View previous topic :: View next topic  
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: wifi access whle cruising Reply with quote

OK, all you computer nerds, I need help.
What is the best way to access the internet while cruising? I've heard of portable hotspots and other gadgets, but would really appreciate some ideas from all of you.

Hank Clow
Meri Aura
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use a smartphone and connect that way.

Charllie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have had a cell phone, and hate to get one just to have computer access ... is there any other way ? ( don't like talking on the phone )

Joel
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel, I have an I-Phone and talking on it is the thing I do least. But I use it for e-mail, internet, tides, vessel traffic, weather, satellite TV dish pointing, locating cheapest gas and on and on.

If you don't want to talk, don't give out the number! But the available technology is well worth it.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart phone is probably the easiest way, but I still have a dumb phone. Since I have a Verizon plan, I was able to get a little "personal hotspot" that was fairly inexpensive and allows me to connect a computer (actually several computers) to the internet at my cabin, which recently got cell coverage. I could also take it to the coffee shop and sit there all day with my laptop (like the other customers). As long as I have Verizon phone coverage I can connect to the internet using this little gadget. Battery life isn't very long (5 hours?) if you don't turn it off when not in use.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/jetpack-mifi-6620l/

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I have a couple of Droid smart phones. We have also a Verizon Jet Pack called an Ellipsis. Our plan 80 dollars a month for all three devices includes the two phones and the jet pack 10 gigs a month data shared. We use a small 40 watt inverter and use the Jetpack for inter net while trailering to our destination. Verizon seems to have the best service in our part of the country anyway. We usually use a marinas free internet for most things like emails etc. Any banking or items that you think need a little more security we use the jetpack. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes but thinner. It can be run on battery for about 8 hours. Comes with a 120 volt plug and a USB cable plugs into that. Can use just the USB to charge it by plugging into a laptop. This works well for us.
D.D.

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find this source, albeit a little dated, on ActiveCaptain helpful.

https://activecaptain.com/articles/mobilePhones/intro.php.

Other topics of interest to boaters are also found here.

Aye.

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a FreedomPop wifi hotspot that connects to 3 G or 4G cellular network. It works fine for basic needs and inexpensive compared to cell phone tethering. I pay $3.98 per month plus data fees when go over 500 Mb. If you don't use it all of the time, you can downgrade to the free monthly account and reactivate it later online but the account may go inactive and need to go online to re activate. 2 weeks ago it would not connect the 3G/4G needed to reset the 3G PNL and 4 G info which was not straightforward and time consuming. I had to call them bc wifiMax service is being phased out and all connections wil 3G/4G and needed to it to use 3G/4G netowrks

I think it permits 8 users accessing it at one time and mostly use in Florida.

This is not a gizmo for heavy Youtube and Netflix users. but for me less expensive than Verizon options and fees

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Verizon jet back, as Mark notes. I also have a 10 gig data plan on my AT & T I phones I pad. These hook up directly to the cell tower, when you use a browser etc. I also have a really cheap pay by the minute Verizon flip phone--mostly for Powell , as well as other remote areas where A T &T has not yet discovered.

Right now I am using fairly fast wi fi at the Waheep camp ground Lake Powell (not secure). There are a lot of RV parks, Starbucks, McDonalds etc which have free Wifi.

Also some folks have an amplifier. and antenna, I do have one for both WiFi, and for my cell phones, if they are marginal signals.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank,
All I know about tech could be summarized on a single 5" floppy disk. In fact, at one time it was. I forget where I put it.
In this one single solitary category we are very cheap and frugal...not like us.....no I-Phone 6 Plus for us (though I'd like one).
We each have a 4.7" screen droid no-contract 4G smartphone ($250) with Virgin Mobile @ $35/mo (includes all fees taxes/300 anytime min and unlimited data ) on Sprint's 4g LTE network (not as good as Verizon but covers local waters, home, work, interstate corridors and most of ICW). No hot spot capabilities. In 10 years we have never paid extra for talk or data, and were able to keep our non-recycled, 25 year old cell numbers. We also have OnStar in the truck, which will connect when any cell phone won't.
These can't access Active Captain or other non-android programs on the net of course, but can get several weather radar loop programs for free from Play store, Pure Gas.com (nearest ethanol free 87), Gas Buddy (nearest gas and diesel and prices), google navigation, NOAA weather, tides, etc.
We each have a Kindle Fire HD with a WiFi only connection. Amazon gave a very generous credit for our old devices. Amazon Prime is a steal with the music + movies + TV + free 2day delivery to your marina of most anything sold on the web.
The cheapest 13" HD screen internet laptop I found with WiFi PLUS connection via 4g when no free wireless is around is this $279 el cheapo laptop. Easy online activation of T-Mobile. Free 200g per month for life by T-Mobile, can add more data for $. (Surprise). Now we have Active Captain, bank access, a much larger radar picture, and access to any program on a much larger screen for my poor old eyes on the boat, in the car, home, or anywhere there's a T-Mobile signal... and uses wifi when available (set it so). No hard drive, CD drive or sex appeal. Not for more remote areas like Powell, or streaming movies via 4G of course.
Cheap plastic, just had it a month, but so far meets our needs for a free for life 4G connection with a 13" HD screen. For 1/3 of a boat unit, not bad. Not bad at all.
Lots of choices, and as with so many issues, your best choice will depend on your use, your location, your desires, your Admiral, and your budget. Although not neccessarily in that order.
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-stream-notebook---13-c030nr-%28energy-star%29
Dr Bob, you guys are missing a Canadian cold front that has the highs at only 90 and a record breaking low of 66 tomorrow. Have a great trip!
Cheers!

John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Not too different weather than Page AZ. Down to the mid 60's at night, and days in the high 80's to low 90's… Outside temp at 10:30 PM tonight is about 69 very pleasant. (Yesterday both of our weather almost (NOAA) went off, and weather was predicting wind child factor of minus 215 degrees! (Someone sure put the wrong data in the NOAA broadcast!)
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same question - but for Canada.

Where/How to get economic wifi/internet connections in Canada?

Mary and I hope to spend most of the summer (2016) up 'North doing the Trent Severn and Rideau canals. We are currently using iPhones (AT&T and Verizon) and a Verizon iPad with prepaid monthly data. The iPhones each have grandfathered unlimited data plans, but none of them work in Canada. I think the Verizon International Plan might work, but the data costs are are really high compared to US plans. Any suggestions?

I "heard" that T-Mobile's unlimited data plan may work in Canada but haven't verified that rumor. ...and, would getting T-Mobile work on our current toy's, or would it require new phones, etc?

Best,
C&M
...back home in The Villages, but about to head norh to retrieve "Dessert 1st."

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at Roam Mobile?
brevity

C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: BREVITY
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have one of these portable 3g/wifi hotspots (from T-mobile, 3gb for $30/month, no contract) but have had problems with reception in more remote areas.

A few days ago I decided to try one of these:
http://www.thewirie.com/marine-wifi-3g-product-pro.html

It's a combination long range wifi antenna AND long range 3g/4g antenna. I'm hoping for MUCH better cellular internet service in remote harbors - I'll report my findings as soon as I have any.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is to check with family members, sometimes through work or other associations better plans are available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: