View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldraker

City/Region: Amarillo
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: See-Saw
Photos: See-Saw
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: the Carolina Loop Reply with quote

I know several of you have posted on here before about the Carolina Loop, but I have posted a new article on Examiner.com about the loop, with photos. Of course, many include See-Saw! You can access the article by clicking on http://exm.nr/1NKbfnq or http://www.examiner.com/article/boating-the-carolina-loop. If you enjoy the article, please share it with friends.

Lyle and I did the loop in late September of 2011, right after the C-Dory Event at Oriental, NC. And special thanks to Erma and the rest of the North Carolina Brats who encouraged us and gave advice so that we felt comfortable doing it by ourselves, even though none of the group was able to accompany us. Y'all are great, and you put on a lovely gathering in Oriental.

So if any of you haven't done the loop but are considering it, just do it; it's wonderful! Yes, West Coasters, it's worth crossing the country for! Smile

Janda

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janda,
Thanks for posting the link to the mini-loop article. Joan and I have taken this trip about 4 times and I take my grandkids to the Dismal Swamp by boat often for overnighters and they always have a great time.
At Elizabeth City, we once planned to moor at the downtown free dock, but any unfavorable wind, make it a very rough mooring. We have moored at Pelican several times as well and though the boat has a little better protection, we have still found it almost dangerous to get on and off the boat (waves would almost wash you off of the swim platform) with unfavorable winds. The last time we did the trip, we moored at Lambs Marina. Though Lambs is a bit farther from downtown, they give you a vehicle to use at no cost. Lambs looked to be a bit on the rough side, but we found that the mooring is very protected from the weather, they have fuel and a small store and diner as well as newer showers and toilet facilities.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
ldraker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: about Carolina Loop Reply with quote

Steve,
Thanks for your comments about my article and about the facilities in Elizabeth City. We had really nice weather throughout our little excursion, so we didn't have any problems. We spent the first night at Pelican Marina and left our tow rig there while we were gone. They were very accommodating. And then we spent the night at the end of the trip at Mariners' Wharf, with several friendly folks to visit with, a delightful time!
You're fortunate to live so near this beautiful area, and your grandkids are privileged! Enjoy!
(Of course, we on the High Plains have advantages too! Lyle and I live 30 minutes from the second largest canyon in the U.S.! Come see us!)
Janda
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: the Carolina Loop Reply with quote

We will probably are going to take this trip in early October. We plan to leave from either Cape May New Jersey or Rock Hall Maryland. I wonder if it would be crowded then with the snow birds leaving to head back down to Florida? I assume the marinas don't close up just after Labor day.
D.D.

srbaum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will-C,
Most big boats head south after hurricane season for insurance reasons... Our season technically ends November 30. On the other hand, there are a bunch of snow bird sailors heading south on or about October 23.
Based on your anticipated trip, you should have little traffic headed south during your trip.
OSPREY will be doing an overnighter with several other C-Dory's at Smithfield Station on 6-7 September and may very well also be making a loop on or about the time that you plan.
Feel free to look us up as we have an 75' floating dock near mile marker zero (of the ICW) and the cost to moor for C-Brats is free (water and power included).
srbaum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janda,
Be careful of what you wish for, by offering Joan and I a visit... Our younger son and family just moved to Springs Texas, so we may very well have a reason to head to your area of the country for a visit (with OSPREY in tow of course).
ldraker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: reply to Steve Reply with quote

Steve, we'd really enjoy having y'all. Several C-Brats have come through Amarillo over the years and stayed with us--Tex and Sharon, Bruce and Joyce, i.e., and others have just stopped and gone to lunch with us as they headed on. We have a guest room and spare bath, and we'll take you out to dinner and swap travel stories and tips about boats! Let us know when you might be through, and we'll plan around your visit. (We do travel a few months of the year, so we'll want to be sure we'll be home.)
Send us a private message when you have a plan. Smile
Janda and Lyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: