The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SOS LED distress signal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: SOS LED distress signal Reply with quote

Active Captain's Defender "special of the week" is a "Sirius Signal": LED SOS signal. Apparently this meets US Coast Guard requirements for a night distress signal, and a black circle/squared on orange background standard day distress signal. (for $79.99 with Active captain code)

https://siriussignal.com Is the maker's web site (all developed and made in America.

Not yet approved by Transport Canada.

What are your opinions of this as a distress signal? (As I understand, this light is the only required night distress signal--no more new flares.)

I'll reserve my thoughts for now.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Lost Petrel

City/Region: Potter Valley
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it would be nice to never have to worry about being in compliance, I couldn't feel like that would be as effective as ariel flares night or day.

http://lostpetrel.blogspot.com/
Other boats;
Cape Dory Typhoon
Pearson Ariel
My Galleries
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Bob, I guess I'd have to see just how bright and attention getting it is. I spend a fair amount of time looking out on the water at various and sortid lights and unless the signal was really significantly different and attention grabbing, I'm not sure it would spring me into action. Now, if a saw a flare, I would call The CG. Might be that we would learn to attribute a certain familiarity to something new and learn to differentiate it enough to be useful beyond location marking. Certainly would be illuminating longer than a flare.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, unless there is something (unmentioned) that distinguishes this SOS light from other types of light, I expect that it could be overlooked amongst other lights unless someone has already called for help and the rescuers are actively looking for something.

Also, aerial signals can be seen from a much greater range due to their height even if they do not last all that long.

That said, having something that does not expire and have to be replaced because some date has passed would be nice. Not having to transport and/or dispose of hazardous material would also be nice. There is much less chance of accidents with this SOS light vs. flares or shells.

On the other hand, the SOS light would not be as effective for self defense (as seen in movies) as flares or shells. In a pinch, signal flares also make decent fire starters.

On a cost equivalent basis, the SOS light will need to be useful for more than 9 years to beat the cost of recreational boat flares. Will it last that long?
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the flashing ... --- ... (SOS) code should distinguish it from other lights. However it clearly won't go up as high as a flare so visibility from various places on land and in higher swells and seas will be limited in some cases. On the other hand, it does have the benefit of staying on for far longer than a flare so that might make up for the reduced visibility due to height of the ground. The handheld stick flares only burn for 3 minutes and a 12g meteor type flare has a specified burn time of about 7s. This will signal for hours.

Also, if your alternative is a handheld stick flare, the height of this is the same without the fire hazard. Finally, some people should probably never have any flame source in their fiberglass boat as evidenced by this story posted by a guy in 2009.

For a day time signal it probably won't be as effective as a smoky handheld flare and I'm not sure the flag would be too useful as unfortunately many recreational boaters have no idea what a distress flag indicates. I think it's probably a nice replacement for the handheld flares but I'd still want a few meteor types on board.

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.
I bought the ACR version (blinks SOS for up to 72 hours) when it first came out.
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/sa1842.html
That would be equivalent to thousands of flares, in theory.
In reality, in many areas there are a multitude of lights already, which can be confused with lights on land and nonemergency lights.
Keep your sissified milqetoast panty-waisted Cree LED. I'll take ONLY SOLAS approved manly night distress signals (and type I Offshore SOLAS 2010 standard lifejackets with Revere SOLAS strobes). And no one will mistake them for a kid watching the movie Gravity on his cellphone. Especially if all my 150 gallons of gas is floating with us when I fire off a SOLAS flare. That would get lots more attention than that wimpy LED toy.
On the other hand, I might get one.
Dr Bob, I find that if I Reserve my thoughts too long they Leave. Don't let that happen here.
Cheers!
John

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My handheld radio has strobe and have 2 flashlights carried onboard that strobe also PLB has one
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I think what you show is a great idea. As a matter of fact, I got tired of buying flares that I never used several years ago and went and read the requirements. The requirement is (and it's paraphrased) to have a visual signaling device for both day and night. Detail here: BoatSafe Visual Distress Signals.

So the orange flag is valid for daytime and the flashing light is valid for night. Mine is incandescent and used a 6 volt battery which I replace every year (or so.) Meets the requirement.

The BoatSafe article referenced above is written by a Coast Guard commander and he recommends a VHF radio as the best safety feature. Got 2 of those: fixed and handheld.

I think that LED device is a great idea.

Boris
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be putting ditch bag together for next season with everything needed. Will have E-Pirb for boat and small locater device for our life jackets. Strobe light whistle ect on life jackets also floating vhf radio.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
Interesting.
I bought the ACR version (blinks SOS for up to 72 hours) when it first came out.
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/sa1842.html
That would be equivalent to thousands of flares, in theory.
In reality, in many areas there are a multitude of lights already, which can be confused with lights on land and nonemergency lights.
Keep your sissified milqetoast panty-waisted Cree LED. I'll take ONLY SOLAS approved manly night distress signals (and type I Offshore SOLAS 2010 standard lifejackets with Revere SOLAS strobes). And no one will mistake them for a kid watching the movie Gravity on his cellphone. Especially if all my 150 gallons of gas is floating with us when I fire off a SOLAS flare. That would get lots more attention than that wimpy LED toy.
On the other hand, I might get one.
Dr Bob, I find that if I Reserve my thoughts too long they Leave. Don't let that happen here.
Cheers!
John

John always has good ideas--but my thoughts don't fly away...

It seems like half of the flashlights you buy these days, have an SOS beacon function. John is correct, that you have to be looking at the beam, unless you are at close range to know what it is. However the ACR (great products) light is not 360 degrees, and has to be "pointed", and it has been discontented for some reason. I could not find it in the current ACR line up.

Larry Patrick, good on for building an emergency kit. When we were crossing oceans, we had one EPRIB packed with the inflatable, and one by the main companionway. (No PLB at that time, but we would have had one for each crew member. We did have portable VHF, in a water tight container.
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the device yesterday.

I expect that the USCG tested prototypes before approval, so I'm satisfied with that. Meanwhile, I will continue to carry the collection of outdated flares currently on board; but now they will be strictly backups - the legal requirement is covered by the new device.

In actual use I suspect the device would be blindingly bright (at night), and it appears to be omnidirectional. I'm assuming it floats.

After it arrives I plan to take it down to the pool, at night, to give it a try. Stay tuned.

Best,
C&M

'o cino

City/Region: Aviano
State or Province: Other
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Patrick wrote:
Will be putting ditch bag together for next season with everything needed. Will have E-Pirb for boat and small locater device for our life jackets. Strobe light whistle ect on life jackets also floating vhf radio.

Along with the techie stuff, we have low-tech gear that takes little space:
Speedo swim caps (I use the hotel shower caps in the field)
A huge leaf bag (garbage bag) to stay inside of
Some swim goggles or at least a dive mask

If you've ever spent more than several hours bobbing in the open water, you'll know why these are primo importante.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose having both would be ideal. After you get peoples attention with a starburst flare they would be able to home in on your exact location with the beacon. I won't be throwing out my flares any time soon. As others have said flares can serve different purposes in a pinch. In Canada where getting a permit to carry and transport a handgun is next to impossible some boaters take comfort in having the 12 gauge onboard as some sort of defensive weapon. I would certainly walk away if somebody was pointing one at me.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart phones, tablets, and LEDs are taking over the world.

At USCG Aux. classes last year the signaling devices presenter showed us the various flares, but then he showed a variety of LED. It was obvious the LEDs were or shortly would be far better. And some are bright enough for daytime alerting.

And in the navigation class the presenter after training us in the paper version and compass (which will never go out of date) discussed electronic versions. Chart plotters are inherently kludgey, I got one, but it will be the last. A small computer or larger pad will be far better. Even my large smart phone does a great job. Chart plotter do a great job at integrating depth, radar, maps, and heading, but the adept (not me at this point) can or will be doing much of the same. In a year or two.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the CG test it? I thought they didn't and the vendor does it to met the required standards published in CFR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: