View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Compass required? Reply with quote

I have a question....

Per the USCG recreational boat requirements, is it required to have a magnetic compass? With the proliferation of electronic heading display devices, is it really necessary to have a magnetic compass? On my boat I usually have at least 3 devices on board that have GPS receivers and COG displays. One of more of these might also have electronic compass components.

According to the Canadian boating regulations a magnetic compass is required for boats over 8m. A boat under 8m is not required to have a magnetic compass if it is operated "within sight of navigation marks".

I cannot find any mention of a required magnetic compass in the USCG recreational boating information on the web.

I just want to know if anyone knows if a magnetic compass is required equipment, I don't want to start along thread on whether having one or not is a good idea.

Thanks.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No compass required in the USA. I sold a fluxgate compass to a Canadian who thought he could use it on his charter dive boat--not so, Canada requires a magnetic compass--fluxgate did not qualify. He used it on recreational boat, where it apparently meet the requirements.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Bob, No magnetic or for that matter compass, requirement for US recreational vessels.

Canadian requirements are stricter than US.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Dessert 1st" had a nice compass already installed when I bought her, so I left it in place.

On the other hand, I bought "Naknek" new in 2003 and outfitted her to my spec's, which did not include a magnetic compass.

...but I kept my old Boy Scout 'silva (compass) handy in a drawer just in case. Some habits are hard to break. 😄

Best,
C&M

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Compass required? Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
I have a question....

Per the USCG recreational boat requirements, is it required to have a magnetic compass? With the proliferation of electronic heading display devices, is it really necessary to have a magnetic compass? On my boat I usually have at least 3 devices on board that have GPS receivers and COG displays. One of more of these might also have electronic compass components.

According to the Canadian boating regulations a magnetic compass is required for boats over 8m. A boat under 8m is not required to have a magnetic compass if it is operated "within sight of navigation marks".

I cannot find any mention of a required magnetic compass in the USCG recreational boating information on the web.

I just want to know if anyone knows if a magnetic compass is required equipment, I don't want to start along thread on whether having one or not is a good idea.

Thanks.

I will Never rely only on ELECTRONICS! Wink
You only have to get bit once. Shocked
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with a kayak it could be essential to know what direction the shoreline or hazardous areas are should a sudden fog bank move in.
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I would assume that if you are spending any time in Canadian waters that you would need a compass if you are over 8M which is 26.25 ft. So if you are a C-Dory you should be in compliance. Although I too would not want to depend only on electronics.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Compass required? Reply with quote

[quote="ssobol"A boat under 8m is not required to have a magnetic compass if it is operated "within sight of navigation marks".[/quote]

That's a good one. How many times have I found myself socked-in in a matter of minutes. I was within sight of navigation markers just moments ago. Then, there was no requirement for a magnetic compass. Now, it's required. Without a magnetic compass, do I wait until the fog clears so that my boat is legal again in Canada?

There is no requirement that it be an expensive magnetic compass. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Car-Vehicle-Floating-Ball-Magnetic-Navigation-Compass-Black-/371217540547?hash=item566e4a25c3

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ssobol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Canada you are required to have a compass if you are out of sight of landmarks. However, you are not required to have charts. So if you are in the soup all you can do is hold a heading, but you might not be able to determine which heading is best. A compass will keep you from sailing in circles though.

If you have a compass, there is no guarantee that it is accurate. Even if it is not, it still might let you hold a constant course (whatever it may truly be). I doubt few if any recreational boat owners have a compass correction card for their compass.

My panel mounted Ritchie compass heading can be tens of degrees different from the GPS COG, even in calm conditions. I have far more confidence in the GPS information than what the compass says.
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
In Canada you are required to have a compass if you are out of sight of landmarks. However, you are not required to have charts. So if you are in the soup all you can do is hold a heading, but you might not be able to determine which heading is best. A compass will keep you from sailing in circles though.

If you have a compass, there is no guarantee that it is accurate. Even if it is not, it still might let you hold a constant course (whatever it may truly be). I doubt few if any recreational boat owners have a compass correction card for their compass.

My panel mounted Ritchie compass heading can be tens of degrees different from the GPS COG, even in calm conditions. I have far more confidence in the GPS information than what the compass says.

I find it somewhat amusing to see a discussion of minimal requirements for a pleasure craft sailing in Canadian waters. Like the fear of prosecution is all one should be concerned with? Hey, we are Canadian- friendly and polite --LOL. Now lets get to the safety aspect regardless of the Regs. A back-up minimum hand held compass is always along with a small Richie cabin mounted magnetic compass on my 16' C-Dory. Charts -- I would never leave on any trip without paper charts. Why-- because electronic systems can and do fail at times. Yes complying with the Regs. is good -- common sense is better--IMO

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Be prepared -- that's the Boy Scouts marching song."

If an electronic system (or systems) can fail, someday they will.

We will be cruising north of the magnetic pole in a few weeks, so my old scout compass might have a problem.Smile

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the compass directly in front of the helm, I'd feel funny without it. I always am checking it's reading to the gps heading
I for one need a good fixed mount compass aboard
El and Bill you'll be surprised at the dip up north, just where you really need a compass they don't work, they dip down and the card sticks
George
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - thanks George - that will sure make our old scout compass a marvelous entertainment. Your GPS was a joy, and got you through the arctic.
ssobol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueback wrote:
...Regs. is good -- common sense is better...

Common sense and regulations don't often go together.
Gene Stebbs.

City/Region: McMinnville
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am probably considered old school as long as it has been since I did any serious boat traveling but I would want a magnetic compass that had been installed and swung by a professional......not even sure I would use a chart plotter, probably just pull out the paper charts, parralell rules, and dividers, the radar does help greatly in keeping tabs on any pendulum swing caused by tide or wind, "line up high/low points" in the geography worked well with good visability to track relative position. I actually enjoyed working with the charts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: