.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
'Twas a southerly wind no? Your bluff should leave the strait in it's lee.

That might explain it close in, but it looked flat 12 miles across...
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill- Which way were the currents running, how strong, and in what relation to the wind?

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World news just showed a bridge and lake Washington State ,conditions were scary looking.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new day, different conditions. Still lumpy in parts of Haro Strait, but it began to lay down as the wind and current started running together. My last whale watch trip for the season took us well into Juan de Fuca... and it was absolutely beautiful. Not flat calm, but not stirred up.

Long trip, but a nice way to wrap up our season here (good whale viewing, nice water and weather).

It took a long time to clean up the boat this morning - every horizontal surface was covered with pine needles that the wind carried in and dumped. Plenty of branches in the road on my commute to Roche... and windrows of pine needles on the road.

We had July-type weather in May through most of August. The weather weasels were calling this storm a "late fall, early winter type of system." Yeah, it's about time to head south. Cool

Jim B.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove down 101 to Olympia today. Lots of places where there were trees down, some had been across the road. Tons of branches along the sides. Hood Canal at Hoodsport was frothy and 75% whitecaps.

Jim my friend, you are leaving too early. We still have the fall colors to show yet.

Harvey
Sleepy C
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting statistics here, glad I was not "out and about in a boat".
http://cliffmass.blogspot.com

M

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grumpy wrote:
Interesting statistics here, glad I was not "out and about in a boat".
http://cliffmass.blogspot.com
Good summary. Did not realize how extreme the winds were on the WA coast. We sure got thrashed here.
ddenver

City/Region: Quilcene
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Renity
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Messy storm indeed Reply with quote

We are still without public utility electrical power today and the word is it might not be restored until sometime tomorrow (i.e. Tuesday) here on the Coyle Peninsula - as it is known to the locals (it appears as the Toandos Peninsula on maps however) - which sits between the Olympic Peninsula and Dabob Bay to the west and the Kitsap Peninsula, Hood Canal, and Bangor Sub base to our east.

During the storm the surface of Dabob Bay appeared to be pure white from the myriad whitecaps present. Sure would not have wanted to be caught out on the Hood Canal in a boat during that period.

Lost lots of trees and wound up spending most of the day Saturday and Sunday picking up downed branches and leaves. Immediate neighbor had a large maple section break off and a fir tree go down also. Luckily, both missed the house although a branch punched a small hole in the wood door going to their garage.

Another tree wound up crushing the small wooden fence around the community water system's propane tank and coming to rest on the pumphouse all adjacent to our property.

We still have a tree resting on the severely sagging power line over the community entrance road which is the probable cause for our local electrical outage.

Luckily, our boat in its 'summer time' slip at Port Ludlow Marina appears to be resting peacefully and shows no sign of the storm.

Take care,
Dan, Tanya, and Hannah on Echo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: